ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Just getting ready to start on an '05 Excursion and LOVE this! I am planning on going with the OME suspension as well - what size lift is this? Please keep the pictures and reports coming - this is excellent!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Just getting ready to start on an '05 Excursion and LOVE this! I am planning on going with the OME suspension as well - what size lift is this? Please keep the pictures and reports coming - this is excellent!

Its their f250 2.5". Make sure to buy an add a leaf as the excursion is much heavier in the rear and has the fuel tank farther aft.

Also be sure to buy the bar pins ahead of time. Theyre super cheap but the kit doesnt come with them :)

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice! Ordering it up tomorrow - did you have to do anything up front for the weight of the ARB bumper and winch? Going for the same setup there as well - love how sorted your truck looks!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thanks so much for the quick reply and advice! Ordering it up tomorrow - did you have to do anything up front for the weight of the ARB bumper and winch? Going for the same setup there as well - love how sorted your truck looks!

Nope the front was perfect since it is the same basic setup as the f250. One thing though, you'll probably want to purchase extended sway bar end links. Some guys dont but the total change from stock is roughly 4 to 4.5" from this kit which is too much for stock end links. You can find some f250 throw away end links or purchase an aftermarket set. I bought some from zone off-road and they've worked well so far. Honestly I ran it without the sway bar at first and it was fine, but I ended up putting them on to keep the truck level. Unless yours is perfectly balanced side to side, removing all sway bars with lead it to a lean in one direction or the other.

Here are the ones I used
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/su...sconnects-drop/zonf5201.html?make=14&c=43&i=0

Bullsnake

Adventurer
Thanks again Chris! I will order the sway bar drops as well - I appreciate the heads up and it is nice to have a fairly complete parts list together so I don't have it waiting on the lift once we tear in to it. I think I read somewhere the ARB is the F250 front bumper as well that just needs some tabs trimmed or changed to fit - is that correct?

DEFINITELY excited about it - I have a family of five and we haul everything from a Huckwagon to a toy hauler with dirt bikes and the Excursion should cover so many bases for us. The 6.0 has always had me a little worried as well, but the truck I purchased was a one owner with only 70K miles on it and ZERO towing done with it (That'll change!). Going to have the EGR delete done as well as "Bullet Proofing" right away. I am ordering the parts while it is at the shop so as soon as it gets back it's game on. Keep the pictures coming - love seeing that rig in the wild!

RPhil

Adventurer
What PSI were you at when you got stuck? This past fall I ventured out on the beach alone and was a bit nervous. So much so that I actually bought some traction mats just in case. I aired down to 18 PSI and had no issues at all.

Looking forward to more updates.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thanks again Chris! I will order the sway bar drops as well - I appreciate the heads up and it is nice to have a fairly complete parts list together so I don't have it waiting on the lift once we tear in to it. I think I read somewhere the ARB is the F250 front bumper as well that just needs some tabs trimmed or changed to fit - is that correct?

DEFINITELY excited about it - I have a family of five and we haul everything from a Huckwagon to a toy hauler with dirt bikes and the Excursion should cover so many bases for us. The 6.0 has always had me a little worried as well, but the truck I purchased was a one owner with only 70K miles on it and ZERO towing done with it (That'll change!). Going to have the EGR delete done as well as "Bullet Proofing" right away. I am ordering the parts while it is at the shop so as soon as it gets back it's game on. Keep the pictures coming - love seeing that rig in the wild!

So I didn't need to modify anything but it was certainly snug. The only thing I can think that may have required trimming were the weird brackets dropping down outside the tow hooks on either side. They mounted to the bumper and were frickin welded on. The metal strap would usually go straight past them but they were in the way. We just bend the strap and hit it with an impact gun. Seems fine so far.

You'll love the truck. Im so happy with it. And the 6.0 will have way more power than mine. Who is doing your bulletproofing?

Also do you plan to run airbags for towing? I havent decided if Im keeping mine after I add the leaf. I dont tow heavy trailers really and if the extra leaf solves the weight of my new dual swingouts then ill probably ditch the bags for practically nothing if you want them. They're the firestones with spacers and the daystar cup to avoid limiting travel.

What PSI were you at when you got stuck? This past fall I ventured out on the beach alone and was a bit nervous. So much so that I actually bought some traction mats just in case. I aired down to 18 PSI and had no issues at all.

Looking forward to more updates.

I was running like 35 or so. I could have aired down WAY more but didnt feel the need. Went through all kinds of soft stuff with that trailer for two days and then hit one hole with the rear wheel and it was over lol. I mostly had him spin to get photos :)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So it's 1 am here and I need a break from writing, so I figured I would post an update. First a photo

Second, and more importantly, I received a picture of my bumper before powder coat! Im so pumped to get this thing in. Buckstop said it might ship monday so Im crossing my fingers.

Third, since my bumper is coming soon it is time to wrap up my kitchen box. This will be mounted on the second swing out next to the spare, and based inside a massive, shiny, gorgeous Alubox 120 lol.
I chose the alubox over a pelican or similar because Texas / AZ sun is brutal on plastic. Ive seen too many people buy those sorts of cases only to have them fade or break in time. Having already beat the crud out of another alubox without any leaks or issues, I felt it was the only way to go. Plus... its going to look awesome ;)

So here's my plan. I wanted to use a trek pak style organizer to keep things neat, but they didn't have any in the depth I needed. Their stuff also costs an arm and a leg, so I decided to make some myself.
Purchased materials:
- 5 sheets black corrugated plastic from home depot
- Corrugated plastic cutter
- new razor blades

Ill post more details and pictures tomorrow when I continue cutting. The biggest problem I have will be finding a longer replacement for the pins Trek pak sells, another thing I hope to clarify with photos tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94