External connectors for a LiFePO4 battery box (anderson, XT-60)?

oldnslow

Observer
I'm starting my DC DC charge project. At some point in my youtubing I saw a video that said to get the most out of the XT connector make sure you get the solar xt with the 3rd pin. Otherwise the ecoflo will not recognize it as solar and will treat it as DC car charging and slow charge to protect OEM wiring (wiring from a stock 12v outlet)

I cannot find that video, cannot confirm that information or find a 3rd port XT connector. Was I given bad info, am I going crazy?
I have an Ecoflow Delta 2 and I believe you are right about that 3rd pin. I have the Ecoflow folding 160W panel and it does have that 3rd pin. The XT60 cables that I bought from Amazon do not. I haven't used that panel yet but now I think I may have a problem if I used my extender cable. The 12V cable from Ecoflow also has that 3rd pin, I will have to check to see if it is connected.

I know they do limit charging from a ciggy plug to 8A / 96W but I didn't know how they did it. Now I think I know.

(edit) More and better info below.

Last edited:

oldnslow

Observer
On further testing and reviewing what I have, The Ecoflow portable panel had MC4 connectors. I had bought an MC4 to XT60 cable from Amazon and it does NOT have a 3rd pin. I did use it last summer once and I was getting 150W out of my 200W solar panels in Oregon, with the panels laying flat. So that 3rd pin is not needed for solar. I have since changed out the MC4 connectors for Anderson PowerPoles.

What that 3rd pin is used for is the Ecoflow ciggy to XT60 cable. It has the 3rd pin tied to plus. Apparently that is what tells the Ecoflow to limit power to 8A on a ciggy outlet. The actual power on the Ecoflow display at 12V is 91W, or about 7.6A.

I tested it with another ciggy to XT60 cable without the 3rd pin, driven by a 12V 120W power supply and got only 95W. Since a vehicle runs about 14-14.5V while charging that may give higher power. I will have to test that to see what I get.

(edit) I got 108W at 14.6V without the 3rd pin, and 99W with the 3rd pin. This makes me question the usefulness that 3rd pin. The low voltage (solar panel will be 16-18V) limits the power to about 7A anyway. On the other hand, the Ecoflow app lets you limit it to 4A, and that could be useful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94