Express/Savana Swing-out Tire Carrier DIY Starter

Len.Barron

Observer
For those of you that are not on the FB groups for Express Vans and 4wd Vans, this guy is making both drivers and passenger side contoured tire carrier hoops for the Express/Savana. I bought a drivers side right after he first posted them and the fit to the body is excellent, I used that one to make my own mirror image for the passenger side (because he hadn't at the time). Anyways, he's a solid guy offering a well made DIY starter kit that is considerably cheaper than anything else out there (if you can do the rest on your own). https://www.facebook.com/groups/1426529440979542/search/?query=scott rinne&epa=SEARCH_BOX

whith

The link just took me to the general page and I don’t do Facebook. Any chance you could post a photo of yours when you get it mounted?

Last edited:

whith

Thanks Gramps, I dig it! My problem has been that I use my rear doors a lot and don’t want to have to open a second latch in addition to the door. I also want the doors to still open most of the way. Something connected to the door seemed to make the most sense but those are all cheesy and sheet metal fatigue seems inevitable the way they are mounted. Is this fella active here at all or is FB the only way to contact him?

Len.Barron

Observer
designing the latch to be quick and easy is something I'm still working on; I don't want it to be an evolution every time I want to open the doors..

Len.Barron

Observer
Trying to plan this out a bit, on one side I'm going to mount my spare, on the other I want a fairly good sized storage box; something like an underbody tool box on big trucks where the face folds down and something large enough that I could maybe get a small 2000watt generator in there if I needed too...anybody come across a good deal/idea on this? The custom "expedition" boxes are just plain too expensive and mostly not large enough anyways.

marret

I've been happy with my Buyers Product box, 18x18x30. Added a railing to carry gas cans.
Buyers Product Aluminum Box
smb32.jpg

Last edited:

marret

Yep, I am happy with the sturdiness and construction of the box. Would prefer no diamond plate, but that is a minor thing. Had it on the van 2 plus years.

Len.Barron

Observer
I'm also kicking around the idea of using a trailer tongue box and just cutting in a lower front hinged opening to allow access to the generator and still have room for "other stuff"...cause there's always plenty of that.. this one https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Toolbox/RC-Manufacturing/313-TM362016M.html is only 16" deep which is plenty for a generator plus some air space, and it would stick out a bit less which may help for when I have the scooter/carrier installed.

marret

Nice box.

A front access panel would help. That one is 36" so you would want to make sure it or whatever you end up with isn't too wide.

Good point on depth.

One issue for me is with the box and tire on the bumper swing outs, I need to use a receiver extension. I do use a cargo carrier from time to time and tow a trailer with my motorcycle. I have thought about a motorcycle hitch carrier and the rear distance is a factor as you mention. Current bike is too heavy anyway.

Len.Barron

Observer
I've been happy with my Buyers Product box, 28x18x30. Added a railing to carry gas cans.
In a rare moment of clarity, I decided to keep it simple and do very much what you did, just with a slightly smaller box. I'll do a railing like you did and carry the generator on it (I'll build in some security restraint to keep it from getting nicked). I wen't with steel, I'm in socal so I don't have to fight the rust like many do.
This is a 30x14x16 so just a bit smaller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buyers-Pro...146?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

marret

Looks good and good price. Different latch than mine. I went aluminum due to weight mostly. The railing is steel though, square tubing everything except the bottom that is angle to fit over the top of the box.

Len.Barron

Observer
I got tired of the "wood-work" and switched back on to this. Got my new Buyers box in...they build the $hit out these things...if you need a box these are beast! Got the rear stripped down so I have access to the door hinge mount points and got a little start on a wood template for a lower mount. Should be able to get a bunch of this done this weekend.

Attachments

• k38.JPG
    k38.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 54
  • k39.JPG
    k39.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 61
  • k41_LI.jpg
    k41_LI.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • k42.JPG
    k42.JPG