F-150 suspension upgrade ideas?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
NOTE: It's in my signature but I'll also list it here: Truck is a 2018 F-150, CCSB 4x4, 3.5 EB, 10 speed, 3.31 gears with the 7000 GVWR package and the tow package. Currently at about 48k miles. Location is in Colorado.

This is a spin-off from my thread regarding the front-mounted motorcycle carrier:

My thought is that if I'm going to carry an extra ~325lbs on the front of the F-150, I probably need to consider upgrading the suspension.

I'm also not happy with the way the truck sags when hooked up to the trailer and full of gear. Even with an E2 WDH to truck sits lower than I would like.

So I'm wondering what are some reasonably mild suspension upgrades I could make?

Not looking to get much (if any) lift. Mostly want heavier carrying capacity in the back (while hopefully not giving it a punishing ride while unloaded, and yes I know those are mutually exclusive goals so I'm shooting for a "happy medium" somewhere in the middle.)

I had Bilstiens on my Suburban and they seemed to work well. Add-a-leaf in the rear maybe with new shocks in the front?

Again, not LOOKING for lift, but if I can get an inch or two of lift, I'd be OK with that.

FWIW the truck came with the FX4 package, which I think included some kind of upgraded shocks but I don't know how they differ from non-FX4 shocks.

Thanks in advance!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
My thought is that if I'm going to carry an extra ~325lbs on the front of the F-150, I probably need to consider upgrading the suspension.

I'm also not happy with the way the truck sags when hooked up to the trailer and full of gear. Even with an E2 WDH to truck sits lower than I would like.

Airbags front and rear. Totally adjustable. And fairly cheap.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beat me to it.

Or...
98427fb9_8cf2_405f_941e_b484a19f6c92_2c38b60ba38838b64eed62bcc37181e2d1ac9239.jpg

ITTOG

I have heard others push the timbrens but no personal experience. Sounds like we have the same truck. I want to change my rear suspension to a four link, just for fun.

But realistically, the best I have seen is the helper springs. I don't recall the name but it connects on top of your existing leafs on the trailing half. It has a coil spring attached horizontally. So more support as more weight added. I am sure with that description someone will know the name. I think this is better than bags given no air leak issues.

Grassland

If you are frequently going to have the weight up front I'd go with a heavier front coil spring with larger capacity dampers. A lot of the aftermarket ones are 0-2.5" lift so you could set it at 1" or so.
For the rear have a spring shop make you/order you a multi leaf spring pack with a weight rating of plus 100 or 200lbs or whatever you think you need. You use your factory spring code to get basic weight rating. Then increase dampening. A higher capacity and metal body shock to dissipate heat better.

jbaucom

I have heard others push the timbrens but no personal experience. Sounds like we have the same truck. I want to change my rear suspension to a four link, just for fun.

But realistically, the best I have seen is the helper springs. I don't recall the name but it connects on top of your existing leafs on the trailing half. It has a coil spring attached horizontally. So more support as more weight added. I am sure with that description someone will know the name. I think this is better than bags given no air leak issues.

I think you're talking about the Roadmaster Active Suspension - no experience with it, but it seems to get great reviews for its impact on ride, handling, and load carrying.

ITTOG

I think you're talking about the Roadmaster Active Suspension - no experience with it, but it seems to get great reviews for its impact on ride, handling, and load carrying.
That is it, thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We have Radflo 2.5s all around on our truck and it sagged both before and after the suspension upgrade. We have a ARE topper, decked drawer system, fridge in back, and a rack on top of the topper. We have a full size KO2 spare under the truck as well. We decided to get an Auto Spring add a leaf from stage3motorsports. I believe it adds an additional 600# to your capacity which was perfect for us. We still have a little rack to the back by about an inch but nothing super noticeable like those Carolina boys.

Radflo, if you chose to go that route, can custom your front springs for your weight. Plus they will valve all the shocks to suit your use.

I would go with a AAL now and if/when your rear leafs go out or get worn then I'd go for a custom pack. I only say that because they are expensive ($1k+ vs ~$200 for AAL). I would also look at getting new front springs as well for that moto carrier.

We didn't go with bags because we have constant static weight in the back and rarely tow. If you'll be towing, I'd suggest that like the others, possibly in conjunction with AAL.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

jbaucom

FWIW, the snow plow package is only available on with the 5.0, and the allowable plow weight is 470 lbs. Carrying a bike on the front shouldn't block as much airflow as a plow would, but whether or not it would block enough to make a difference is a question that could probably only be answered after gaining experience with it where you travel.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
We have Radflo 2.5s all around on our truck and it sagged both before and after the suspension upgrade. We have a ARE topper, decked drawer system, fridge in back, and a rack on top of the topper. We have a full size KO2 spare under the truck as well. We decided to get an Auto Spring add a leaf from stage3motorsports. I believe it adds an additional 600# to your capacity which was perfect for us. We still have a little rack to the back by about an inch but nothing super noticeable like those Carolina boys.

Radflo, if you chose to go that route, can custom your front springs for your weight. Plus they will valve all the shocks to suit your use.

I would go with a AAL now and if/when your rear leafs go out or get worn then I'd go for a custom pack. I only say that because they are expensive ($1k+ vs ~$200 for AAL). I would also look at getting new front springs as well for that moto carrier.

We didn't go with bags because we have constant static weight in the back and rarely tow. If you'll be towing, I'd suggest that like the others, possibly in conjunction with AAL.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
This- I’d avoid the airbags

CountryboyNC

I had the RAS on my 2013. I loved it. The ride wasn’t horrible and it took a lot of sag out of the rear end when pulling my travel trailer. The rear end also felt much more planted while driving the truck and didn’t hop around as much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles