Expression of Interest - WA Trip May 2018.

Bris31

Adventurer
We (2x Mitsubishi Canters 639/649) are seeking company of another similar vehicle for a trip across WA. The trip starts from Alice Springs on May 29th 2018 for 2+ months taking us through W. MacDonnell ranges, Kings Canyon, Ayer's Rock, Gunbarrel hwy, Karijini NP, Windjana Gorge/Mornington AWC, Mitchel Plateau, Purnululu NP, Tanami track, Alice.

Sometime our travel can be up to 3-400 km a day or we just be enjoying the beauty of outback at some interesting place for few days. If you are short of time then you can join us part of the trip. ATM starting date 29th May from Alice is pretty much that we are looking at but otherwise we are easy going and would take the situation as it comes.

If interested and the time frame suits then PM me for more information.

Cheers
Brij

Attachments

• WA-Trip-Map.jpg
    WA-Trip-Map.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 51

Clyde4x4fuso

It will be a fantastic trip for sure. Wish that I had the time to tag along, as I just love the top half of WA especially around Karijini! Very envious.

stephenh1235

"Have gun will travel"
You have picked what I believe to be the "best month of the year" to start your trip! Hopefully I will be east of Port Hedland - Marble Bar on the Nullagine River if the rains provide!20170704_165140.jpg20170707_094152.jpg

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Thanks Steve. Any tip will be much appreciated :)

One idea is there is not much below the bungles, but you could head further east and see keep river and east/west Gregory Nat Parks. Lake argyle. Back to Katherine gorge and down through devils marbles to Alice springs.
But what ever you end up doing will be awesome.
Safe trip
Steve

Ps don't miss the water crossing near Kununurra. It's great fun
4WDAUS-driving-across-Ivanhoe-Crossing-3.jpg

See blog for more details
http://http://www.4wdaus.com/kununurra-broome-via-gibb-river-road/

Last edited:
I'm in! Time to get a bit of planning underway. I've a preparation list started.

Does anyone have some observations of their experiences with fgs about particular areas to check before a remote and rough trip as parts of this have the potential to be?

Any weak areas to pay attention to over and above normal servicing items? E.g. shocks take a pounding? Shock mount? Suspension bushes? I have ATW parabolics and the Toyo singles.

Talking older 2000 to 2003 vintage vehicles. 637 and 649.

Happy New Year😁

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I'm in! Time to get a bit of planning underway. I've a preparation list started.

Does anyone have some observations of their experiences with fgs about particular areas to check before a remote and rough trip as parts of this have the potential to be?

Any weak areas to pay attention to over and above normal servicing items? E.g. shocks take a pounding? Shock mount? Suspension bushes? I have ATW parabolics and the Toyo singles.

Talking older 2000 to 2003 vintage vehicles. 637 and 649.

Happy New Year😁

This might help. It was written back in the 637/649 days. Happy New Year to you too.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/19067-FG-fleet-mechanic-interview?highlight=mechanic

On that maintenance and service note. Can anyone recommend a thorough and reasonably priced truck mechanic service preferably northern end of Sunshine Coast?

My last experience with a Noosaville outfit resulted in a number of jobs not done and a partially engaged hydraulic winch at the pto which made changing gears somewhat I interesting until I found the cause.

By the way, I will be removing the 15000lb Superwinch and pump ,tank etc as our front axle weight is way over on our ex army 637. Talk about over-engineered! Has created a few weight related headaches with the body designed to sling the entire vehicle onto a ship or dangle from a Chinook. I like the paint job though!😁

Winch will be for sale to interested parties...probably never used, truck had 24 k when we got it...as new...almost. Cheers, Neil

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
On that maintenance and service note. Can anyone recommend a thorough and reasonably priced truck mechanic service preferably northern end of Sunshine Coast?

My last experience with a Noosaville outfit resulted in a number of jobs not done and a partially engaged hydraulic winch at the pto which made changing gears somewhat I interesting until I found the cause.

By the way, I will be removing the 15000lb Superwinch and pump ,tank etc as our front axle weight is way over on our ex army 637. Talk about over-engineered! Has created a few weight related headaches with the body designed to sling the entire vehicle onto a ship or dangle from a Chinook. I like the paint job though!😁

Winch will be for sale to interested parties...probably never used, truck had 24 k when we got it...as new...almost. Cheers, Neil

Neil...... I didn't know you were here in Noosa. Viewing the forum on my phone doesn't display posters location like on my laptop??? Anyway the best (IMO) Canter guy around is right here in Noosaville but he doesn't do outside work not would he have the time. I do know another guy in Yandina who also does fleet maintenace but may look at some extra work. PM me if you want to know more. Who did you get to do the work before?

Hi John (think that's correct🤔),

Yup, am at B Point. I noticed on your profile a windsurfer, I try to get out on the lake as much as possible, been a bit uncooperative recently though!

The mechanic I have supported over the last couple of years is Noosa Car and Truck/4wd Obsession. Unfortunately won't be continuing due to a range of issues.

I'm aware of Alf in Yandina, does he do the ATW diffs and other bits? Often try to coincide the annual COI with a service but found Alf doesn't do them anymore.

Your Noosaville man is attached to Adventure Tours, as per the link earlier?

I'll pm you to see if you have any other gems.

Thanks for link to discussion, seems fgs are fairly bullet proof although chassis require some vigilance.

Neil

Bris31

Adventurer
Slight change in plan (but still leaving Alice Springs on 29th May)

Now 2x FG Canters (Frankie & Foxroo) are doing this trip from Alice in reverse directions than originally planned. This way we can have cooler months in the north, avoid school holidays season and less flies :)

Attachments

• MAP - Propsed route V1.JPG
    MAP - Propsed route V1.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 22

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles