Extreme use Earthroamer

andytruck

Observer
Hey, I think Earthroamers are gosh jolly groovy, but do they ever go off road?
I search vids, but the only off-roading I see is it drive up to a rock and take some still pics with stuff in the background that we all wish they would go drive on...
Are they just too expensive to go off road or push to their limits?

People have gone on big adventures in their ER/GXV etc, and its less about rockcrawling and more about being able to go down rough roads in remote locations and have the reliability to keep driving the next day.

andytruck

Observer
Haha, yes, this is what I am finding also - lots of dirt roads conquered. I had a honda that could conquer those roads too, but Im not interested to hear about gravel roads and puddles or drove through snow and still alive to talk about it...
I want to see these vehicles pushed.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Good luck. In all my years traveling, wheeling, camping, and backpacking, I've yet to even see one off the blacktop here in the states.

Their size is their biggest limitation IMO. Tall, wide, and long.
And their cost. I don't know that I would be too keen to offroad one after buying one.

peekay

Adventurer
I had a regular cab Tiger RV on a F-350 chassis. The Earthroamer is even larger. The Tiger was tough to offroad on anything harder than a blue/intermediate trail. The height just made it unwieldy. I cannot imagine offroading in the Earthroamer. Maybe some sandy washes, and Mojave Trail-like roads, but nothing substanitally more.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Larger expedition RV's are not rock crawlers, they were/are built for people that want to travel to places/distances that a traditional RV could not do (I use the European/Australian trucks as a role model). They are for people who do not want to live in a RTT or park in a KOA campground. Well at least that is why we are building ours. I guess they are not a Jeep and they are not a Winnebago but are built for a purpose. I know we will be on a fair amount of pavement while traveling, but will also be on developing nation dirt roads, all the time having our home with us. What matters is what the owner bought/built it for and if they are having fun doing it.

C p weinberger

VMRV,
I think you have made a good point about Earthroamer usability.
I think what causes a bit of the eye rolling by non owners is the advertisement by Earthroamer and bragging of there 4x4 potential by owners without the attempt of ever using it as it was built and you are still bragging it can do.
For example, Yesterday I saw a group of guys at a local restaurant standing next to their McLaren supercars. I love the look and the sound of those cars. I don’t begrudge their owners for being able to afford those cars. But the “peacocking” but the owners was nauseous.
I feel it is the same with the expensive 4x4 market in general. Buy and drive whatever you want and can afford but be honest why you bought it and keep the “peacocking” to a minimum please....
Trophy wife = trophy camper?
My2cents

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hey, I think Earthroamers are gosh jolly groovy, but do they ever go off road?
I search vids, but the only off-roading I see is it drive up to a rock and take some still pics with stuff in the background that we all wish they would go drive on...
Are they just too expensive to go off road or push to their limits?

These big vehicles are much more "rough road" vehicles than "off road" vehicles. They are well suited to long-duration expedition style travel, perhaps more so than your treasured Honda.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Earthroamer driven around the world. You will note that the problems were all Ford/diesel problems, not problems with the Earthroamer, per se.

That extreme enough for you? Overlanding is NOT off-roading.

But no, I wouldn't buy an Earthroamer. ;)

dreadlocks

Its an EarthCruiser, not a roamer.. but I was pretty impressed by this video posted by one of our members in the forsale section

Now thats not something yer gonna do in a Winnebago and live to tell about it.. there's alot of world to explore before you'd ever feel compelled to do some rock crawling to get to the last 1% of it.

Porkchopexpress

In my opinion, the tires on EarthRoamers are a bit too knobby considering most owners probably spend 99% of their mileage on paved roads. However, I have been on long dirt roads remote areas that span hundreds of miles and beat the hell out of vehicles. I see trips along roads that would destroy most RVs in a few hours as the purpose of EarthRoamer design. As for owners who never take them off the pavement, it’s their money and none of my business.

Mike W.

I just can't see spending $400,000 on a RV just so I have my satilite dish, big screen, GPS and air conditioning, heating and and wifi to go camping. Then again I still have tent stakes and an air mattress..To each his own I guess.

I just can't see spending $400,000 on a RV just so I have my satilite dish, big screen, GPS and air conditioning, heating and and wifi to go camping. Then again I still have tent stakes and an air mattress..To each his own I guess.
But it's not about camping, its about living for multiple years at a time in a small space that you want to be comfortable and feel safe in. Some people are fine doing moto trips, but most everyone needs more creature comforts when it's not a vacation or a camping trip, it's their life now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles