ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

RPhil

Adventurer
10,100lbs is my guess.

Found this one while looking for the link to the dealer that always has a few... nice truck and he is OBO...https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/d/ford-excursion-73-diesel/6277659964.html

Here is the dealer, they have one for over 30k! http://www.bridgepointauto.com/inventory

All things considered, that one on craigslist is priced very fairly for someone wanting to buy something already built. Axle was swapped to a Dana 60 and that coil conversion provides a noticeably better turning radius. I do not expect that listing to last very long.

For some reference on pricing, I picked up my 2000 V10 4WD for < 3k in great mechanical condition. Mine also has 4.30s and a rear LSD. Interior needs a bit of work and exterior wasn't perfect, both of which I am totally fine with if it saved me some money up front.

As others have said, the only thing keeping most people in a V10 and away from the 7.3 is price. I would have literally had to pay ~4x the cost of mine for a similar one with the 7.3. The V10 is a great powerplant all things considered. You are not going to get the best mileage in them, but that is well known. These engines were used in variants of Ford vehicles for a long, long time. You can still buy a new V10 long block from Ford. It will be for a van application and the biggest problem in putting it into an Excursion you would have is swapping the oil pan. The V10 needs to rev for its power. In my opinion, that biggest known major issue is plugs spitting out of the head, which can be remedied with a timesert if it happens to you. Coilpacks are known to go bad and cause some issues, which are easily replaced.

One day I will have a 6bt in mine, but until then the V10 will suffice.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
The prices for Diesel Excursions are absolutely insane. Didn't sell well new, and now they're worth giant money? Drinking the Kool Aid

F350joe

All things considered, that one on craigslist is priced very fairly for someone wanting to buy something already built. Axle was swapped to a Dana 60 and that coil conversion provides a noticeably better turning radius. I do not expect that listing to last very long.

For some reference on pricing, I picked up my 2000 V10 4WD for < 3k in great mechanical condition. Mine also has 4.30s and a rear LSD. Interior needs a bit of work and exterior wasn't perfect, both of which I am totally fine with if it saved me some money up front.

As others have said, the only thing keeping most people in a V10 and away from the 7.3 is price. I would have literally had to pay ~4x the cost of mine for a similar one with the 7.3. The V10 is a great powerplant all things considered. You are not going to get the best mileage in them, but that is well known. These engines were used in variants of Ford vehicles for a long, long time. You can still buy a new V10 long block from Ford. It will be for a van application and the biggest problem in putting it into an Excursion you would have is swapping the oil pan. The V10 needs to rev for its power. In my opinion, that biggest known major issue is plugs spitting out of the head, which can be remedied with a timesert if it happens to you. Coilpacks are known to go bad and cause some issues, which are easily replaced.

6bt Ex would be pretty insane! That's why I posted the one, even at asking its a good deal with all those upgrades.

Viggen

Just here...
I haven't understood anyone to say they would prefer a V10 it's the simple fact that you can get a V10 or V8 Excursion sub 200,000 Mi for less than 10 grand when a 7.3 well north of 200,000 is commanding almost $20,000 in my area

I am not too sure what this means. It is odd to buy a V10 over the diesel? The fact that a V10 is half the cost and mileage of a similarly priced 7.3 is hard to understand?

RunninCold

Chris,

Did you have to add any spacers or shims (OME FK-31 or FK-35) to the driveline?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Buddies father has a super clean, one owner, 2001 4wd diesel Excursion with only 84K on the odometer. I hopefully have first dibs on it when he decides to let it go, but I fear he'll want every bit of $30K for it.

We have a dealer in the Houston area that prides himself on finding clean, low mileage Excursions, OBS Ford's and the 1999-2003 Super Duty's. His prices are pretty crazy too! http://www.rbpautomotive.com

I bet they have some good sales now...

I wouldnt swap the 6bt in. Ive seen those trucks done before and theyre never the same. Just rebuild and keep driving. :)

The prices for Diesel Excursions are absolutely insane. Didn't sell well new, and now they're worth giant money? Drinking the Kool Aid

It's all relative. What's worse, paying 25k for a low mile clean diesel excursion with leather heated seats, or paying 40 for a new 4runner with cloth seats? I chose the Ex and built it for less than the 4runner.

OK Chris... how much does it weigh? ;)

So with 44 gallons of fuel and all my tools and compressor the Ex weighs 8980lbs. 4260 on the front axle and 4720 on the rear. Not good, but not terrible haha. Of course it was parked in South Houston during the storm, and I havent heard back on its condition yet... so it could weight a lot more now filled with water.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
So with 44 gallons of fuel and all my tools and compressor the Ex weighs 8980lbs. 4260 on the front axle and 4720 on the rear. Not good, but not terrible haha. Of course it was parked in South Houston during the storm, and I havent heard back on its condition yet... so it could weight a lot more now filled with water.

Dang man hope the X is ok and not covered in water. I'd be very sad if that was the case.

1811SAR

It's too bad folks didn't see the logic back when they were originally marketed by Ford. It's also too bad Ford didn't do a better job of listening to the XCRSN owners back then. Most of the problems associated with Power Stroke (PS) diesels were cooling related failures...an International Harvester problem that Ford and IH went to court about. Everybody knows the suspension systems were softened to satisfy the female side of the equation. Ford never saw them going 300K miles...

Once you have really flushed the coolant system and made the effort to maintain overwatch of it, replaced the H/P oil pump after 150K miles whether it's broken or not, then thanks to Chris for the ARB/OME/RHINO/BATWNG leg work, to share 3/4 T capability/reality, you'll have a vehicle everyone loves to outwardly hate and inwardly wish they's paid attention when they were cheap...

Kaisen is fortunate to have Chevy's best application attempt a 3/4T Sub should have been but his problems are in other areas... How many solid ones are out there? The 8.1 is a strong contender but can the rest of the drive line stand up to the abuses off road?

Get the diesel, spend the money to sort it out, and be ready to play the humility card... Excursion prices are beginning to climb because utility is defined by each individual. How much stuff do you really need to take with you? You'll find it really hard to over-gross an EXCRSN...but you could pull a 10-12K trailer for the overage...:wings:

Supply and demand determines price. Finding the sorted PS is an art form these days. Turn key examples are going to command a price for admission Try One, I dare you...

Thanks again to Chris Cordes as you've lit the fire most won't be able to extinguish my friend... Everyone that come up to me after I've parked mine tells me why they should have never sold their EXCRSN...

Cheers mates,
G

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Excellent writeup on the Falken's Chris. I have long been interested in how they performed, but I was a bit leary due to the lower price and the fact that they aren't really known to be a big player in the off-road tire division like some of the other big names out there. I think they look like a cross between the first Gen BFG KM's with the side lugs and the first Gen Goodyear MTR's. Those were both very good looking tires, but it sounds like the Falken M/T's are more than just looks and budget friendly. My bias's aside, I purchased Cooper STT Pro's for my previous F250 and after 29,00 miles they were still at 15/32, so it appears that these newer tech tires are surely improving in the lifespan department. Considering how much cheaper the Coopers are than Toyo and Goodyear, it was surprising to see how much cheaper the Falken is when compared to the Cooper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles