ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

Elkhntr121

Regarding the hub, the vacuum actuated hubs are often a problem. Typically they leak - I think a question of when, not if. I'd also experienced them to be "sticky" and very hard to turn manually at times. This can also cause the vacuum actuation to fail.

get a set of Warn manual hubs. Premiums if possible - super quick, easy, simple and very effective swap and forgo the vacuum actuation altogether.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Regarding the hub, the vacuum actuated hubs are often a problem. Typically they leak - I think a question of when, not if. I'd also experienced them to be "sticky" and very hard to turn manually at times. This can also cause the vacuum actuation to fail.

get a set of Warn manual hubs. Premiums if possible - super quick, easy, simple and very effective swap and forgo the vacuum actuation altogether.

i second this.. i went with the mile markers but either way.. a def must..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Working away on my '05 and will post a few pics up as soon as I finish up with the lift and get it back on the ground! When I picked this truck up a few weeks ago and was driving home in the dark I felt like the headlights were woefully underpowered compared to what I have been driving - has anyone else noticed this at all? If so is anyone doing any "upgrades" to the lighting? Not looking to blind oncoming traffic or needing welding goggles to drive it, just good decent lighting for regular on road night time driving. Other than that I LOVE the big beast! This thread is definitely inspiration, and it is great to see such a well put together rig!

RPhil

Adventurer
Working away on my '05 and will post a few pics up as soon as I finish up with the lift and get it back on the ground! When I picked this truck up a few weeks ago and was driving home in the dark I felt like the headlights were woefully underpowered compared to what I have been driving - has anyone else noticed this at all? If so is anyone doing any "upgrades" to the lighting? Not looking to blind oncoming traffic or needing welding goggles to drive it, just good decent lighting for regular on road night time driving. Other than that I LOVE the big beast! This thread is definitely inspiration, and it is great to see such a well put together rig!

Perhaps your lenses are a bit worn/foggy. A popular upgrade for the 99-04 is to upgrade to the 05 grill and headlights, which were refreshed in 05. The headlights should actually be better on your 05 compared to the earlier model years. Rockauto and eBay both have headlights for reasonable prices.

I have a 2000 and will be dropping in new 05 Harley Davidson headlights and an 05 grill this week, actually.

If I were you, I would get one of the headlight refresh kits and go to town on your lenses. If that doesn't work, spend a little bit of money for some new headlights to drop in.

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply! That was my first thought as well as I was driving it, but they are crystal clear and actually look showroom new! The truck has 79K miles on it, but it looks like 5k miles - I don't think it ever spend a day outside:Wow1:

I can't figure it out - I am going to have a local guy take a look at it later this week - I have had a few Excursions over the years and none of them have been as bad as this one - my son's stock '95 Bronco has better lights than this thing...

toddz69

Explorer
Thanks for the reply! That was my first thought as well as I was driving it, but they are crystal clear and actually look showroom new! The truck has 79K miles on it, but it looks like 5k miles - I don't think it ever spend a day outside:Wow1:

I can't figure it out - I am going to have a local guy take a look at it later this week - I have had a few Excursions over the years and none of them have been as bad as this one - my son's stock '95 Bronco has better lights than this thing...

My '01 Super Duty lenses got foggy so I replaced them with some from a later model truck (03 or 04?) that didn't have as any flutes in them. Helped a little but they're still pretty weak.

I imagine a set of relays would help a lot but I haven't been motivated enough to look for a kit.

Todd Z.

chet6.7

Explorer
Sort of haha.

So after looking at the photos from the beach more closely and thinking back to how the truck felt on the sand I was concerned about the four-wheel drive system. Thankfully I checked it before my big trip next week, because it turns out the autolockers weren't working and I had been using it in 2wd haha. Anyway dropped it off at PSP diesel in Houston for repairs and some updates as well :) Dual swing outs are going on...

View attachment 395101
Are they on yet?

zj96sc

Are they ford branded headlight housings? A lot of knockoff replacement housings have terrible reflector performance - i bought cheap TYC housings for my '02 and the performance is worse than my fogged OEM housings.

tremec

Went to local state park and had some fun finding a "comfortable" spot to park. Adding the Warn 16ti-S winch I just ordered from the garage since I added the bumper first in November. Then putting on a lift lockers and 42 inch tires.17879902_837245949813875_7875905777648551976_o.jpg

F350joe

Hubs on this vintage trucks

So I drove into a White Pockets, Utah in 2wd thinking I was in 4wd. Didn't have an issue until trying to leave a few days later going up a sandy hill, locked the hubs manually after realizing they were not engaged.

Can this system ever be reliable? Any reason to swap out to aftermarket hubs if not using the vacuum system?

RPhil

Adventurer
Chris, looking great. I am very jealous. Any updates for the interior platform?

So I drove into a White Pockets, Utah in 2wd thinking I was in 4wd. Didn't have an issue until trying to leave a few days later going up a sandy hill, locked the hubs manually after realizing they were not engaged.

Can this system ever be reliable? Any reason to swap out to aftermarket hubs if not using the vacuum system?

From what I understand, they are pretty reliable if cared for properly over the life of the vehicle. That being said, just get aftermarket. They are cheap and reliable. They also eliminate a potential failure mode in the vacuum system actuation. Only reason to stick with OEM is if you can't be bothered to get out of your truck and manually lock them yourself. I went with Mile Marker but you can't go wrong with Warn, either.

Last edited:

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So ive heard some negative things about the aftermarket units as well. I had the same issue with running in two wheel drive until I checked the hubs. it caused me to get stuck on the beach :/ Anyway i just manually lock them now. Not a big deal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz