Expovans Transit 4x4 Conversions

mgmetalworks

Explorer
IMG_4135.jpg
IMG_4134.jpg
66708180155__6505D60E-F686-47BF-80FA-5DD6779D07E7.jpg
IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4176.jpg
What I don't think comes through in the pics very well is how much taller this van is vs. a stock Transit. For reference, measured just behind the B-pillar, this van is only ~3.5" shorter than the Cummins van, ground to roof line. Also, ground clearance under front/rear diffs is 12"/9" on this Transit compared to both Eseries 4x4s I have here at the shop with ~10-11" front/back (both Eseries vans on 35s).

Unlike Quigley and Quadvan, I opted for an adjustable camber knuckle design. It converts the non-adjustable Transit suspension over to an assembly that adjusts similarly to many strut/knuckles on the road today. There is a lower strut mount that slides over the Bilstein strut body and the knuckle is a fabricated part made from a few machined parts and a few laser parts. My intent is to switch over to a fully machined knuckle once I'm done with the first couple prototype vans.

The front hub engagement is a hybrid truck/van design using parts from the F150, parts from a Transit and a few custom machined parts to adapt things all together. The hubs lock/unlock with a vacuum solenoid just like on a F150 and maintaining the system is not much different than how you'd maintain an F150. If you have familiarity at all with the F150 IWE hub locks, assembly, disassembly and maintenance will be a no brainer for you.

The front diff is 2012-ish F150, this van in particular has a remanufactured Raptor front diff with limited slip, which is to say that the limited slip carrier is the Ford part # used in '10-'14 Raptors but for all intents and purposes is the same Ford 8.8 front diff housing and such from the plain ol' F150. One of my peeves about the Transit 4x4 market is that I always hear people boasting "Quadvan uses Raptor parts". While technically it's not a fib as explained above, it is (IMO) misleading to say you're using Raptor parts without clarification of which parts especially when the only parts you can use from a Raptor are the same exact parts that fit or can be used in the F150. None of the Raptor-specific pieces (axle shafts, suspension control arms, chassis, steering rack, etc...) will work in the Transit. So to set the record straight, the Expovans conversion uses a combination of Transit, F-series and custom pieces to complete the 4x4 drive components and some upgrades from high performance applications (such as the Raptor) or aftermarket parts are compatible in some instances.

The transfer case I'll be using for the foreseeable future is the Borg Warner, manual shift which came out of 2009-ish F150s (at some point around 2012, the manual shift option went away and only ESOF tcases existed after that). I am still able to buy these new from Ford so all conversion kits will come with this tcase and cable shifter. BTW...I'm not done with the final brackets yet but the shifter will mount to the driver seat base and be completely out of the center pass-through between the seats. None...and I mean hours and hours of searching and hundreds of dollars spent buying various shifter mechanisms...NONE of the available t-case shift levers on the market today would work without a difficult install and/or being right in the frickin' way of your feet. So I decided to design my own shifter assembly and keep it really tight to the driver seat, easy to reach, not in the way AND with about as basic an install as you could possibly get on a Transit. Many of you don't know the accessibility constraints of the drivetrain in a Transit because you're so used to working on the wide open spaces under the Eseries...trust me, I'm doing what's best for everyone by making my own parts.

Because of the position of the drivetrain relative to the front axle centerline, the tcase has been moved back in the vehicle using a custom CNC machined billet aluminum tailhousing adapter and a custom designed splined adapter shaft. Total spacing is a smidge more than both Quigley and Quadvan so the front driveshaft angle on our conversion is not quite as severe as either of theirs. That said, the front driveshaft is relatively short because it has to be.

The steering rack is a pretty significant change in these conversions in that you have to go from a "rear steer" layout to a "front steer". What's that? The short answer is rear steer = rack behind axle centerline, front steer = rack in front of axle centerline. There are a few consequences of making this change that, if not done right, can seriously affect the vehicle handling characteristics. This is where the vast majority of my time was spent in the design process because I didn't want to get it wrong. I'm really happy with the outcomes I've seen in CAD and now in real life driving the van. Coincidentally, this is reason why the 2020+ Transits are difficult to convert. They have an electronic steering rack with an assortment of sensors. You can imagine the difficulty of adapting a system of complex electronics to a steering geometry that works exactly opposite of the stock configuration...

The steering rack is, you guessed it, from an F150. I tried like hell to find off the shelf power steering lines that just magically fit right in a Transit without any modifications but it turns out that it's easier to just make new lines with aftermarket fittings. The steering shaft is aftermarket, high quality, high strength joints and installs easily. Tie rods are stock F150 (They're actually much beefier than the stock Transit tie rods so don't fear the change). The steering rack mount is a fabricated assembly that bolts to the engine cross member. The mount is somewhat self-aligning to the cross member so drilling the mounting holes is pretty easy. Power steering lines are accessible and easy to install with the front bumper/grill removed.

The biggest differences between the Expovans 4x4 conversion for Transits and those of Quadvan and Quigley can be summarized by the following:
-Adjustable camber knuckle design
-2.75" of built in lift. Additional lift possible with Bilstein struts and different coils
-Up to 255/80-17 tire size (it does require what some might consider "significant" inner fender lip trimming but come on...the Transit looks good with 33's)
-Our custom splined adapter parts are made from high strength, heat treated steels...some of the strongest, highest quality steel you can make these parts out of.
-None of the serviceable items used in our conversions have been modified in any way and they're readily available through many online and local sources.
-It has been my intent from the beginning to make this conversion available as a "kit" that can be installed in someone's driveway with simple tools and I'm 99.8% of the way there. Within the next 1-2 conversions done here in-house, I'll have the exhaust routing sorted and have a (nearly) bolt in solution for that. There might be one exhaust joint that needs welding but at least it will be in an accessible location.

Aside from the exhaust, the installation of the complete 4x4 conversion is actually pretty straight forward. I believe the conversion process is easier than the Eseries conversions and will take far less time than those vans.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Dammit that looks super clean and tidy!
Makes me miss my rocket of a T150 3.5L EcoBoooooost. Was just so damn fun to drive, especially vs a Sprinter.
This LR Transit reminds me of an Iveco Daily in some ways; looks like it'd billygoat up some obstacles.
So the front struts are Bilstein B4 or B6; and if which coils were added, how much would that lift the front end? Then what to do about the rear end lift height, as right now the front-rear ride height looks pretty dang spot on (any build out in the interior of this van? If not, then the rear end would be lower than the front).
How about the rear shocks, what are you using there?
And front diff is a Raptor LSD on this van, otherwise someone can go with a standard F150 unit?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
...So the front struts are Bilstein B4 or B6; and if which coils were added, how much would that lift the front end? Then what to do about the rear end lift height, as right now the front-rear ride height looks pretty dang spot on (any build out in the interior of this van? If not, then the rear end would be lower than the front).
How about the rear shocks, what are you using there?
And front diff is a Raptor LSD on this van, otherwise someone can go with a standard F150 unit?

-B6 Struts up front. I used a Transit coil on this van but it's a part number from a different van config that is taller than what came on this T150. Total lift from our kit + Bilstein + coil is just shy of 4".
-Rear, at the moment is slightly higher than front. Interior build out will be minimal so from where it is right now, it won't see much more weight.
-Rear springs are VanCompass leaf pack. A standard conversion kit would come with a lift block and u-bolts.
-Rear shocks are VanCompass Falcon 3.3 SP2 Fast Adjust, also added Sumospring bump stops.
-Front diff is F150 8.8 so you can use a standard F150 open diff if you want.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
-B6 Struts up front. I used a Transit coil on this van but it's a part number from a different van config that is taller than what came on this T150. Total lift from our kit + Bilstein + coil is just shy of 4".
-Rear, at the moment is slightly higher than front. Interior build out will be minimal so from where it is right now, it won't see much more weight.
-Rear springs are VanCompass leaf pack. A standard conversion kit would come with a lift block and u-bolts.
-Rear shocks are VanCompass Falcon 3.3 SP2 Fast Adjust, also added Sumospring bump stops.
-Front diff is F150 8.8 so you can use a standard F150 open diff if you want.

All top shelf parts--I wouldn't expect anything less.

You've really got me thinking about another Transit (and I really don't even have much use for one, but what you've created is just too ************ to resist), but a LR (T150 3.5L EcoB 138"WB) this time....loving this LowRoof look, and a 4" lift on 33s!!! PERFECT! :love:

dman93

Adventurer
I have too much invested in our AWD Transit to consider this but I like the engineering, and the philosophy behind it. Question: do you plan to offer any other “hard parts” for 2WD or AWD Transits … I’m thinking skid plates, sliders, tow points, and maybe even a lift and rear shock bracket kit? I know that VC and I few others have some parts but more choices are good.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
...Question: do you plan to offer any other “hard parts” for 2WD or AWD Transits … I’m thinking skid plates, sliders, tow points, and maybe even a lift and rear shock bracket kit? I know that VC and I few others have some parts but more choices are good.

Possibly some of those mentioned... I'm already working on some skid plates to go with the 4x4 conversion and some of that would also work on 2wd and awd vans. I have gone pretty far down the design path of an AWD lift (a lot different approach than what has already been done plus the idea includes the possibility of the addition of a low range), but decided to finish the 4x4 design first since I had a van here waiting for conversion. We'll see how the year progresses.

simple

Adventurer
Wow, you have done a ton of hard work on this. I imagine it will pay off as the price for used fleet vans bottoms out since there are gillion out there. It will be cost effective to pick one up at a low price and convert it.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
What I really like is all of the pics of the things that the other guys don't really show.
Great to see this coming together. I like the strut pocket lift approach.

The used van market is off the charts right now, 40% year over year, and it isn't going to "bottom out" anytime soon.

campervan_man32

Any predictions on timing for those of us that are dreaming on a nightly basis of installing this 4x4 conversion kit?

Great work, btw! I know it has been a challenge and we greatly appreciate all your work for developing this option for the Transits!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Any predictions on timing for those of us that are dreaming on a nightly basis of installing this 4x4 conversion kit?

Great work, btw! I know it has been a challenge and we greatly appreciate all your work for developing this option for the Transits!

Thanks!

I'd like to find a couple vans to convert in-house early-summer-ish and then after that I think a solid DIY "kit" will be ready to release. I've been driving the white van a lot lately and it is fantastic on the road. Handles amazing and the ride is perfect IMO. I finally got the t-case shifter installed so this week I'll be doing some crawling in the dirt too. The difficult part of the 4x4 engagement is the hub locks...which have been working since the beginning with zeros issues. I just didn't have the brackets for the (interior) shifter mechanism done until a couple days ago. Now I don't have to crawl under the van to shift into 4WD. :)

campervan_man32

Thanks!

I'd like to find a couple vans to convert in-house early-summer-ish and then after that I think a solid DIY "kit" will be ready to release. I've been driving the white van a lot lately and it is fantastic on the road. Handles amazing and the ride is perfect IMO. I finally got the t-case shifter installed so this week I'll be doing some crawling in the dirt too. The difficult part of the 4x4 engagement is the hub locks...which have been working since the beginning with zeros issues. I just didn't have the brackets for the (interior) shifter mechanism done until a couple days ago. Now I don't have to crawl under the van to shift into 4WD. :)

That is great to hear! If you would want a test install on a higher mileage '19 Transit (high roof, extended 148) I may know somebody... In all seriousness, this may be a large market for you since the other 4x4 converters will not touch anything with over 50k miles on it.

One question that you may have answered and I just missed - will the interior shifter mechanism be able to function on a swivel seat?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
That is great to hear! If you would want a test install on a higher mileage '19 Transit (high roof, extended 148) I may know somebody... In all seriousness, this may be a large market for you since the other 4x4 converters will not touch anything with over 50k miles on it.

One question that you may have answered and I just missed - will the interior shifter mechanism be able to function on a swivel seat?

A HR extended Transit won't fit in my shop on the lift but I wouldn't rule it out for a beta test rig. :D

A "large market" may not happen right away but I think it can get there eventually. Especially when a few of these are out driving around and people realize that it's a pretty simple install with basic tools...and it offers more lift and alignment adjustability that the other companies don't.

The shifter mounts below the swivel seat plane. That was definitely one of the main considerations of the design aside from trying to keep it out of the way of your feet.

campervan_man32

A HR extended Transit won't fit in my shop on the lift but I wouldn't rule it out for a beta test rig. :D

A "large market" may not happen right away but I think it can get there eventually. Especially when a few of these are out driving around and people realize that it's a pretty simple install with basic tools...and it offers more lift and alignment adjustability that the other companies don't.

The shifter mounts below the swivel seat plane. That was definitely one of the main considerations of the design aside from trying to keep it out of the way of your feet.

Def happy to beta test as a home installer. Let me know when you are ready!

Great to hear on the swivel functionality! It really seems like you have thought of everything in the development process - really can't compliment you enough on the thorough work!

ericvs

This is great! Will be great to see more transits on 33s with this kit v the 31s that will be on those AWD vans.
also, the barn door is excellent, was that a factory option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz