Extendable tongue? Regrets?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
So I recently got an AT Chaser for my Jeep. I’m liking it so far, but it took all of 12 seconds to realize that it can’t / won’t allow the back of the Jeep to open while hitched. Given that disconnecting a max coupler each and every time I want something from the back of the Jeep, I see 2 options:

1) strip all the boxes, water tank, jerry can mounts off the tongue

2) build an extending / telescopic tongue.

The modifications would be pretty easy to change this to a 3’ telescoping tongue, longer would get harder, but I could also do 4’.

So, the question: has anyone done this and regretted it? What were the issues? I’m thinking it gets something like 3/4 positions all basically formed by a receiver tube and multiple cross pin positions.

I’m thinking potential issues could be:

Bending the drawbar
Pulling it out
Lots of excess safety chain and wire needed

What am I missing and would you do it again?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Why make it telescoping? Use or make an extension. I extended the tongue on my 416. Made life so much easier not having to unhitch every time I needed to get into the back of my truck.

That is a great question, and exactly why I asked in general before cutting and welding. A fixed drawbar extension probably only costs about $40 and takes about 30 min to build, and doesn’t require permanent modification to the trailer. If I would find myself never really collapsing a telescopic that might cost $200 and take a full day to build, the fixed could be a right solution, or a good first solution, until I find situations where I wish it collapsed.

old_CWO

I have an AT Chaser A frame coupler on my trailer. Very beefy unit. Their 7 way box mounting plate location is convenient, but it would be a lot more convenient if you could just un-pin and slide the hitch tube insert straight through to make it adjustable on the fly... The ferry example is certainly one where a feature like that would shine.

I currently have both a short (8") and long (28") hitch bar. In my case, the long one get used all the time so lacking adjustability hasn't turned out to be an issue (so far). You might just find the same thing; there is a sweet spot for length and that's all you really need.

Extensions for the wiring and safety chains are a piece of cake.

billiebob

How about cut off the hitch plus a foot of the tongue. Find a tube to slide in, hopefully with a heavier wall so it won't bend. Slide it into the hitch and weld it. Slide the other end into the trailer tongue and pin it. Have a long position to clear the tailgate and a short position for ferry fares and storage shed fitting.

Only extend it enough to clear the tailgate.

Teardropper

I had the same problem with my teardrop. When I upgraded to a 3rd gen Tacoma, the tailgate wouldn't quite clear the trailer's jack.

I bought an extended ball mount.

T

Teardropper

I moved tha jack on both of my trailers..

I went with a side mount jack on this last build.

NlocEWY.jpg

Works great.

dreadlocks

I had this issue towing w/my hatchback, extended the tongue and never regretted anything.. just made it more stable at speed and easier to backup if anything.. I had a bosal hitch on that so extending it further back wouldn't work and I was already pushing the tongue limits.. an extension off vehicle moves leverage point further from rear axle and reduces tongue rating.. whereas extending leverage infront of trailer axle reduces tongue weight, presuming you dont bolt more stuff onto the new found tounge space.

rnArmy

Adventurer
When I put a swing-away spare tire carrier on my TJ, I had to extend the tongue about 8". Otherwise I couldn't open it all the way (first picture). I sleeved it, and put a 2" receiver tube up front like before So half the sleeve is the new 2" receiver, and the other half goes over the trailer's tongue attached to the frame. Now not only can I fully open the swing-away spare tire carrier, I can actually see the trailer's tires in the side view mirror when towing it (since it is a little further back).

Attachments

• tongue.3.jpg
    tongue.3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Tongue.9.jpg
    Tongue.9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
  • Tongue.10.jpg
    Tongue.10.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
  • tongue.24.jpg
    tongue.24.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • tongue.27.jpg
    tongue.27.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
  • tongue.31.jpg
    tongue.31.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • tongue.32.jpg
    tongue.32.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • Tongue.7.jpg
    Tongue.7.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 60

rnArmy

Adventurer
I think 18 bolts are enough. Barely. I have a problem... I like drilling holes and bolting things together.:)

The end of the frame's tongue and the 2" receiver hitch tube that butts up to it meet in the middle of the sleeve (arrow, second picture).

Attachments

• tongue.29.jpg
    tongue.29.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 59
  • tongue.30.1.jpg
    tongue.30.1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member