F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

jadmt

ignore button user
I had an interesting conversation with my Ford tech buddy this weekend. He said he was working on 26 new fords in his slot alone right now. He said ford is turning out biggest POS right now. His exact words, only he said pieces of ********. he said the 10 speed is the strangest shifting pos right now. Kind of scary one tech with 26 new fords all needing work...

D45

Explorer
I had an interesting conversation with my Ford tech buddy this weekend. He said he was working on 26 new fords in his slot alone right now. He said ford is turning out biggest POS right now. His exact words, only he said pieces of ********. he said the 10 speed is the strangest shifting pos right now. Kind of scary one tech with 26 new fords all needing work...

I would love to know what models and model years.......

I wouldn't buy new, 2018 to 2019 seems like solid years

I think I will miss the 6 speed auto. Was 2014 the last F150 model year with the 6 speed?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I would love to know what models and model years.......

I wouldn't buy new, 2018 to 2019 seems like solid years

I think I will miss the 6 speed auto. Was 2014 the last F150 model year with the 6 speed?
My 2015 has the 6 speed. I *think* mid 2017 was the last year for it.

Reactions: D45

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
What failed and what was the cause
They claim the heads were bad castings for the factory, the turbos were just a misdiagnosis- they got replaced first as they were full of oil. It’s fine now, put another 7k miles on it without issue, but I don’t want to keep it for 300k miles.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
2017 had the 6R80 still, except for the 3.5L TT EcoBoost, which got the 10R80 for 2017. The 3.5NA, 2.7EB, and 5.0NA all had the 6R80 still.
My 6 speed when you hammer down to pass someone on the freeway- it does an odd can’t make up its mind gear jump deal like the bottom is gonna fall out of it… other than that it’s great.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Any complex thing being built right now has issues. During the embargo years you didn’t buy stuff made with oil given they were complete junk. That stands today if there are any fiberglass boats still around from those days.

Today you don’t buy vehicles, RVs, Boats etc built with lots of sourced parts and/or low skill labor which is currently below low skilled given the skilled all have quit or moved on. So your getting both crap components and garbage assembly. COVID built stuff will be “avoid” for those who know how to shop stuff.

jbaucom

Doesn't sound like anyone has built a problem free truck in last half dozen years.
Depressing.
I feel like we reached peak vehicle about 10-15 years ago - before infotainment systems and ever increasing safety nanny systems took over as the major innovations and selling features of new vehicles. Mechanically, reliability was good in the early 2000's, and largely still is. The major issues these days seem to center around electrical gremlins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles