F150 - 2.7L vs 3.5L vs 5.0L

jbaucom

I tried to find an XL 3.5 truck but they don’t seem to exist.
My local dealer has a lot full of them, but they're all Police Responders. FWIW, it's a really nice package. Discovering that nixed any thoughts I had about trading up to a 21 when mine was in the shop last year.

ricoisme26

Used, nicely equipped, lower mileage 2.7L trucks are more easily found around me

In addition, the pricing is also substantially cheaper

2.7L - 165 cid
325 HP @ 5,000
400 TQ @ 2,750

3.5L - 213 cid
375 HP @ 5,000
470 TQ @ 2,500

2.7 seems to be the most popular engine choice around me as well. Lots of people want the 3.5 or 5.0 but don't need it, they probably don't need a truck if they are being honest. 2.7 is still plenty of motor to haul and tow though not knocking it. Its performance, at least on paper, is better than my 2012 5.0. I could get a new truck with the 2.7 that's rated to haul and tow the same if not more than mine.

If the fiance is interested in truck instead of an SUV next I think we'll look for a 2.7 for her. Any thing is better than the RAM she had leased ?

Grassland

Most people don't need more than the 3.3 to haul the lawn mower or the family, let's be honest.

If in a couple years quality control becomes a thing again, and XLTs aren't 55k CAD or more, it's between the 3.3 and 2.7 for me with the big old fuel tank.
I was disappointed the F150 hybrid wasn't with the 3.3 like the Explorer is. A touch less complicated and expensive that way

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Most people don't need more than the 3.3 to haul the lawn mower or the family, let's be honest.

If in a couple years quality control becomes a thing again, and XLTs aren't 55k CAD or more, it's between the 3.3 and 2.7 for me with the big old fuel tank.
I was disappointed the F150 hybrid wasn't with the 3.3 like the Explorer is. A touch less complicated and expensive that way
Given the Maverick does decent work for a mini it’s probably plenty of truck for the lawn mower crowd. Will be interesting to see what happens to the ranger. Its kinda a Orphan now. If you need seats for 4 and basic truck needs with mileage you get the Maverick. If you have light duty hauling you get a F150.

Maybe the Ranger turns into a life style play toy off roader like the Bronco? Thats the only place I see it working.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
2.7 seems to be the most popular engine choice around me as well. Lots of people want the 3.5 or 5.0 but don't need it, they probably don't need a truck if they are being honest. 2.7 is still plenty of motor to haul and tow though not knocking it. Its performance, at least on paper, is better than my 2012 5.0. I could get a new truck with the 2.7 that's rated to haul and tow the same if not more than mine.

If the fiance is interested in truck instead of an SUV next I think we'll look for a 2.7 for her. Any thing is better than the RAM she had leased ?
What Ram did she have leased? Why would anything be better than it?

ricoisme26

What Ram did she have leased? Why would anything be better than it?

I was just knocking RAM haha, she had a 2020 built to serve edition, I believe the trim was big horn? It had the 5.7, never sorted out if it was a 3.21 or 3.92 rear end. It wasn't bad I just liked the 2015+ Fords better, I never got as comfortable driving it as the Fords. Wasn't a fan of the 12" vertical infotainment screen either, just too big, didn't like the HVAC controls being in the menus. It rode more like a car than a truck, but it had 20" wheels, would have liked to put 18s on it and seen how much of that ride was the lower profile tires vs the independent rear suspension.

I towed a mini excavator with that truck, about 30 miles each way and that was a white knuckle experience, it definetly wasn't the right truck for the job but was the only one available to me for it. probably close to 10k to 12k trailer weight. Just needed too much tongue weight on the trailer for it to balance out and not bob going down the road. That made the truck squat Almost had to move the excavator again and was talking to a coworker with a 3/4 diesel about moving it for me before her brother (the owner) picked it up using her RAM. He comes back, "This truck is great it handled that no problem, thing is a beast" guess when all you know is super sketchy towing it wasn't that sketchy. I don't judge the RAM on this though, I was asking it to go above and beyond its capabilities.

I did tow her other brothers bass boat 14 hours to Missouri to trade in on his new one. Again just never got as comfortable as I do in the Fords, and it got about 11.5 mpg on that trip, expected better honestly was really surprised it was so low. We took it on vacation once to NC and that trip too it did about 16 mpg round trip. Took my 2012 F150 with the 5.0 to Maine this past summer and even it managed 17-17.5 on that round trip.

She sold the truck to an auctioner when prices went nuts March 2021, we figured of the 12k miles on the truck I had driven it 7k-8k of them as anytime we'd take it somewhere together I was driving, she just took it to work and on errand runs around town.

D45

Explorer
I found a 2018 F150 with the Lariat package, 2.7L

22k miles , with 3.73s and locking rear diff

It's a nice truck, but it's $45k and from Canada

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I found a 2018 F150 with the Lariat package, 2.7L

22k miles , with 3.73s and locking rear diff

It's a nice truck, but it's $45k and from Canada

$45K Canadian wouldn't be a bad price (in today's market at least) ;)

canadian.jpg

FWIW my F-150 is Canadian. Not only Canadian, but a rental vehicle too.

2 1/2 years and 33,000 miles later, it's running strong with no issues. And that's with a lot of towing through the Rockies.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
As I recall from my search a few years back, finding a 2.7 with the 36 gallon tank was tough. That's one of the reasons I went with the 3.5, much easier to find with the big tank.

Reactions: D45

Grassland

I recommend taking advantage of our weak dollar if possible.
And most Canadian trucks I've found have the larger fuel tank.

D45

Explorer
Lariat Sport Appearance Package, Heated and Cooled Seats, Navigation System, Tow Package, 4X4,110V/400W Outlet, 2-Bar Body-Color Grille w/4 Minor Bars, ABS brakes, Accent-Color Angular Step Bars, Adjustable pedals, AppLink/Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Automatic temperature control, BLIS Blind Spot Information System, Body-Color Front & Rear Bumpers, Box Side Decals, Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver, Electronic Locking w/3.73 Axle Ratio, Electronic Stability Control, Equipment Group 501A Mid, Exterior parking camera rear: With Dynamic Hitch Assist, Front dual zone A/C, Front fog lights, Heated door mirrors, Heated front seats, Higher-Capacity Radiator, Higher-Power Cooling Fans, Illuminated entry, Lariat Sport Appearance Package, Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats, LED Sideview Mirror Spotlights, Low tire pressure warning, Memory seat, Navigation System, Pedal memory, Power Glass Sideview Mirr w/Body-Color Skull Caps, Power passenger seat, Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Radio: B&O Play Premium Audio System, Rear window defroster, Remote keyless entry, Remote Start System w/Remote Tailgate Release, Reverse Sensing System, Single-Tip Chrome Exhaust, Steering wheel mounted audio controls, Tailgate Step w/Tailgate Lift Assist, Telescoping steering wheel, Tilt steering wheel, Traction control, Trailer Tow Package, Universal Garage Door Opener, Upgraded Front Stabilizer Bar, Ventilated front seats, Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System, Wheels: 18 6-Spoke Machined-Aluminum.

Lightning Blue 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat SPORT 4WD 4D SuperCrew 2.7L V6 EcoBoost 10-Speed Automatic 19/24 City/Highway MPG

I would imagine with the 3.73, tow Package, HD cooling........it should also have the larger 36 gallon tank????

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Lariat Sport Appearance Package, Heated and Cooled Seats, Navigation System, Tow Package, 4X4,110V/400W Outlet, 2-Bar Body-Color Grille w/4 Minor Bars, ABS brakes, Accent-Color Angular Step Bars, Adjustable pedals, AppLink/Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Automatic temperature control, BLIS Blind Spot Information System, Body-Color Front & Rear Bumpers, Box Side Decals, Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver, Electronic Locking w/3.73 Axle Ratio, Electronic Stability Control, Equipment Group 501A Mid, Exterior parking camera rear: With Dynamic Hitch Assist, Front dual zone A/C, Front fog lights, Heated door mirrors, Heated front seats, Higher-Capacity Radiator, Higher-Power Cooling Fans, Illuminated entry, Lariat Sport Appearance Package, Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats, LED Sideview Mirror Spotlights, Low tire pressure warning, Memory seat, Navigation System, Pedal memory, Power Glass Sideview Mirr w/Body-Color Skull Caps, Power passenger seat, Pro Trailer Backup Assist, Radio: B&O Play Premium Audio System, Rear window defroster, Remote keyless entry, Remote Start System w/Remote Tailgate Release, Reverse Sensing System, Single-Tip Chrome Exhaust, Steering wheel mounted audio controls, Tailgate Step w/Tailgate Lift Assist, Telescoping steering wheel, Tilt steering wheel, Traction control, Trailer Tow Package, Universal Garage Door Opener, Upgraded Front Stabilizer Bar, Ventilated front seats, Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System, Wheels: 18 6-Spoke Machined-Aluminum.

Lightning Blue 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat SPORT 4WD 4D SuperCrew 2.7L V6 EcoBoost 10-Speed Automatic 19/24 City/Highway MPG

I would imagine with the 3.73, tow Package, HD cooling........it should also have the larger 36 gallon tank????
What is the VIN#?

D45

Explorer
Equipment Group 501A Mid
$1,585
Reverse Sensing System, Universal Garage Door Opener, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), cross-traffic alert and trailer tow monitoring (BLIS sensor in LED taillamp), 110V/400W Outlet, Power Glass Sideview Mirr w/Body-Color Skull Caps, power-folding, heat, turn signal, memory and auto-dimming feature (driver's side), Remote Start System w/Remote Tailgate Release, LED Sideview Mirror Spotlights, high-intensity LED security approach lamps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior