Exterior Preservation (Keeping the Dang Thing Clean)

So when wifey and I went looking for a new Jeep Wrangler, we wanted the “full-body” paint and fenders package. Not one to be found anywhere. But, we did find a gorgeous 2021 Rubicon in HellaYella and fell in love with it. And it has the black fenders and black hardtop, in addition to the black “inserts” in the hood. Really love this thing, about 1500 miles so far.

Anyway, what do you recommend to keep the black fenders, and other parts from turning grey or white? I tend to keep vehicles 8-10 years and I would love to preserve the beautiful looks of my new friend. Waxes, tire shine, etc. ideas would be appreciated!

I don’t mind getting it dirty, but I would like to get it clean after a good trail ride.

Thanks!
Ultima Thule16173A9B-9A72-45B7-9F1F-125A1EC3117C.jpeg

D

Deleted member 9101

Do a diy ceramic coat on the paint. Takes a weekend to do right, but it's totally worth it. I use McKees 37 and it's very easy to apply and last for years.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
What 'Shovel' said. I've gotten a lot of compliments on how new mine still looks and I know a lot of that comes from keeping the black plastic looking new. Once a little mud gets on the fenders, they are a PAIN to get back to black unless they're washed immediately. Lots of 'Back to Black' rubbing into them. It takes me like 3 or 4 attempts at each fender until they finally hold the black again. I just pour a drink, and start my laps around the Jeep until I don't see splotches anymore. I'll be moving to a minimalistic steel rear bumper as I did the front to partially get rid of this pain. I like the black fenders but painted would have been way easier.

D

Deleted member 9101

CMX makes a plastic restorer that you can buy at Walmart that works really well.

What 'Shovel' said. I've gotten a lot of compliments on how new mine still looks and I know a lot of that comes from keeping the black plastic looking new. Once a little mud gets on the fenders, they are a PAIN to get back to black unless they're washed immediately. Lots of 'Back to Black' rubbing into them. It takes me like 3 or 4 attempts at each fender until they finally hold the black again. I just pour a drink, and start my laps around the Jeep until I don't see splotches anymore. I'll be moving to a minimalistic steel rear bumper as I did the front to partially get rid of this pain. I like the black fenders but painted would have been way easier.
What about the top? I will pick up some Meguiars for the fenders, does it work on the top as well?

Blowby

Folk are mentioning Back to Black which I must say I have not had a lot of sucess with.What has worked for me for many years and is still my Go To restorer for plastic is Black Wow classic works like a charm and a small amount goes a long way.

pith helmet

@Ultima Thule

I haven’t had much problem with top fade but the rest noticeably faded in a year. At that time it was already worse than the black plastic on our 15 year old Element. We just use the drive thru car wash and hit it with Back to Black. The twill soft top gets a little more TLC when is on, especially the windows.

I would recommend putting some of the molded plastic mud flaps on the front at least. Really keeps it cleaner and helps minimize paint chipping down on the door hinges. I haven’t ripped them of yet and strangely like the way they look.

I also assume Mopar sent you some touch up paint? If not, a little dabber tube of that with the gel coat is great to have.

And don’t worry, you get used to the cracked windshield. ?

DC7D9AC7-959A-43CF-92A9-39FD81107C12.jpeg

Last edited:

Jpfan

For plastic protection, I have heard very good things about CarPro DLUX. Although I don’t have any first hand experience with it.

On the paint protection side of things, there are a lot of great ceramic and graphene based spray-on products (Meguiars, Turtle Wax, Griots, etc.) that are easy to use and source. They also last a respectable amount of time, however of course they won’t last as long as a true ceramic coating.

Definitely look into some type of hinge protection. With the standard Rubicon rails, and wider track, the hinge paint will get a lot of chips over time. I prefer apply PPF to the hinges themselves, however as @pith helmet mentioned mud flaps are another option.

@Ultima Thule

I haven’t had much problem with top fade but the rest noticeably faded in a year. At that time it was already worse than the black plastic on our 15 year old Element. We just use the drive thru car wash and hit it with Back to Black. The twill soft top gets a little more TLC when is on, especially the windows.

I would recommend putting some of the molded plastic mud flaps on the front at least. Really keeps it cleaner and helps minimize paint chipping down on the door hinges. I haven’t ripped them of yet and strangely like the way they look.

I also assume Mopar sent you some touch up paint? If not, a little dabber tube of that with the gel coat is great to have.

And don’t worry, you get used to the cracked windshield. ?

View attachment 674611
I already had a cracked windshield, lol. Luckily, I planned ahead and got the insurance from the dealer. They replaced the windshield at no cost to me. I put less than 500 miles on it before that. On the other hand, this is my third Jeep over the years, so I’m aware of some of the quirks. Dang I love this thing!

I picked up some Back To Black today, and a couple new microfiber towels. Also researching the ceramic coatings. EcoBoosted mentioned McKees 37, I’m looking into that. The local ceramic guy has left the business, so it will have to be DIY.

86scotty

Cynic
Great looking Jeep. I wouldn't worry about it though. Let if fade. It will still be worth what you paid for it when you sell and the idiot who buys it will probably yank all the factory stuff to put on those awful open wheel fenders and angry birds grill on the first day.

pith helmet

I already had a cracked windshield, lol. Luckily, I planned ahead and got the insurance from the dealer. They replaced the windshield at no cost to me. I put less than 500 miles on it before that. On the other hand, this is my third Jeep over the years, so I’m aware of some of the quirks. Dang I love this thing!
my first. somehow these things are greater than the sum of their parts! love the yella.

D

Deleted member 9101

EcoBoosted mentioned McKees 37, I’m looking into that. The local ceramic guy has left the business, so it will have to be DIY.

DIY is pretty easy, just takes time to do it right. Paying for a paint correction and ceramic coat can easily cost 2k at a reputable shop. Doing it yourself is under 150.00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles