Extended JK, JXL

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

Company may be gone, or just Covid shut down. If so, thats too bad, because this looked like a great idea.

I called them twice in past week and half, got only an answering machine each time but it wouldn’t record any message from the caller (system just doesn’t work). My recent email inquiry to them also went unanswered.

billiebob

I love the JK but I find the JKU too cramped to ever buy one. The rear extension is cool but it needs 4" more legroom before I'd consider buying one. The 2 door does what I expect, seating for 2 plus a dog. Which is all the 4 door does too.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I had a good look at this kit at Overland Expo a few years ago before I built my JK + Ursa Minor for around Africa.

I can say categorically the worst thing about my Wrangler is that it's too heavy, and it impacts how it drives and handles.

I can also say if I had another 18 inches of storage space in the rear, you can bet I'd fill it with stuff. (I have no idea what, but the goldfish always fills the bowl).

The last thing I need is a place to put more stuff, because that is just more weight.

Also if I remember correctly this thing costs around $18k.

For that money you can buy an Ursa Minor AND pay for gas and beer for your entire 2 year, 40,000 mile trip from Alaska to Argentina.

-Dan

billiebob

I had a good look at this kit at Overland Expo a few years ago before I built my JK + Ursa Minor for around Africa.

I can say categorically the worst thing about my Wrangler is that it's too heavy, and it impacts how it drives and handles.

I can also say if I had another 18 inches of storage space in the rear, you can bet I'd fill it with stuff. (I have no idea what, but the goldfish always fills the bowl).

The last thing I need is a place to put more stuff, because that is just more weight.

For that money you can buy an Ursa Minor AND pay for gas and beer for your entire 2 year, 40,000 mile trip from Alaska to Argentina.

-Dan
As a young man I'd agree, as a lethargic senior I'd fill the extra space with air. I just want more space for me.

ratled

Adventurer
Poor customer service kept me from buying one from them. Before them Matt at EO was going to be the USA vendor for them. I had several GREAT long conversations with Matt and I was going to send the deposit but he said to wait until he officially got the contract. There was a thread on this back then. EO thread

Overland.De has a great build thread on theirs in Germany.
Overland DE build

If you search You Tube and FB there are some nice videos out there on them. My favorite after Brad's (Trailrecon)

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
It's a nice concept but I wonder what the weight is on one of those once it's fully kitted out? My Ursa Minor JKURR is currently @6000 lbs fully packed and loaded with people, water, and fuel, and it just went on a diet to get that low. If only the Jeep had more load carrying capacity......I want a harry potter style camper for my Jeep next, complete with three bedrooms, a kingsize bed and a full bathroom!

ratled

Adventurer
It's a nice concept but I wonder what the weight is on one of those once it's fully kitted out? My Ursa Minor JKURR is currently @6000 lbs fully packed and loaded with people, water, and fuel, and it just went on a diet to get that low. If only the Jeep had more load carrying capacity......I want a harry potter style camper for my Jeep next, complete with three bedrooms, a kingsize bed and a full bathroom!
Don't forget the solar powered freezer that holds 2 quartered elk......

When I asked Mat at EO about the weight he said the kit added about the same weight as a skelitor roof rack and RTT/300 pounds.
ratled

PS- the handle shayes4me- is that a steam engine reference?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
since shays4me posted a photo of a shay locomotive, I'll post another "shay4you" :) This is a drawing I did for a magazine article I wrote on the Cass Scenic Railroad some years ago.

1595533794209.png

T-Willy

-Dan

Curious: What's your Jeep's weight loaded with water, fuel, gear and the Ursa Minor? Are you over payload?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Curious: What's your Jeep's weight loaded with water, fuel, gear and the Ursa Minor? Are you over payload?

As I drove it around Africa, with me in the drivers seat, all my spares, tools, clothes, etc. and about 20 gal of fuel and 10 gal of drinking water it was 6,200.

Too heavy, and I vow to do better next time!

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz