Extendable tounge on trailer?

XJBANKER

Explorer
I am trying to figure out the hitch situation on my Conqueror Compact, the
tonuge is too short and I cannot open my tire carrier and get into the back of the Jeep while the trailer is hooked up. I am fine with extending the tube and that was the original plan, but it is nice to the shorter distance when on the trail. Using the photo below, my setup would be monted on the top instead of the bottom, but what would be the downfall of having something like the mac coupler or similar on a really long tube that you could slide all the way in against the nose cone of the trailer while on the trail, yet be able to unhook the pin and manually push the trailer back far enough to get the back of the jeep open without having to unhook the trailer all the time.

Hilldweller I stole this photo from you.
100_3752.jpg

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Not complicated as long as you have room to retract. Keep in mind that the 2" receiver tube needs to be mounted in such a way that it is able to withstand the additional force from the lever action from the longer tongue. Here's how we do it in special applications.

Attachments

• CIMG2787.JPG
    CIMG2787.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG2786.JPG
    CIMG2786.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 57

WMac

Adventurer
Nothing wrong with it at all, I have that exact setup on one of my trailers and it works well. I can even completly remove it for security. I've often thought of doing the same thing to my Conquest.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My trailer nose has a long receiver tube. I had my MAX coupler welded to the same diameter tube and drilled several holes in it. Now I can adjust my length as needed. I did this because I wasn't quite sure where the balance point would want to end up, and like you, I needed to clear my nose box with the tire carrier mounted to the rear of my Jeep. I don't really have a photo of that, but you might get the general idea from here:

The nose mounted receiver tube goes all the back to the tub, behind the propane tank. It's about 38" long altogether

1140563131_bTGfr-X2.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Here's my detail for the front of my M116A2...it added about 18" more than the original lunette assembly

Attachments

• ROAM Tongue.jpg
    ROAM Tongue.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 29

refried

Adventurer
Sailboat trailers have sliding tongues that extend 8-10', I've never seen any problems with them other than bowing when winching a heavy boat up the trailer.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Thanks that is the response that I was looking for. Glad to know I was not thinking of doing something stupid.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Will the tailgate clear without the spare tire on it? If so I'd rather raise the spare tire than start altering a well-made trailer. If all you need is an inch or two this would be a great alternative - http://www.warriorproducts.com/catalog/07-11-jeep-wrangler-jk/brackets/spare-tire-spacer/

spare-tire-spacer-toy.jpg

When my FJ's stock-sized spare didn't clear my hitch-mounted cargo carrier I got one of those and it works fine.

Of course, if the door itself doesn't clear the trailer tongue, just ignore me. :coffeedrink:

DrMoab

Explorer
It's not really a tailgate problem. It's the swingout built into the bumper. I have the same bumper and the same problem. With mine I can jackknife the trailer just a bit and get it open.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Not complicated as long as you have room to retract. Keep in mind that the 2" receiver tube needs to be mounted in such a way that it is able to withstand the additional force from the lever action from the longer tongue. Here's how we do it in special applications.

Mario, do you sleeve the smaller diameter (assuming 2"x2") tube to add extra strength? What is the wall thickness on it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior