F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
When I was truck shopping in 2019 I had a real hard time finding an F-150 that had both the 2.7 AND the 36 gallon gas tank. Since the 36 gallon tank was an absolute requirement, that was a deal breaker for me.

I had a salesman try to tell me I didn't "need" the 36 gallon tank because the truck with the 2.7 got such great MPG! :rolleyes:

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the 3.5. The 2.7 might have squeaked out another MPG or two but in the end, the four main things I wanted (tow package with built-in trailer brake, 36 gallon tank, E-locker and heated seats) I could only find with the 3.5 XLT.

stevo_pct

When I was truck shopping in 2019 I had a real hard time finding an F-150 that had both the 2.7 AND the 36 gallon gas tank. Since the 36 gallon tank was an absolute requirement, that was a deal breaker for me.

I had a salesman try to tell me I didn't "need" the 36 gallon tank because the truck with the 2.7 got such great MPG! :rolleyes:

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the 3.5. The 2.7 might have squeaked out another MPG or two but in the end, the four main things I wanted (tow package with built-in trailer brake, 36 gallon tank, E-locker and heated seats) I could only find with the 3.5 XLT.

I was in the same boat. I wanted the 36 gallon tank, max tow package, heated seats, etc. I was only seeing 5.0L and 3.5L with those options. I ultimately went with the 5.0.

D45

Explorer
Are the turbos on both the 2.7L and the 3.5L oil lubricated and cooled with the engine coolant?

D45

Explorer
I test drove a used truck with the 5.0L and 10 speed.......it was nice, but the truck felt "odd" and maybe under geared?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I googled ecoboost coolant turbos and now I want an ecoboost less. First thread is $900 to get the leaky turbos fixed on a three year old truck.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I googled ecoboost coolant turbos and now I want an ecoboost less. First thread is $900 to get the leaky turbos fixed on a three year old truck.
Warranty for 6 yrs 130,000 was $2100. Modern complex vehicles warranty is cheap. Just a blown head unit power module is a $600 part. If you find a stripped down oldschool V8 8spd then no warranty might be fine. But start adding all the other stuff warranty is cheap insurance. Says the guy with a loaded Platinum heavy tow pack Expedition ?

EMrider

Explorer

Yep, I had to special order my F150 with the 2.7l and the 36gal tank. The 2.7l motor is fantastic and I’m very pleased with the power and the mileage.
R

stevo_pct

I test drove a used truck with the 5.0L and 10 speed.......it was nice, but the truck felt "odd" and maybe under geared?

It probably had the 3.31 gear set. IMO, the 5.0L needs to be paired with the 3.73 gear set - which is an upgrade you get with the rear locker and increased GVWR option.

rruff

Explorer
It probably had the 3.31 gear set. IMO, the 5.0L needs to be paired with the 3.73 gear set - which is an upgrade you get with the rear locker and increased GVWR option.
With the 10spd and 3.31 gear set it still has low gearing though... think it must be software, which should be an easy fix (throttle control or a tune).

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My 2.7 has had heads and turbos replaced at 52k, and I take very good care of the truck. Tons of power, 17mpg with 34” BFG all terrains. Pulls my 4K boat really well. I will be selling this truck soon, moving to an older tundra or lc100.

jbaucom

With the 10spd and 3.31 gear set it still has low gearing though... think it must be software, which should be an easy fix (throttle control or a tune).
My 5.0 has the 10 speed with 3.31 axle. Sometimes throttle response is a bit slow, but it seems to be the throttle mapping because Sport mode definitely wakes it up. The 10 speed has a handful of drive modes, and they make noticeable differences in throttle response and performance. Rain/snow definitely reduces wheelspin on wet pavement, Eco mode is a bit sluggish off the line, but sometimes I use it on the interstate because I do routinely pick up a few tenths of a mile per gallon in eco mode there. Sport improves throttle response and holds gears longer; it also remains in lower gears cruising on the highway, so I tend to use it in short spurts, like when I need to pass someone, then return to normal mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles