F 450 flatbed camper build

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
There seems to be a lot of interest in Trucks with flatbeds and campers. So far everything on my build seems to be working great. We have had some really cold weather for Louisiana. It appears that the electric heat wrap is keeping the basement warm enough to not freeze my tanks. I did not know how it would work. I have read a lot about people trying to winterize there campers. What I did was buy the longest electric heat wrap for pipe. I then took a long piece of metal and slide the wrap all across the width of the basement. Then wrapped the extra around the valves. This seems almost to easy for everyone to not be doing it. With that in place, I can now use a 110 v heater inside the camper and not have to worry about the hot air being blown into the basement.

1911/F-350

Observer
Eddie,
I am very impressed with your build, I would love to see pics of the Dodge!

I keep this thread open on my browser to show my friends what I want to do next.

You have opened my eyes to a different option. Until I came across your thread I never thought about a slide-in camper.

Thank you.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
1911/350: The Dodge is a 4500. 4;10 axles. Limited slip. Diesel, 4 x 4 Crew cab. Cab and Chassis. 200 inch WB. On the Ford I had 3 inch lift in the front with a donut. Plus 3 inch lift in the rear consisting of re-ached leafs and one extra leaf. Supposed to be 20K payload similar to the 550. On this Dodge I did not mess with the suspension at all. And so far I can not tell any negative differences. Just a better ride when unloaded. On this new setup I was able to figure out a way of anchoring the camper without having to cut holes in the boxes. Plus I was able to use 24 inch deep boxes instead of 18 inch boxes. That extra 6 inches is amazing. I also permanently mounted an Onan 4400watt generator in the Driverside front boxes. One 110vt outlet on each side of the truck as well as 30 amp for the camper or my welder. I built wide running board for the Dodge. It protects the sides a lot better then the factory steps.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Plain old truck. No DOT. Not all insurances will cover it. You might want to check with your insurance company or plan on changing. If I had to do again. I would go with 350 and rearch the springs. That would allow me to use tires that I can deflate on sand and snow. Not have to deal with 20 inch tires$$$$$$$$$$$$$ My work Dodge 350 handled the camper fine. The choice of tires is a big thing these days. There is not really a need for the 4500-5500 for what most people do with there RV style setup. Now for me. I do have the capacity to have my camper on the truck and tow my 16K pintle hook trailer with all of my earth moving equipment. But this is not the normal way most people would use their truck and camper setup. And I might do that once a year. If you do not all ready have a need for 20K GVW don't go looking for it. I will say that 40 years of construction use of a DRW I have never had a rock between my tires. But At least once a year I have to drive the truck on three rear tires. That is priceless. And with the 350 trucks you can air down the tires when needed. You can not with the 4500-5500 19.5 tires. I hope this helps.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I am planning a trip to the sandy beaches of Padre Island National seashore. With 19.5 duals. What would be a safe pressure to run the tires. I have tried a search. :airing down 19.5. But nothing related comes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles