F-150 to carry a hardside camper

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Its not overloaded!

Have you scaled it? My F350 didn't look or feel overweight with my camper on, but the scales don't lie. I was 2000 lbs over when the camper was dry and empty.

If you are legal when the trailer is connected I'd be surprised. Impressed, but surprised!

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Even with the up tick in payload you get with modern 1/2 tons, it's still a half-ton.
Almost all of us go thru a 'paradigm shift' when it comes to what a truck will carry, camper-wise. We just hope, hope that the door sticker is wrong and we can carry that load because we have that bullet proof Ford 9" rr diff!
I have spent a lifetime upgrading a dozen 4X4's of all descriptions because they had:
1. Too little H.P. to carry or pull what I had in mind
2. Stock drive train worked fine with no load and no stress.
I upgraded engines, transmissions, transfer cases, drive shafts, diff. gears, axle shafts, RG&P's, lockers, bearings, brakes, power steering boxes, leaf and coil springs, shocks, cooling systems, fuel injections systems, gusseted frames, welded people back together on the trail with my on-board welder.

The current dictum for a hard-side/truck matchup is to get way more truck than you think you will need for a given TC.
Over on RV.net, truck camper section, there is a litany of folks who kept ignoring that dictum and wound up getting there by degrees. I call the 'ignoring the paradigm shift', INCREMENTALISM. You spend a lot more time and money upgrading an underpowered, under-carrying TC than you would if you just got a one-ton to start with. BTDT.
regards, as always, jefe

BCHauler

Adventurer
This is my setup.
274.jpg
My truck has a gvwr of 6000lbs stock, which includes p-rated tires. The identical truck with factory LT tires has a gvwr of 6500lbs.
I'm not saying your truck should haul that camper. Only pointing out that some simple changes can change the capabilities. Hands down the number one limiting factor in gvwr is tire capacity. Suspension upgrades (I have Hellwig load boosters) transmission cooling, and capable braking are other big factors.

CaveRun_KY

Have you scaled it? My F350 didn't look or feel overweight with my camper on, but the scales don't lie. I was 2000 lbs over when the camper was dry and empty.

If you are legal when the trailer is connected I'd be surprised. Impressed, but surprised!
What kind of TC do you have ? . . . Do you have any pictures with it on the F-350 ?

I find that hard to believe that you was 2000 lbs. overloaded even when the camper was empty.

A F-350 can do better than that! . . . If you was overloaded, I'd be surprised. . . Impressed, but surprised! :D

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Here are some pics. GVW as stated by FoMoCo on door plate: 9200 lbs. Scaled weight dry with 1/2 fuel on truck, no water or waste water in camper, no gen set, no beer, only clothes for overnight, with wife (130 lbs) and dogs (180 lbs): 11,180 lbs. Dry weight of camper listed with options in build sheet: 2934 lbs.

image_zps912cb106.jpg

image_zps953bd252.jpg

image_zps52fd6f90.jpg

image_zps538b58ec.jpg

I loved the F350, but I was not willing to drive around through dozens of different states so far over legal weight. You can do all kinds of upgrades to your truck (I did Toyos for 15,800 lbs total, Firestone airbags, Bilstein shocks, all new poly bushings in all suspension and sway bars, brakes etc etc), but the one thing you CAN'T change is the number Ford or whoever rates the truck at. My truck handled the weight fine, both on and offroad, but if for any reason you get scaled and/or involved with the law, you are going to be in trouble.

ripperj

Explorer
Didn't see it mentioned but you can order the f150 with 8200 gvw and like 2200 payload,but when I priced it out, it was cheaper to get a Ram 2500 that have more features and capacity. I am looking at a Northstar Arrow that weighs a couple hundred pounds more than what you are looking at,and still plan on getting airbags and a sway bar. I will end up being a couple hundred pounds over gvw even with a 2500. As others have said,buy a bigger truck. I should have just got a 350/3500,but was originally going to get a pop up truck camper.
just my 2 cents
keith

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

ripperj

Explorer
Just took another look at 2014 f150, a 2wd reg cab can have 3100# payload, that's 700 more than my 12 Ram 2500 crew 4x4

98dango

Expedition Leader
What happned to the age old theory of buy the biggest truck your budget can handle. A year ago I was shopping looking at 1/2 tons got a.great deal on a 3/4 ton now I'm looking at 1tons. My life has not changed one bit and my trailer is 7k. Truck moves it but I can not say I haul it.

I have no room to grow what I have is what I have. We all end up taking more than we think. I go threw this a lot at work. I work for a small contract fire department. We just changed a truck shaved 900# off and added a little more storage. Before we where 250# under max with a f450. So I removed 900# reloaded and rescailed I was up to just under 900 so they added 250# of stuff. One month later after the guys have taken it twice. It is now 450# over weight. My fault for giving.them more space.

But this is an example of what happens. It's how we go from having fun in a jeep with a tent to a 40+' motorhome with 3 slides and a washer and dryer.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Did you ever scale that truck empty? Most people are VERY surprised just how heavy the Fords are.

Quad cab, long bed, 4x4, with life and big tires.... You were probably sitting at nearly 8k lbs empty, giving you just 1200 lbs of payload.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Did you ever scale that truck empty? Most people are VERY surprised just how heavy the Fords are.

Quad cab, long bed, 4x4, with life and big tires.... You were probably sitting at nearly 8k lbs empty, giving you just 1200 lbs of payload.

I scaled it empty dozens of times. Mostly at the local steel yards and landfill. Not DOT scales, but good enough for me. 7850 lbs was the average with me and a half frank of fuel. 9200 GVW only gives 1350 lbs for cargo. It's a half ton! That is exactly why I now have a dually with 11,000 GVW.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks like I was dead on on my estimate. And no surprise there. Crew cabs, regardless of MFG are HEAVY.

Being a dually has little to nothing to nothing to do with it. As it is, your payload with the dually is probably LOWER than the payload of a similarly equipped SRW truck. Simple due to the added weight of the rear wheels/tires, and hubs.

Still, what does your new truck weigh? Actual payload for it?

Ben7982

Observer
Hello everybody

I´m Ben from Munich / Germany and I want to buy a truck and camper in the US where my family and I will spend our childcare leave time next year.
The plan is to get a 1999-2003 F-150 SuperCab with the extra payload package (GVWR 7700lbs, V8, 4R100, 4wd, 138.8" WB, Styleside) and a Lance Lite 825 or 815 camper.
Unfortunately, I´m limited to 7700lbs because of my German driving license. So I have to stick to the ½ ton trucks.
Since we´ll spend at least 2 month camping with a baby girl, we realy want the luxury of a hard sided camper. So Pop-Ups are not a option.

To handle the extra weight, the high CoG and increase the off-road capability I´d like to get some modifications done. The idea is to build up a reliable and decent traveler.

As you can imagine, I´ve a lot of questions to the insiders, as the F150 is not common in Germany.

What modifications can you recommend to improve the reliability, handling and off-road performance of the truck?
I have the following mods in mind:

- air ride
- 285/75R16 BFG AT-tires
- Track extension 1” – 2”
- Off-road HD shocks
- maybe a 2" lift to get more clearence
- maybe some skid plates for the rear diff and engine/gearbox

The 7700 truck has already stronger springs, bigger brakes and a bigger axle carrier.
Here are some more informations about the truck.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2001/f150cd.pdf

Does this truck has any weak points I should take care about in advance?

Which shocks (brand, model) work best in combination with the camper on gravel roads?

What tie downs are available for the truck? I don´t like the Torklift style because it reduces the ground clearance so much.

How have you fixed the camper on the truck? I would prefere a direct fix to the bed and wouldn´t minde to drill some holes in it.

Can you recommend a workshop to get all this done in San Francisco CA?

What is beneath the rear seat bench? Is there a cargo area? Size?

Any pics of your F150 - Camper set up would be very helpfull

Thanks for the first time

Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles