Express van spare tire ratchet problem

goin camping

Explorer
I lowered my spare and when it got 6 inches from the ground it stopped. I could keep turning the crank and it made all the right noises but it went no lower.

I tried to raise it and after it went up 5-6 it stopped raising. Still making clicking noises but no further up movement. Still have 5 inches +/- t go.

Van is from AZ so no sign of rust anywhere.

Any ideas on what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Choff

Adventurer
Had the same thing go wrong with mine, Check Utube and see the others that have had the same issue.
Ended up replacing with new the lowering device that is the problem.
The problem they don't get used.
A pain in the ass when they have a 50 to 75 lb spare tire hanging !!!! and it will not lower.

christ0pher_m

First and last time that happened it was in my driveway and couldn't imagine doing that on the side of the road. So I cut the cable and added this:
https://www.amazon.com/Surco-TF200-Tire-Carrier-Ford/dp/B001P2EWO2
Says for a Ford, but fits fine (you do have to drill holes in the door). I also added bigger washers than it came with. Put it on as a temporary fix thinking I'd get a bumper with a swing out someday, been on a year and hasn't budged and the door doesn't seem to be sagging with 60ish pounds of wheel and tire.
41204690315_6e7567973c_c.jpg

45Kevin

Adventurer
I've had problems with mine as well.
There is a trick to getting it to work.
Read the owners manual.
You have to let it down a certain distance then raise it back up a few inches, then stand up and turn around three time...

Check the manual, there a not so intuitive way to get them working properly.

Of course, it could just be broken as well.

GimpyGolden

First and last time that happened it was in my driveway and couldn't imagine doing that on the side of the road. So I cut the cable and added this:
https://www.amazon.com/Surco-TF200-Tire-Carrier-Ford/dp/B001P2EWO2
Says for a Ford, but fits fine (you do have to drill holes in the door). I also added bigger washers than it came with. Put it on as a temporary fix thinking I'd get a bumper with a swing out someday, been on a year and hasn't budged and the door doesn't seem to be sagging with 60ish pounds of wheel and tire.
41204690315_6e7567973c_c.jpg

I am looking at this mount for my '11 E-150
What is the backspacing on your rim (including sidewall) if you don't mind?
My 265/75/16 on stock wheel is 5.5" and want to verify I'll have enough depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier