ExPo's Lexus GX470 Overland Project

kjp1969

Explorer
I admit that the Wilco isn’t as convenient because I have to open that before I can open the door.
That's a deal killer for me. Plus the cost and reduced departure. The license plate and reverse lights are easy.

Wouldn't a 265/70/17 fit underneath? I'm asking because I'll probably go that route when its time for tires on our '07. (White, Scott's clone before he started making it all awesome.)

kmroxo

Observer
That's a deal killer for me. Plus the cost and reduced departure. The license plate and reverse lights are easy.

Wouldn't a 265/70/17 fit underneath? I'm asking because I'll probably go that route when its time for tires on our '07. (White, Scott's clone before he started making it all awesome.)

I have KDSS on my Sport so there is less clearance. I decided I didn’t want to even mess with it and just got the Wilco because it wanted it rear mounted anyway.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Wilco just didn't meet my needs for ease of use and retaining my departure angle. The fuel situation is even more of a challenge, as an LRA tank is not legal to fit to a GX in the USA. Which is why the spare tire tank makes more sense for me. I just leave it empty until I go to Mexico, and then fill it up. 100% legal :)

LionZoo

Observer
A 265/70-17 fits underneath on my GX 460. Since they both use the same stock size, I'd assume it would also fit on a GX 470.

F350joe

The Wilco just didn't meet my needs for ease of use and retaining my departure angle. The fuel situation is even more of a challenge, as an LRA tank is not legal to fit to a GX in the USA. Which is why the spare tire tank makes more sense for me. I just leave it empty until I go to Mexico, and then fill it up. 100% legal :)
i didn’t realize the LRA tank was illegal. Several people are running them on the GXOR facebook group page. My understanding was just the 460 had issues in california. The titan tank is Probably a better solution anyways.

barongan

Will be fun follow
o.png

@Scott Brady What are you expecting your MPG to be at the end of this build? I guess since you are using this build for US only you dont care since its hard to go more than 200 miles round trip away from a gas station in the US....

Also why did you say the GX has a 19 gal tank when it says 23 gal?

Scott Brady

Founder
i didn’t realize the LRA tank was illegal. Several people are running them on the GXOR facebook group page. My understanding was just the 460 had issues in california. The titan tank is Probably a better solution anyways.
There are no gasoline long range tanks that are legal for the GX that I am aware of. While some individual owners may feel comfortable with the EPA fine risk, I just can't risk it as a business.

Scott Brady

Founder
@Scott Brady What are you expecting your MPG to be at the end of this build? I guess since you are using this build for US only you dont care since its hard to go more than 200 miles round trip away from a gas station in the US....

Also why did you say the GX has a 19 gal tank when it says 23 gal?
I screwed that up. Did a quick google search and it said 19 gallons, but you are absolutely correct. 23 gallons (same as the Prado)
https://www.google.com/search?q=lex...j69i57j0l6.12995j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

For MPG, I am not sure what the outcome will be, but I am planning on around 16 mpg on the highway. It will be interesting to see what the actual is.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
16 mpg highway shouldn't be an issue. I'm running a full steel winch bumper, 9500 lb winch, sliders, and 285/70's and I still touch 18-18.5 mpg on the highway if I am not towing and don't have high head winds. 16-17.5 mpg on the highway is my average, 14-15 mpg in the city and 12-14 mpg when towing (under 3,000 lbs) as long as I am not in the hills or mountains lol. I had close to 2,200 lbs total weight (trailer included) on the utility trailer running between 65-75 mph yesterday and I averaged 14.1 mpg hand calculated over 152 miles.

16 mpg highway shouldn't be an issue. I'm running a full steel winch bumper, 9500 lb winch, sliders, and 285/70's and I still touch 18-18.5 mpg on the highway if I am not towing and don't have high head winds. 16-17.5 mpg on the highway is my average, 14-15 mpg in the city and 12-14 mpg when towing (under 3,000 lbs) as long as I am not in the hills or mountains lol. I had close to 2,200 lbs total weight (trailer included) on the utility trailer running between 65-75 mph yesterday and I averaged 14.1 mpg hand calculated over 152 miles.
Just depends on the rig. I agree with no RTT or rack then it should be easy. But if you have stuff on the roof thats when you really start run into issues. TBH I see a lot of people not even able to maintain 16mpg stock which is bizarre but theres quite a few of them out there

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Crap on the roof will impact the fuel economy of any vehicle. Most people aren't driving around every day with 3ft of stuff strapped to the roof. Occasionally on a few trips per year is fine, you simply deal with the reduced fuel economy accordingly for those few days out of the year. These aren't 8 mpg trucks so I don't see the issue. If you're attempting to get 16-20 mpg with a 5,500 lb lifted, full-time 4WD SUV, fully loaded with gear and people running 70+ mph down the road then you're going to be disappointed.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I think oversized tires have the biggest effect (not talking about the math difference), far more than lift, in and of itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier