F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The 3/4 and up seem to be decent. It's anecdotal but everybody I knew who had a F-150 sold it in and either bought a RAM or Tundra because their F150 lived in the shop.
At 130,000 miles on my '15 f150 (5.0) now. Aside from regular maintenance, I've had to replace a leadframe on the transmission and the water pump.
I'm going with another Ford but this time a 3.5. If that one turns out to be junk, I'd go Tundra. It was a close call for me between the '22Tundra and F150.

stevo_pct

2017’s were still getting tweaked to fix design stuff. A 2019 is even quite a bit different than a 17. I wouldn’t really say they are the same given how many changes took place from 17 to 19.

I'm pretty sure there was a new version of the 5.0 in either 2017 or 2018. I'm hoping they worked out the issues and the one I have in my 2019 is fine and will last a long time.

Explorerinil

Observer
I've read the 7.3 w/ 10 speed get about the same mileage as a 6.2 w/ 6 speed. So I'd go 7.3.

I believe you can only get the 6.2 w/ 10 speed in the F350.
Mpg wise the 7.3 will do the same or a tad better than the 6.2. But with more power and simplicity. I got a friend with an f250 with the 6.2, we did a comparison. I think you can get the 6.2 with a 10 speed as an option in the f250 as well… I might be wrong.

Explorerinil

Observer
Yeah but isn't this new 7.3 a new complicated engine and the 6.2 is proven one?
The same for the 10 speed.

You can it on a f350, not on f250.
The 7.3 is far less complicated and much more robust than the 6.2. The 7.3 is a single cam engine with pushrods, forged internals, 8 spark plugs vs 16 and a six bolt main cast iron block. The 6.2 has dual over head cams, 16 spark plugs, etc.

1000arms

One might look at the following regarding the "Godzilla" Ford 7.3L gas engine.

The following quotes are from the above link.

"The new pushrod Ford displaces 445 cubic inches and while it’s not slated for the 2021 Mustang, you can order one from Ford Performance as a crate engine for swaps or custom builds and the aftermarket is starting to respond with parts to improve performance.

Godzilla, as it’s being called, was developed as an option for F-250-and-up Super Duty models as a severe-duty engine that’s powerful, durable, and affordable to build and maintain. Interestingly enough, the very features that make it a strong truck engine get us hot rodders fired up, too. We’ve already seen one make over 700 horsepower naturally aspirated and 1,450 horsepower with a supercharger!
"

"The 445 cubic inch "Godzilla" is fairly compact for a big-cube block, with dimensions that are just a little bit bigger than a 351W small-block."

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
6.2 is definitely proven. But what makes you say the 7.3 is complicated (relative to the 6.2)?
That was my understanding that the 7.3 is a "modern" engine whatever new and unproven things are associated with it (given strict EPA regulations too).
I would love to be proven wrong.

The 7.3 is a single cam engine with pushrods, forged internals, 8 spark plugs vs 16 and a six bolt main cast iron block.
Thanks, this is very interesting.
One question, isn't what you described more of an "old schools engine" than the 6.2? I wonder why did Ford have to "revert back"? could not they just make the 6.2 bigger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles