Extreme use Earthroamer

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Waiting for all the cool videos of an ER doing something a Honda 4WD Pilot cant.

Phil....I’d have to say that the vids you’ve linked me to previously, showing what insane things those incredible Maltec campers can do clearly set the bars for promoting the off-road ability of expensive expedition rigs.

(I’ve lost the links...maybe you could post a few of the Sahara Sand Dunes ones here)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Phil....I’d have to say that the vids you’ve linked me to previously, showing what insane things those incredible Maltec campers can do clearly set the bars for promoting the off-road ability of expensive expedition rigs.

(I’ve lost the links...maybe you could post a few of the Sahara Sand Dunes ones here)

I will save the links for an appropriate thread. But to be fair some of the Maltec truck like many of the costly trucks talked about here also going from Four Season to 4 Season and never see much offroad. The difference here is yes they are very capable. The owner below lives comfortable 250 days+ a year in his truck and rules the dunes. During this trip I did see a Unimog and it did OK until it fell over and the truck below winched it back up.?‍♂️

IMG-20190130-WA0035.jpg

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
but sit down to take a poop, cook a meal in a storm, travel 500 miles of dirt roads with all your stuff, cause you live full time in it, and safely sleep in any weather dam near anywhere.
Still have a beer in the evening and not see a shop for a month while you do it. That is the bottom line for us.
…. ps... ripping the hell out of the environment on the way is not part of the deal either...
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Trikebubble

Adventurer
They’ve got really huge mother’s, like this, up there.
And yeah, you better get out of their way!

(Kinda like those scary, ginormous asbestos mine trucks that you’d encounter coming straight at you, roaring right down the middle of the gravel surfaced Cassiar Highway years ago.)

View attachment 533939

And now, back to the rather tired discussion of whether $300 k campers could/should be driven off-road.....
I met one of those coming around a corner. Exactly like that. It was quite the experiance. I pretty much ate the ditch as he took up the entire road.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I will save the links for an appropriate thread. But to be fair some of the Maltec truck like many of the costly trucks talked about here also going from Four Season to 4 Season and never see much offroad. The difference here is yes they are very capable. The owner below lives comfortable 250 days+ a year in his truck and rules the dunes. During this trip I did see a Unimog and it did OK until it fell over and the truck below winched it back up.?‍♂️

View attachment 534145
Check out the Saurer 6dm action! Same vehicle as ours, minus the cabin on the back. I wouldn't have the nerve for this though. 25 years of rock crawling in built Jeeps for me, but not in an 14 ton vehicle!

shade

Check out the Saurer 6dm action! Same vehicle as ours, minus the cabin on the back. I wouldn't have the nerve for this though. 25 years of rock crawling in built Jeeps for me, but not in an 14 ton vehicle!
That'd be a hell of a way to treat your home.

I wonder how long it'd take to hand dig & fill an anchor pit to winch that beast back on its wheels.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I met one of those coming around a corner. Exactly like that. It was quite the experiance. I pretty much ate the ditch as he took up the entire road.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Is there room for that on those logging roads or was there damage to your vehicle as a result? Curious as I've never explored any logging roads but sounds like it could be fun.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
TnN, I can't speak for the Vancouver drivers, but the Idaho logging road drivers are a bit of a random sampling. Some of them are quite reasonable and others will run you off the road the first chance they get.

As a result, we will occasionally pre-ride a selected road with the e-Bike to make sure its not an active road before committing the big rig to a narrow, winding road which frequently has a 2k foot drop off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles