Exterior 110 plug on vehicle.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I was looking though a bunch of old threads on here and I couldn't find anything on this.

I am trying to figure out how to mount a 110 plug on my truck utilizing my inverter. I know Scott did it and a bunch of others I'm sure. How is it done? with like an extension cord or something?

eugene

Explorer
I'd use the grey plastic electrical box with the weatherprood cover and the flexible conduit. Look at how an electrical outlet is near a pool or hot tub or mounted somewhere in the landscaping and use those kind of parts.

toyrunner95

Explorer
yeah my plan is to use a normal exterior house plug that is all weather proof. but how do i get the supply to it? do i have to take apart my inverter or do i use a male plug on the inverter end, then wire up a house plug on the other?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Simplest would be, essentially, an extension cord whose outlet end happens to be the water resistant/proof enclosure.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo I guess it depends on where you have the inverter mounted, my 700 watt has two regular 110 volt Ac OUTLETS ALREADY ON IT

IMGP0644a.jpg

:safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

eugene

Explorer
ntsqd said:
Simplest would be, essentially, an extension cord whose outlet end happens to be the water resistant/proof enclosure.

Even when I need an extension cord anymore I buy a cord with no female end and an electricl box and plug and make one. the inverter end if a preference, if you don't want to open it then plug a cord in.

toyrunner95

Explorer
my inverter does have a 110 plug on it. the plan is to mount that inside my centerconsole, then put a plug on the outside of the console so a laptop or a batt charger can be plugged into it (like a cell phone charger). the distance between the two would be rather short so it would be inexpencive. i was just wondering how everyone has done it in the past.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
You could get something like this from Grainger.

Notice it has an optional cover plate if you want a spring-loaded door.

Personally, I'd try to scrounge a flush-mounted receptacles off of the back of an old computer (some of them had a place to plug in the monitor). Of course, it could be a problem if you forget to turn the inverter off before you flood your cab...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
eugene said:
Even when I need an extension cord anymore I buy a cord with no female end and an electricl box and plug and make one. the inverter end if a preference, if you don't want to open it then plug a cord in.
Exactly how I prefer to do it, though it doesn't always happen that way.

eugene

Explorer
toyrunner95 said:
my inverter does have a 110 plug on it. the plan is to mount that inside my centerconsole, then put a plug on the outside of the console so a laptop or a batt charger can be plugged into it (like a cell phone charger). the distance between the two would be rather short so it would be inexpencive. i was just wondering how everyone has done it in the past.

Something like a cell phone charger ypur much better off buying a 12v in charger, the inverter will waste way more electricity in the iversion process which means shorter run times when your engine is not running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94