external key storage

jgaz

Adventurer
Mine sits on top of a frame rail with strong enough magnets that I have to slide it off the frame. It’s very difficult to lift straight up.

I live in Az so rain, snow, road salt etc. is not much of an issue.
However, every oil change, I do inspect it and spray it down with WD40 if required. I wouldn’t spray a fob but no worries with just the door key.
This protection routine worked in Michigan as well where salt etc. was a real issue.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
oh . . . . my OCD needs something more complex!

Trying to increase complexity and ensure nobody finds your key…. Hmmm…

Maybe put your key inside your spare tire? Then all you have to do is remove your spare, break the bead, get the key, reseat the bead, fill the tire, and remount it to get into your car! On the plus side, this key system allows an ether explosion each time you lock out, and it is completely weather tight!

geoffff

Observer
I just type in my door code. ?

View attachment 672755

Yes, that's what I do! I always hide my key somewhere in the van when I go out (can't lose it), and have my keypad remote mounted near my rear license plate. I also have another key ziptied hidden up in the frame somewhere, but don't tell anyone :)

Sportsmobile--Keypad.jpg

s.e.charles

Trying to increase complexity and ensure nobody finds your key…. Hmmm…

Maybe put your key inside your spare tire? Then all you have to do is remove your spare, break the bead, get the key, reseat the bead, fill the tire, and remount it to get into your car! On the plus side, this key system allows an ether explosion each time you lock out, and it is completely weather tight!

i think we're finally getting somewhere.

Q: is there a good spot to hide my tire irons? *

*i tried; only one of them will fit up there.

86scotty

Cynic
Just another idea here. I've done it once and likely will again. If you have a tall vehicle such as a van or lifted full size truck plus a roof rack full of overlandy crap you can likely find a spot to hide your key on the rack. Under a solar panel, inside a frame rail, etc. It is pretty unlikely anyone will look up there and it's out of the mud. and road spray. I've always found my hidden keys to be quite a mess to get to when I need to. Of course, depending on your situation the sun could be an enemy on the roof.

@kylethompson Do you leave your Hitch Safe inserted all the time (except when towing or using the receiver, of course) or only insert/remove it when needed? Asking for a friend who lost one of the 2 pins driving around (fortunately not the whole thing). Could not agree more that Ford's keypad is awesome.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Had never heard of a 'hitch safe' , had to look it up. Doesn't look like a great place to put anything you don't want wet and muddy as the top is open. Curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles