F-150 Diesel

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My '99 3.4 is noticeably effected by lower octane, even though it is somewhat modern. Get quite a bit of detonation out of it....maybe I am not patient enough to let the computer learn the lower grade fuel.
The 5VZ is old, your 5VZ is old. It's worn out and lacks stuff like variable valve timing designed to deal with oxygenated gas. It's amazing how much better your engine would run if your EGR valve suddenly failed, perhaps due to a vacuum hose coming lose and being plugged by a golf tee...

Clutch

<---Pass
The 5VZ is old, your 5VZ is old. It's worn out and lacks stuff like variable valve timing designed to deal with oxygenated gas. It's amazing how much better your engine would run if your EGR valve suddenly failed, perhaps due to a vacuum hose coming lose and being plugged by a golf tee...

Mine didn't come with an EGR. Vacuum lines were blocked off from the factory. (Did some reading up on it, apparently some years came with them, others not.)

It is still running great, just doesn't like low octane fuel for some reason.

32290691_10156419813299630_4845075258551566336_n.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
@Clutch - Indeed, the 5VZ doesn't have EGR. Also looks like those ports aren't used, even the FSM shows them as blocked. I still stand by that being such an ancient engine it was never expected to see gas with ethanol in it so the ECU map just doesn't know how to deal with it.

5vztb.png

Clutch

<---Pass
@Clutch - Indeed, the 5VZ doesn't have EGR. Also looks like those ports aren't used, even the FSM shows them as blocked. I still stand by that being such an ancient engine it was never expected to see gas with ethanol in it so the ECU map just doesn't know how to deal with it.

View attachment 448476

Thanks for the info.

Great engine, has been anvil reliable. Well except having to have the timing belt done every 90K. Can't have it all I guess... :D

Other than timing belts, it has had, one valve cover gasket, an o-ring on one of the injectors (did them all since we had it apart), cam seal, and oil cooler seals. Not bad given its' age and mileage. Emission wise it has gone through 3 cats including the original, while they weren't bad did the O2 sensors once for good measure.

Dalko43

Explorer
There's not really much they can do to force anything legally. The threats about reefer madness didn't stop the state from telling the DEA and FDA to shove it over marijuana and that was far more overt than some pencil pushers withholding Interstate money. They said anyone selling or possessing pot would be subject to Federal prosecution regardless of state law and that never happened. OTOH the state is raking tax money hand over fist (and since shops couldn't use Federally-backed banks, they were literally walking into the capitol with duffel bags of cash to pay their taxes) and that is far more powerful to politicians than any thinly veiled threats from the Justice Dept. The emperor really has no clothes and his nekkedness is becoming more clear all the time.

Again, I encourage you to read up on how universal speed limits and drinking age limits were forced onto states back in the 70's and 80's. The states depend heavily upon federal funding for many different programs. The federal government can, and in fact has, leveraged that funding to force the states' hands on certain issues (here is an article about it: Federal Funding). All those actions were well within the legal authorities of the federal government. And let's be honest here: certain states are allowing violations of federal emissions laws, so any talk of "legal" justification would favor the Fed's over the states on this issue.

I would not expect the Fed's to do anything in regards to marijuana; there has been little political incentive at the federal level to stop the legalization over the last two administrations. Curbing emissions, on the other hand, does seem to have a lot of political backing. I could easily see an ambitious administration threatening to withhold funding in order to force the states to adopt more stringent regulations and enforcement mechanisms. It's not like there isn't a historical precedent for such action by the federal government.

Last edited:

Boatbuilder79

Only available in the Lariat trim. Have to spend an awful lot to save a little (if any) on fuel. Doesn't make any cents. So that would be a no.

Small displacement diesels made sense when they were pre-emissions and were damn near bomb proof. Sadly we never really got any, but the rest of the World did. Like most things today they have become overly complicated and expensive. I am sure they will still sell as long as the truck bubble keeps on growing. Any guess when the economy is going to crash again, I am guessing 2-3 years.

$68,000 for that test truck in the TFL video, that went into limp mode going downhill, Yeah no thanks...

A plea to the truck manufactures. Can we please go back to simple trucks that an owner could fix themselves, that you can beat on, and didn't cost as much as a small house. *sigh* those days are never to return.

New vehicles are easier to work on.

I have a 2015 F150 and it is a lot easier to work on than my 93 ever was. You do have to use a computer but forscan is free and if you have the computer skills to get a wireless printer to work then you can fix your ford.

Clutch

<---Pass
New vehicles are easier to work on.

I have a 2015 F150 and it is a lot easier to work on than my 93 ever was. You do have to use a computer but forscan is free and if you have the computer skills to get a wireless printer to work then you can fix your ford.

No kidding!?

So when the turbo fails, the injector pump goes...and the DEF system is clogged...I simply pull up the Ford APP on my phone and swipe right to fix it!? Dayum, that is fricken ahhhsum! Sign me up!

Boatbuilder79

No kidding!?

So when the turbo fails, the injector pump goes...and the DEF system is clogged...I simply pull up the Ford APP on my phone and swipe right to fix it!? Dayum, that is fricken ahhhsum! Sign me up!

The idea is to catch the problems early when a code is thrown so you can correct it before something worse tears up.

Do you really want to go back to points and carburetors?

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
The idea is to catch the problems early when a code is thrown so you can correct it before something worse tears up.

Do you really want to go back to points and carburetors?

No not really....but everything that has broken in my trucks has been mechanical. All the computer stuff has been fine. Well for the most part...more often than not a sensor goes bad throws a code, and nothing mechanical is wrong. Replace the sensor and *whala*...it is fixed!

Yes, the computers do help...but there is a point where it is getting overly complex. EFI is arguable the best thing that happened to engines...but I can do without a lot of the other stuff now-a-days.

Tossing turbos and complex emission systems on these trucks makes them more mechanically complex. Is what my initial point was. Making them easier to diagnose...certainly doesn't mean they are going be easier to fix. Still have to get in there and do the labor, it isn't going to magically fix itself. They have made it damn near impossible for the owner to fix it themselves...you have to take it in. To you have the means to pull the cab off a F250 to replace the injectors? I sure don't. Guess I could go rent a backhoe...but do you really want to do that? Hell, my old 76 F250 I could sit in the engine bay and do carb work....

Last edited:

Boatbuilder79

In my opinion Having to pull the cab to change injectors is a design flaw on fords part. But overall I have found that the 2005 and later cars and trucks have been the eaisiest to maintain and work on and anything from the 80’s and 90’s to be the worst.

Clutch

<---Pass
In my opinion Having to pull the cab to change injectors is a design flaw on fords part. But overall I have found that the 2005 and later cars and trucks have been the eaisiest to maintain and work on and anything from the 80’s and 90’s to be the worst.

Was it a design flaw or done intentionally, so owners have to bring it in? John Deere doesn't even want their owners to actually own their equipment anymore. They don't want you working on them either.

I believe you. I haven't owned a Ford since the late 80's. Only had Toyotas since then...and they don't start giving you any "real" trouble until the 250K mark that has been my experience. And extremely simple to work on.

Really don't think the new Ford trucks are going to be easy to do any major repairs on as you are alluding. Probably why you should ditch it before the warranty is up. I drive 25,000 miles a year...Ford's power train warranty is only 60K miles. Means I would have to buy a new truck every 2.5 years, so I don't have to worry about getting any major out of warranty repairs done. Not something I am keen on doing.

Replacing the turbos looks like a real pain in the ******** if you're the DYI type. Lotsa BS to remove just to get to them.

2554175f-7d76-4b8c-803b-e797a5ab9155.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I believe you. I haven't owned a Ford since the late 80's. Only had Toyotas since then...and they don't start giving you any "real" trouble until the 250K mark that has been my experience. And extremely simple to work on.

You've clearly had better luck with your Toyotas than I have. '88 4Runner V6/5spd: transmission had to be rebuilt at 90k due to a design flaw in those first year R150's. '97 Lexus LX450 4.5/auto: Headgasket at 103k. '04 4Runner V8/Auto: transfer case refuses to shift into low range (a common issue with these platforms). Never had one over 200k and none of the seven Toyotas I have owned have been trouble free.

Jack

Clutch

<---Pass
You've clearly had better luck with your Toyotas than I have. '88 4Runner V6/5spd: transmission had to be rebuilt at 90k due to a design flaw in those first year R150's. '97 Lexus LX450 4.5/auto: Headgasket at 103k. '04 4Runner V8/Auto: transfer case refuses to shift into low range (a common issue with these platforms). Never had one over 200k and none of the seven Toyotas I have owned have been trouble free.

Jack

All of mine have been great...only had 3 of them over the last 26 years...all of been my personal daily drivers. They last a long time under my thumb. Start nickel and diming you at around 250K.

Since I drive so much...I look at vehicles on what they are going to need out of warranty.

That picture is why I got the v8.

Yeah, if I ever bought a Ford it with either be the NA V6 or V8.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Was it a design flaw or done intentionally, so owners have to bring it in? John Deere doesn't even want their owners to actually own their equipment anymore. They don't want you working on them either.

Really don't think the new Ford trucks are going to be easy to do any major repairs on as you are alluding. Probably why you should ditch it before the warranty is up. I drive 25,000 miles a year...Ford's power train warranty is only 60K miles. Means I would have to buy a new truck every 2.5 years, so I don't have to worry about getting any major out of warranty repairs done. Not something I am keen on doing.

Replacing the turbos looks like a real pain in the ******** if you're the DYI type. Lotsa **************** to remove just to get to them.

2554175f-7d76-4b8c-803b-e797a5ab9155.jpg

Since this is a powerstroke the warranty is 5yr 100k miles, not the typical 60k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior