F-350 Configuration for Truck Camper Build (NorthStar 850SC)

tacollie

Glamper
A good suspension replacement will be better off road AND on road. @BretEdge and @montypower can both attest to that fact. They both have highly modified rigs, as do I. I’d never stick with the stock Ford suspension.
Especially with the clamshell doors on the super cabs. Those things rattle like a bucket of bolts on hard washboard with the factory springs.

Ninelitetrip

Figured I'd circle back around and close the loop on this thread, truck and camper are both finally here (I went with the dual battery and alternator)...

2022 Ford F-350 Lariat 7.3L V8 4x4 SuperCab w/ 8' Bed & 4.30 Gears (4598 lbs payload)
2022 Northstar 850SC

Optional Equipment List from my window sticker:
  • PREFERRED EQUIPMENT PKG.618A
  • 7.3L DEVCT NA PFI V8 ENGINE
  • 10-SPEED AUTOMATIC
  • LT275/70R18E BSW ALL TERRAIN
  • 4.30 ELECTRONIC-LOCKING AXLE
  • FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET
  • ALL WEATHER MATS W/O CARPT MAT
  • FLOOR MAT IN LIEU OF CARPET
  • LARIAT SPORT APPEARANCE PKG
  • .PLATFORM RUNNING BOARDS
  • FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE
  • .SKID PLATES
  • 11800# GVWR PACKAGE
  • 50 STATE EMISSIONS
  • SNOWPLOW PREP/CAMPER PACKAGE
  • UTT CAMERA PRO TRLR BACKUP AST
  • ROOF CLEARANCE LIGHTS
  • ADAPTIVE STEERING
  • RAIN-SENSING WINDSHIELD WIPERS JACK
  • WHEEL WELL LINERS FRONT & REAR
  • CSTMR TRL CAM *CSTMR INST ACCY
  • UPFITTER SWITCHES
  • 397 AMP ALTERNATOR
  • DUAL BATTERY
  • HOOD DEFLECTOR
  • LARIAT VALUE PACKAGE
  • .LED BOX LIGHTING
  • .REMOTE START SYSTEM
  • .DRIVER SIDE MEMORY SEAT
  • .HEATED/VENTED FRONT SEATS

How long from ordering did delivery take for the truck? Did the dealer stick to the agreed price?

eyemgh

Especially with the clamshell doors on the super cabs. Those things rattle like a bucket of bolts on hard washboard with the factory springs.

As you know, the secret to a leaf pack like a Deaver or an Alcan is that they’re progressive. The stock F350 has 4 leaves. My Deaver has 13!

There are plenty of trucks out there with suspension “upgrades” that drive terribly. My guess is that the majority of them do. If you find a shop that understands the impacts on driveline, and the front end, and can adjust pinion, caster, etc. it’ll drive like a dream.

tacollie

Glamper
As you know, the secret to a leaf pack like a Deaver or an Alcan is that they’re progressive. The stock F350 has 4 leaves. My Deaver has 13!

There are plenty of trucks out there with suspension “upgrades” that drive terribly. My guess is that the majority of them do. If you find a shop that understands the impacts on driveline, and the front end, and can adjust pinion, caster, etc. it’ll drive like a dream.
100%. You have to use good products and set everything up correctly.

My brother had a 19' F350 setup is a weld rig. Is running a spacer level and airbags in the rear at 90 psi. His truck is unruly at best. My truck drives like a dream but it should since I spent a lot more than him ?

BretEdge

Adventurer
A good suspension replacement will be better off road AND on road. @BretEdge and @montypower can both attest to that fact. They both have highly modified rigs, as do I. I’d never stick with the stock Ford suspension.

100% agree. I've got a Carli Pintop on mine and the difference in ride quality on and off-road was mind blowing. The truck handles so much better on road at highway speeds that there's literally no comparison. Highway and bridge joints, and potholes or other surface defects, used to toss the truck around and it was not only uncomfortable but felt unsafe. The Carli soaks it up and the truck plows through with grace and never feels out of control. Highly recommended.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
seconding this question. When you add the factory winch it forces dual alts / batteries. I definitely intend to add an aftermarket winch and lights. Also figured it could help charge camper batteries.
I have a Northstar TC800. It's 23 yrs old and had it's battery charged fine with a single alternator on both my 98.5 Ram Cummins and my present '07 Ram Cummins. Two alternators is definitely overkill. Probably dual batteries on a gasser too. I'd mount the camper in the bed. They sit lower than with most flatbeds. Unfortunately with the Alumaduty's you'll be forced to go with the Torklift tie down system. Plenty stout but ground clearance especially in the back will be compromised.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
100% agree. I've got a Carli Pintop on mine and the difference in ride quality on and off-road was mind blowing. The truck handles so much better on road at highway speeds that there's literally no comparison. Highway and bridge joints, and potholes or other surface defects, used to toss the truck around and it was not only uncomfortable but felt unsafe. The Carli soaks it up and the truck plows through with grace and never feels out of control. Highly recommended.
Do you have a 3000# camper on it? Carli doesn't recommend either of his full leaf replacements with a camper aside from an FWC or one of the hybrids out there.

BretEdge

Adventurer
Do you have a 3000# camper on it? Carli doesn't recommend either of his full leaf replacements with a camper aside from an FWC or one of the hybrids out there.

I didn't use Carli springs. I had Alcan Springs in Grand Junction build a custom set of leaf springs designed specifically for my rig. I've got a flatbed Norweld tray w/ a FWC Hawk UTE on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier