F 450 flatbed camper build

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Last night I was finally able to test the Onan micro quiet generator in the truck. The first cap that I had on the tank would not vent. Pressure built up in the tank before I even had a chance to run the generator the first time. Everything work good. I have a 110 outlet in the box with the generator along with the 110vt 30 amp RV outlet. On the passenger side is another 110vt 20 amp outlet. In the box above the generator I have to 2HP twin tank compressor, battery charge with 100 amp start capability. I will have a 50 foot electrical cord on a retractable spool and compressor hoses. I will use this box for tool storage. The plan is to use the driver side for items that do not need to be gotten to every day. And allow the passenger side, the door side of the camper for storage of camping gear. Chairs, tables, grill. The two boxes closest to the door are for the most important things. The first box to the side of the door is for shoes and boots. While standing on the steps or sitting in the doorway you can take off you shoes and put them in the box or set them on the fold down door. The next box will be for dirty clothes.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I have tested out the truck. I put a pallet of 80# concrete in the bed 3200# plus my large trailer loaded with the tractor and all of the implements 18000#. The springs did not contact the overloads while resting. There was still 1inch difference between the front of the bed and the back of the bed 11foot away. I was trying to decide if I should go ahead and have more springs put under the truck as I did with the Ford 450. The added spring pack raised the GVW to 16900 per the installer. This Dodge truck is only rated for 16000. And I know that on a scale the truck fully loaded will weigh in at 16500#. I do have a nicer unloaded ride with the truck as is. The extra spring pack does add a jolt to an unloaded ride. OH yes. 5 years ago the spring pack installed was $800. Today he wants $1500. Because "I am a good repeat customer".

I also own a 5500 but as a work truck, it weighs in at 14,200 now with some added tools...that weight is before any material is loaded. I have been looking into air bags not to add to the load capacity, but assist the overload springs. Have you looked into air bags yet?

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I have thought about air bags, but I think that is just more to go bad. At this time I think the truck springs and overloads should work exactly as engineered to work. I might need something else down the road. I want to put a few thousand miles on the rig before I do anything to it.

BlueCoyote

Observer
Used to have a Dodge 3500 chassis cab (a derated 4500) - when pulling the toy hauler, there was about a 1/2" gap between the overload and the stop, so on bumps it had the overload slap. My plan was to install the Stable loads on the upper stop to add a little rear lift and help the loaded ride. Empty they would have no effect.
BUBB has a similar issue - and needs some rear lift. Considered bags, but am going to build our own Stable load instead, and maybe add another overload leaf. My concern with the bags are of one fails in a remote area , or the compressor quits, then what?
As for additional leafs - my go to company has always been Deaver spring in Anaheim CA.

Your advise please?

Sorry.. I cannot get the photos to upload, so I provided download links:

My wife and I are about to begin exploring ourselves. We are from the USA but have been living in Cabo, Mexico for the last 9 years. But something is calling us.

Anyway, we are building our first rig; starting with a 2009 F450 4X4 Crew Cab with a Flatbed and a Lance 1191 Camper.

I am having a small issue with the size of our bed and its relation to our camper. Our truck has an 84" cab to rear axle measurement, so the flatbed needs to be 136" in length. So this leaves me with one of the following 2 options:

Option 1 (puts me 13.3 feet in the air) is this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1757161/option-1.png

Option 2 (puts me at only 12.13 feet in the air) is this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1757161/option-2.png

In your opinion, which configuration would be the best solution please?

I look forward to any and all replies.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Bob the rear of the frame and stay lower AND shorter
I agree with CodyY. If you don't need the space between the camper and cab for storage or a bike garage, I'd would shorten the flatbed and keep it lower and shorter

CodyY

Explorer
And if you have to ditch the leaf springs to do it, all the better. Triangulated 4-link on airbags.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I put the camper on the truck today. We are planning a trip to Missouri. I wanted to sanitize the water tanks with bleach. Guess what??? Bleach stains aluminum. Not to bad. Three stain lines down the side of one box. It could have been real ugly. Learn by my mistake. Keep bleach away from your aluminum.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
The bleach turned the aluminum a dull gray. Looks like flat gray primer. I am afraid to try anything else to remove the stains. Anything else might do the same or worse. Soap and water did not remove it. I might try an SOS pad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles