Expovans Transit 4x4 Conversions

mgmetalworks

Explorer
I'm not ready to get into the nitty-gritty details yet but I've changed directions with some things for this Transit conversion and re-focused my efforts on three key goals: 1) A simple install that a DIY'er can easily accomplish with common tools 2) A price point competitive with other conversions. 3) A bare minimum of custom components (especially no custom wear items).

None of those three things are particularly easy but I'm getting down to the final few pieces of the puzzle now. :cool:

North

Observer
So what's the sales pitch for the average bear that can't intuitively differentiate the nuances between the different 4x4 conversion offerings? For dumb guys (me) I see $15K for a conversion that I need to do myself. Why would I choose the DIY route over a $15K solution from Quadvan or Quigley that includes install?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I would also be curious what the major differences are between this offering and the Quigley setup. Both seem to use a fair bit of F150 parts. I would be curious what suspension travel ratios, and spring options are available. Campers will have a fair bit of weight on the front axle, which may be near the F150 Front Axle weight rating?

mgmetalworks

Explorer
For all intents and purposes, the Transit remains a Transit whether you buy a Quadvan, Quigley or our kit. You can think of a 4x4 conversion in a Transit as simply adding a front differential and transfer case to the suspension that already exists in the van. There are a lot of intricate details to the integration of the front drive components that I'm glossing over here but in essence the front struts, springs, control arms, etc... are all retained so suspension travel, spring options and the like are the same as what is currently available for the platform. At this time, it is not financially viable to design and source a custom coil-over strut nor does it make sense to develop an entirely new suspension design to replace the MacPherson strut setup currently in the van. It is difficult enough to produce the parts we are making...

The biggest differentiator between our design and the other two is that our steering knuckle has camber adjustability allowing for some fine-tuning of the the alignment, plus slightly more designed-in lift. I've also put a lot of effort into serviceability without having to source parts through us. Both of the other converters use service parts that you can only get through them.

If you consider the cost of shipping a vehicle to either side of the country for a conversion at the other two shops, costs can quickly add up. We'll be offering an alternative that you can install yourself or have done by a competent shop nearby.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
The latest news...
-Van #1 final assembly is going well. If it weren't for a last minute changes to the EVAP canister relocation bracket and the T-case shifter cable/cable brackets, the van would be down on it's own 4 wheels again and ready for the road. Given that it's a holiday week though, I probably won't see the parts from the laser shop until next week.
-Overall the conversion is probably easier than an E-series conversion. However, the order of assembly is key and taking a while to document. Some parts are nearly inaccessible or at least very, very inconvenient if other parts are installed before them so it matters a lot how you go through the assembly process.
-Serviceability is no more difficult than a stock van for things like oil changes, brakes, struts, ect... I'd argue that some things will be easier because of how I designed things up front.
-I'm not gonna lie...the exhaust re-routing is a pain with the stock CAT. I've been looking for a suitable replacement and a way to make a bolt-in driver side exhaust pipe (rather than welding in a re-routed section) but it's a low priority until I'm done with all of the test miles. There is a narrow space to snake the exhaust through and you can't access it easily with the subframe in place.
-For those who haven't seen our instagram post from a couple weeks ago (@expovansoregon), here is a pic of van #1 just before it came apart to powdercoat the conversion parts.
65852658641__22192C65-3398-4C8F-829C-3AA7FB0BB09B.jpg

-Tires are Cooper ST/MAXX 255/80-17 on Method wheels
-Other things of note... this is a 2019 130wb low roof Ecoboost with barn doors, 4.10 gears, ARB locker in the back, Raptor front diff. Bilstein B6 struts up front and Falcon shocks/VanCompass spring pack in the back. Total lift from the subframe/knuckle is 2.75 plus a little extra from the Bilstein and coil up front. Upgraded the headlights to the factory HIDs, Scheel-Mann Vario XXL seats on Scopema swivels inside. It is a really sweet van! I wish I didn't have to give it back to the owner. :)

I still have a little work to do to finalize the parts list and update all of the pricing of each and every bolt (prices have changed some since I started this journey unfortunately) but it's all coming together nicely for the '15-'19 models.

The 2020+ Transits are a bit more complicated. They switched to electronic power steering in 2020 and there are now a great deal more electronic nannies involved. I have some ideas and I've been acquiring some parts here and there to start making things come to life but it could be well into next year before I have some progress updates on the '20+ conversions.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Awesome, congrats!!!
But moar pics are needed! We can't see all the goodness in the shadows. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier