ExPo's Lexus GX470 Overland Project

Looking damn fine.

Crap on the roof will impact the fuel economy of any vehicle. Most people aren't driving around every day with 3ft of stuff strapped to the roof. Occasionally on a few trips per year is fine, you simply deal with the reduced fuel economy accordingly for those few days out of the year. These aren't 8 mpg trucks so I don't see the issue. If you're attempting to get 16-20 mpg with a 5,500 lb lifted, full-time 4WD SUV, fully loaded with gear and people running 70+ mph down the road then you're going to be disappointed.

I mean, ya I guess if this is never going to leave the US you can prob get away with 10MPG + 10-15 extra gallons so you have 300-350mi range is enough for basically anywhere in USA... but you kinda cant help putting stuff on the roof if its more than 1 person (friend or wife) and you are going to do a long trek. Def not 16-20mph but I would have liked to get 13-14MPG + loaded + armor which from my own asking lots of builds seems only about 10-15% of built GXs are getting more than 12MPG fully loaded with armor

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I don't see mine get that low but I am not running 34's or larger (huge tires on a GX when considering the shape of the wheel wells), I don't drive 80+ mph, I don't treat it like a sports car, and I don't pack unnecessary crap. With a 460 built out you'll see a 13-16 mpg average depending on your payload and speeds, that's not terrible and still nets you 300+ miles per tank. If you need more range add a LRA 24-gallon or 33-gallon aux fuel tank or carry a few 4-gallon Rotopax.

kjp1969

Explorer
Our '07 is stock in every way and gets 20+mpg on the highway, lightly loaded, a/c on and 80+mph across the CA desert (CHP verified, unfortunately). This is according to the trip computer, but I have no reason to doubt it's very far off. (City driving is closer to 16mpg.) Weight and aero of stock vs. modified is the obvious difference.

BerettaMato

Great looking rig. Has there been any updates? My wife wants to do a very similar build for a DD.

Really enjoy the podcasts as well.

BlairB

Observer
Curious to see how you plumb your trail'd tank for on board water! I actually just picked up two and am thinking through that right now.

Tex68w

Beach Bum

Many thanks, I had no idea that he did this lol. I am already 10+ podcasts deep, it's been added to my podcast library as one of my preferred highway travel options.

Its interesting that a lot of long time experienced guys refer to 255/80 (the size he has) as a 10.5" wide wheel when in fact its 10" which is narrower than stock on all Lexus and Toyota platforms. GX, Tacoma, 4runner FJ.
I have found several people online when doing my research on 255/80 over 285/70 say the same thing, and its almost exclusively people with tons and tons of off-road experience calling them 10.5"

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yep, measure 33.1x10x17. That said, depending on the manufacturer of said tire they can fluctuate in actual measured size. Toyo shows the AT III to be 10" wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles