Extended Range, batteries in the trailer

billiebob

Eventually we will be comparing the gas powered automobile with the gas powered washing machine and our grandkids will go wow did you really drive those things.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
The trailer has 120hp driving its wheels.
Might be an interesting idea for the off road trailers for more traction?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Huh. Pretty interesting concept. I didn't note if it was possible for the trailer to feed energy back to the tow vehicle to recharge the TV en route?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Thats possible but completely daft. The extra resistance while ’self generating’ will vastly exceed the energy expended to overcome said resistance.
Otherwise, use self generation only as a dynamic braking function.
Constructing that slaved to the cars kinetic recovery dynamic braking or as more conventional concept of stand alone ’trailerbrakes’ seems like a Mouseclickers wet dream.
As far as a trailered battery.
Its been done at least once. I saw an article about a guy mounted a Tesla battery slab to a trailer. The article gave no details how it was electrically connected to the car. But it did state while connected it can only charge at home or Destination Charger.
Tesla Superchargers detect something amiss then shut off.
Ah okay. It did mention the trailer already has regenerative braking. So I am wondering if when the battery is charged, if the extra energy could be stored in the TV battery as it wouldn't have room to go back in the trailers battery. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it all works.

billiebob

Ah okay. It did mention the trailer already has regenerative braking. So I am wondering if when the battery is charged, if the extra energy could be stored in the TV battery as it wouldn't have room to go back in the trailers battery. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it all works.
anything can be easily programmed with electric power. which is the beauty of electric motors. fully variable power output/consumption in a dial. want to blow the doors off that Corvette crank it up. need to get 500 miles.... reduce power available and start sipping like a hyper miler in a TDI. that massive adjustability is the attraction of e-power. with a gas engine you get a bit of flexibility but no where near the range efficiency of a computer controlled electric power train.

On energy consumption, wether it is gas or electricity they both gobble up the fuel and kill the range when cranked up for peak power. An electric motor is no less efficient than a V8 on nitrous, nitrous requires an additional pump, plumbing to deliver enough gas for combustion. an electric motor can do the same thing by twisting a dial..... and likely beat that nitrous injected pro street racer.

For an IT geek guy...... electric Civics will be better than the tuner racers of the past decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles