Exterior wiring through foam composite

Hi all,

Any ideas for wiring exterior items (eg lights) through foam composite panels?
Are there long waterproof grommets? Something to stop the wires rubbing? Also if I fill with silicon how do I replace faulty parts when the wires run through the shell?

Thanks for any ideas,

Jim.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I wouldn't be super worried about vertical pass-throughs (i.e. walls), but for the roof (solar, antennas, etc) it makes sense to have as few holes as possible. I like to have a single hole with feeding multiple devices. As with a lot of things for overland, the marine industry is your friend for this.

Alloy

I wouldn't be super worried about vertical pass-throughs (i.e. walls), but for the roof (solar, antennas, etc) it makes sense to have as few holes as possible. I like to have a single hole with feeding multiple devices. As with a lot of things for overland, the marine industry is your friend for this.

Cable claims are great. I like to use them for multiple cables that may require the wires to be changed.

Edit....where the backside is no accessible the cable clam bolts will need to be drilled an tapped.

For single wires and cable like SOOW and 12VDC duplex I use a strain relief.

These come in straight and tappeerd ( NPT / pipe) thread. I like to use the tapered thread. One needs the right size (NPT) tap and I use a hole saw as twist drills tend to splinter the fiberglass. The threads and wire are sealed with black urethane.

Wires penetrating vertical walls need a drip loop.

If the wire isn't jacketed where it passes through the inside of the panel/wall I will drill a bigger hole to provide more clearance or wrap the wire to protect it from abrasion.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Nothing will bond to cured silicone, not even more silicone. So if you ever need to repair or change something, you are in trouble. If a non-neutral cure silicone is used, it can also cause corrosion issues on some metal surfaces.

Joe917

Explorer
silicone fails. when it fails nothing will bond to it including new silicone.... luthj beat me to it!
Cured silicone must be removed completely, mechanically and then chemically before a new bond. Trust me don't go there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles