Extreme use Earthroamer

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
But it's not about camping, its about living for multiple years at a time in a small space that you want to be comfortable and feel safe in. Some people are fine doing moto trips, but most everyone needs more creature comforts when it's not a vacation or a camping trip, it's their life now.
Exactly. When we finish our build we will move off our sailboat (or home for the last 20 years that just took us around the world and will be up for sale) and into the truck (for another trip around). We are not looking to camp, we want a home that can take us places most people will never travel to. For us it is the same thing as the boat, just on land and not the water. Trust me, going out an buying a Winnie would have been way easier, but we know it would not have done what we are planning to do.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Given the absolutely POOR QUALITY OF ANYTHING built today by the mainstream RV industry the single most important item you will get when purchasing an Earthroamer is a QUALITY BUILT UNIT!

Overall the box will not fall apart around you. The truck might however not the box!

Of course one would expect that to be the situation when spending $250K-$500K which is easy to do with a mainstream manufactured RV however there is LITTLE TO NO QUALITY CONTROL in the mainstream RV Industry today.

When buying a new RV from the mainstream RV industry "The "Mo Ya Spend the Bigger POS you just purchased"!!!

This is why "Cottage Industry Builder's" like Earthroamer who build a quality product continue to sell well in spite of the high MSRP.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

I just can't see spending $400,000 on a RV just so I have my satilite dish, big screen, GPS and air conditioning, heating and and wifi to go camping. Then again I still have tent stakes and an air mattress..To each his own I guess.
EarthRoamer trucks are a luxury for sure. On the luxury spectrum, I consider them more practical than most and when you look at the craftsmanship and build quality, at least you can see where your money went.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Sign me up. I win the lottery today, I order something like an Earthroamer tomorrow. Until then, my Wife and I continue with our 10 year plan. We drive the heck out of our Tundra and Four Wheel Camper, trying to go everywhere we can (and some places we shouldn't) If our plan goes according to plan, and we can retire in 10 years, we are selling it all (house included) and buying some form of large off-road worthy expedition type vehicle and that will become our home for the future. I see no reason why you couldn't stuff an Earthroamer (or equivialnt) anywhere you can take a logging truck. And here in BC, logging trucks go to some pretty amazing places. I have no interest in spending hard earned money on a "consumer" rv, even the most expensive ones, that could not withstand a trip up The Dempster, nor a trip back down the South Canol Road.

Zybane

On that note...I own and have owned many exotics cars [McLaren included] and now have gotten into the EarthRoamer "situation" - picking up new LTS next week and having an HD built. I think a lot of people say negative things because ER's are expensive and perhaps they are jealous, can't afford one, and/or haven't done extensive research. EarthRoamers ARE very capable offload but the point isn't to have the same capability of a much smaller vehicle like a Jeep. I am planning to flat tow a modified new Raptor to get further up the trail, for instance [and I can carry dirt bikes, etc. in the bed if I want to go in even tighter areas]. These will get you much further than a Class A and with much more luxury/high fit and finish than other expedition vehicles [and most Class A's - most of which I think are tacky even over $2.5mm!!]. I love that ER's can go anywhere they fit and don't require a camp ground for days or more on end. They look incredible and the quality is better than anything else I could find [and I've researched a LOT]. If there were a better answer, I would own it...my eyes and ears are open!

Pretty silly idea to say that anyone who says Earthroamer may not be the best value just because they cannot afford one. Hell, I highly doubt the employees/people that design and build these things outside of the owner could afford their own product. An LTS F550 chassis modified is ~$100K. An LTS with a few options is ~$600K. That is half a million dollars for a fiberglass 100 sq foot of living space. No matter how you cut it or how high the quality is, that is extremely high. For perspective; a brand new 40 foot sailboat with four times the material and equipment costs about that much.

There is no way a new LTS costs more than $250-300K to build. There is a massive profit margin on these things. As for off-road, due to them being so heavy and not having locking diffs, they can actually get stuck in a wet grassy field. There is actual video of it on Youtube.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Pretty silly idea to say that anyone who says Earthroamer may not be the best value just because they cannot afford one. Hell, I highly doubt the employees/people that design and build these things outside of the owner could afford their own product. An LTS F550 chassis modified is ~$100K. An LTS with a few options is ~$600K. That is half a million dollars for a fiberglass 100 sq foot of living space. No matter how you cut it or how high the quality is, that is extremely high. For perspective; a brand new 40 foot sailboat with four times the material and equipment costs about that much.

There is no way a new LTS costs more than $250-300K to build. There is a massive profit margin on these things. As for off-road, due to them being so heavy and not having locking diffs, they can actually get stuck in a wet grassy field. There is actual video of it on Youtube.

Dunno, sure sounds like sour grapes to me. Like someone saying "no way an 812 Superfast costs more than $100k to build", or "nobody needs a more than 1200 square foot house", etc., etc.

People who have tried to build up these vehicles on their own (with all the right components) quickly find out how expensive the task is and how quite reasonable the price is that they are sold at.

As for the value of an Earthromer it is exactly what one is willing to pay no matter how much it cost to build.

There was a post from a couple of years ago where a couple did the math saying for each night they spent in their ER divided by total cost it was cheaper than ~$40. And an ER is much nicer than a sleazy motel at the same price point.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Earthromers are nice just hard to consider one an off-road vehicle?‍♂️

But isn't that the point? An Earthroamer/cruiser, et al. are not "Off-Road" vehicles, they are overland vehicles. Similar, but not the same thing. Want a off roader, get a Jeep/Toyota/ATV or whatever. Want to go both ways around the world? There are better choices.

Example, the Bells are definitely overlanders, and you will note that after a few years in a tent, they actually converted their Land Rover into a camper. https://www.a2aexpedition.com/#!

I have years of traveling in the bush and have long since reached the point of wanting heat, a dry place to sleep, and indoor plumbing.

A few musings on the subject: https://www.a2aexpedition.com/post/off-roader-vs-overlander

And, perhaps my favorite: http://silkroute.org.uk/equipment/choosevan.htm

If you don't want an Earthroamer, don't buy one. You'll save a lot of money! ;)

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
[QUOTE="Zybane, ...

[/QUOTE]

Built one yourself? Tried to keep a business going? There is a reason why there are so few companies in this sector and why so many, including Earthroamer, have gone bankrupt. They ain't making nearly as much money as they would like on these things. ?

And while I'm being snarky, herewith some reading materials: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=build+yo...you+own+overland,aps,116&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_22 Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
[QUOTE="Zybane, ...

Built one yourself? Tried to keep a business going? There is a reason why there are so few companies in this sector and why so many, including Earthroamer, have gone bankrupt. They ain't making nearly as much money as they would like on these things. ?

And while I'm being snarky, herewith some reading materials: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=build+your+own+overland+camper&crid=TZWJSDUGK7RO&sprefix=build+you+own+overland,aps,116&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_1_22 Enjoy! :D

[/QUOTE]

XPCamper being the latest business unable to make it work financially.

Unfortunate because they were building a quality product.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am not sure why so many people worry about how SOMEONE ELSE spending their money.
I see amazing houses that sell for millions around me....ok fine for them if that is what that person wants.
Crazy watch prices, fine if that makes someone happy.
Nuts cost of some clothes, no worries is makes a job for someone.
Who really cares if SOMEONE else wants to spend their money in a way different than your.
Who really cares if the marketing department pitches things in a way you don't agree with, like side by side ads showing folks tearing up the outdoors.
Who really cares what anyone else does as long as it doesn't hurt you....instead how about more trip reports and less griping threads?

waveslider

Outdoorsman
We paid a lot of money for our truck to take us exactly where we want to go and be able to provide exactly what we need. Seems like a perfect exchange to me. I hope everyone else can do the same for their travel plans and needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles