F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I feel like we reached peak vehicle about 10-15 years ago - before infotainment systems and ever increasing safety nanny systems took over as the major innovations and selling features of new vehicles. Mechanically, reliability was good in the early 2000's, and largely still is. The major issues these days seem to center around electrical gremlins.
Nah... 2005ish? No way.

That's when GM 4l60E's, 4x4 actuators were going out and steering shaft clunks were happening, cam phasers and spark plugs going out on 5.4's Toyota frames were rusting out, Titan's axles were breaking.... Dodges were....Dodges...

D45

Explorer
2.7L - 165 cid
325 HP @ 5,000
400 TQ @ 2,750

3.5L - 213 cid
375 HP @ 5,000
470 TQ @ 2,500

5.0L - 302 cid
395 HP @ 5,750
400 TQ @ 4,500

These numbers are based off the 2018 model year

2016 3.5L specs:

365 HP @ 5,000
420 TQ @ 2,500

NHBeast

2012 Ford Raptor

6.2L - 379 cid
411 HP @ 5,500
434 TQ @ 4,500

Another engine option
2018 Ford Raptor
3.5L
450 HP
510 TQ
0-60 5.1 seconds
Tows a 2800 lb travel trailer...12mpg. Always in the Boost
Limited payload... installed Roadmaster Active Suspension
Change oil often
Fun factor is high

UHAULER

Explorer
Doesn't sound like anyone has built a problem free truck in last half dozen years.
Depressing.
I've been following this thread as I have been thinking of selling my 04 f250 with a v10 6 speed. Thinking of downsizing to a 1/2 ton, don't have a camp trailer now and mostly hauling a dirtbike. Was thinking maybe a f150 with a 5.0 or 2.7 , mainly looking for good mpg. I would have thought vehicles would be getting more reliable. The best truck I ever had was a 2000 Chevy silverado 1/2 ton 2wd with a 5.3, bought it used 3 years old with 45k miles, had it 7 years and put on another 110k miles with just normal maintenance.

How about an f150 with a 5.3 ? ?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Maverick easily does a dirt bike. And runs in the high 20’s low 30’s for mileage. More payload than a Tacoma?????. In all seriousness I would totally have a hybrid Maverick to do my rental maintenance and daily stuff. Same system my wife’s Fusion has its been an awesome vehicle. Hybrid fwd will do 40mpg.

ITTOG

Nobody has ever built a "problem free" truck in the history of trucks, ever. And yes, that includes Toyota.
You can take that approach with everything ever made. It is all just relative. Thus, saying Toyota is the most problem free of the trucks does stand the test of time. That doesn't state it is problem free, just more problem free when comparing to other builders.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Even the old 70's / 80's trucks (and cars) we had still had issues. I don't think a problem free vehicle has ever been built - by any manufacturer.

Ha! That's putting it mildly. Compared to today, vehicles from the 60's, 70's and 80's were absolute POS's.

Trucks used to have 5 digit odometers for a reason. And the reason was because by the time it hit 100,000 miles it needed major work.

Turning 100k on a vehicle used to be a big deal. Now, nobody blinks an eye at 200k on a vehicle.

Really, given how many computers and sensitive electronics modern vehicles have, and how they're exposed to extremes of temperature, constant vibration, towing, off-road driving, stop-and-go city driving, etc, it's amazing how resilient modern vehicles are.

ricoisme26

I currently have a 2012 F150 5.0 (1st gen for this motor) I'm happy overall with its performance, bought the truck with 82k about to hit 120k, do a fair share of towing with it and I've had it loaded down pretty good. Recently took a hit on mpg but its tough to tell why as no two tanks of gas are the same and almost all have some towing/hauling on them.

I am always looking at new trucks and recently took a look at the 3.5 ecoboost. Until this I was set on another 5.0 (if I stuck with an F150) because the V8 is "simple" even with the 2021 cylinder deactivation, great opportunity to save fuel I told myself... In reality the 5.0 is on its 4th generation since it was introduced in 2011. power is up, I would hope reliability but with the requirement of new "features" like the cylinder deactivation its hard to tell. All vehicles today are very complex machines, the reality of mass production means that statistics are used to control quality and there are acceptable defects, I wouldn't be surprised if the motor heads mentioned above labeled as "defective" were because they very well could have been.

That said, the 3.5 ecoboost was introduced in 2011 as well and is only on its 2nd generation, from my recent research it seems they identified weak points on the first gen and addressed them with the second gen. There will always be opportunity for failures, I believe most defects should work themselves out well within the manufacturer warranty and that's why its still provided, I'm sure manufacturers would love to drop warranty coverage and save themselves $ on running an entire department but they know they'd spend as much or more taking calls on complaints or have to spend much much more to guarantee defect free products.

If I were to go buy an f150 today my first choice would be the 3.5 ecoboost, it would be best for my application, towing/hauling. I think the 5.0 would do fine as well so if I found a trim that had what I wanted with either engine I don't think I'd walk away based on either engine

my $0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles