ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

Steve@316

Excursion Overland
Looks great!
What lift did you end up going with? Brand, height, Rear? (block?) shocks. Hows the ride so far?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Looks great!
What lift did you end up going with? Brand, height, Rear? (block?) shocks. Hows the ride so far?

It's Old Man Emu's full kit for the f-250, shocks springs and pan hard rod. Everything bolts on perfectly and theoretically it should be 2.5 up from f250 springs so 4.5 from Excursion springs but it feels like more haha. The only thing that was different was the f250 uses through bolts on the top of the shocks in the rear. the excursion uses bar pins. That's okay though, as you can remove and polish the ones from your old shocks to work.

Ride is phenomenal compared to before. I removed the sway bars until I get longer end links, but it still drives really well.

Crewcab

Oh yeah, I forgot the absolute most important modification for the Excursion. You MUST NOT continue until you have done this...

Rear fold down table!!

80-image_b9d8dbde65561468f105e309a3d4b987ef271a02.jpg

80-image_31e33806bc0e49a23d2ad7c473aa22c7b9a197fb.jpg
How well does that last one the fiberglass doors?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Hey everyone! So I apologize for being so sporadic here. We returned from our trip and I immediately left to complete another, and then got engaged to my girlfriend and left to celebrate. Whirlwind haha. Anyway here's what has been going on with the Excursion!

1. We installed the ARB bumper, marker lamps, and Warn 16.5 winch! I couldn't be more excited about this combo. I've been a lifetime ARB fan since one of their bumpers saved my butt in an animal strike and later when some crazed lady hit me head on. The f-250 model had a little different fit on the excursion thanks to some welded brackets in the front, but nothing that took more than five minutes to remedy.

I'll be honest, I hadn't felt the need to run a winch since my H3T. In most situations a set of maxtrax worked just as well if not better, and it's rare for me to travel solo. The Excursion however posed a problem. Obviously it is huge, so recovery is pretty much a do it yourself scenario unless another full size vehicle, or tow truck is around. Since we plan to do longer solo trips this next year, Warn's 16.5 seemed like the best option. It can take synthetic line and more importantly, it's the bigger badder cousin to the first winch I purchased, so I have some trust in it. So far we've only installed the beast, but I look forward to testing it.

2. We removed the old cross bars and paid a visit to rhino rack in denver. The ability for us to sleep inside or carry multiple people depends entirely on our ability to store equipment on the roof, and after a lot of research we chose Rhino Rack's Pioneer Platform with two bike racks and a maxtrax mount. We've only had this on for a day, so right now I can only say it is quiet and stable. No detailed pictures yet, but Ill have the install shots up this week. Until then a picture of Luke from Rhino Rack prepping the Excursion (lift and 35s making it a tad hard to reach)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Excellent. By "in the works", I assume it's a custom one to your specs? I don't recall, are you having some sliders/protection made for this as well?

Merry Christmas!
Sliders are on the long list for sure. And Buckstop makes bumpers to spec for each customer. You choose from the colors and the options they have available and they create it. I'll be doing dual swing outs with a spare tire carrier and storage box

bigskypylot

Explorer
Sliders are on the long list for sure. And Buckstop makes bumpers to spec for each customer. You choose from the colors and the options they have available and they create it. I'll be doing dual swing outs with a spare tire carrier and storage box

Very nice. I wasn't sure if they just had a set amount of designs after looking at heir front models. If I do a full size build on my next rig, I'm gonna try to find someone to do my front like the SHROCKWORKS one on my Xterra with the prerunner hoop. Love that style. It seems to me that a lot of the Full size ones are too big and blocky

Steve@316

Excursion Overland
Merry Christmas!
The new additions look great! ARB & Warn are a "top of the line" choice for sure. Interested in the Rhino Rack's Pioneer Platform. I'll be needing a "low-profile" roof rack as well,.. Look forward to the install shots and feedback.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Chris this thing looks awesome now! Can't wait to see the "finished" product, I love how badas$ excursions are, I wonder how the interior dimensions differ from a suburban, my current long runner.

Im interested to see what you do with the interior build, any updates? Currently working on ideas for mine.

St1

I picked up a fully rhino lined Excursion about 6 months ago to replace my 96 suburban. The excursion feels cavernous compared to the burb. I was really surprised by how much bigger the excursion feels compared to the burb. Even with the second row seats in position there is plenty of bed room to lay down in the back. FInally sold the burb last week after 11 quality years. THe ex definitely drives bigger also, takes a little getting used to. THe ex makes 35s look small, ha ha.

I looked for a good inexpensive Ex for about a year before finding mine. I have been reading expedition portal for around a year also and followed the exploring NH build. Good to see there are many people building out the KING of SUVs.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I picked up a fully rhino lined Excursion about 6 months ago to replace my 96 suburban. The excursion feels cavernous compared to the burb. I was really surprised by how much bigger the excursion feels compared to the burb. Even with the second row seats in position there is plenty of bed room to lay down in the back. FInally sold the burb last week after 11 quality years. THe ex definitely drives bigger also, takes a little getting used to. THe ex makes 35s look small, ha ha.

I looked for a good inexpensive Ex for about a year before finding mine. I have been reading expedition portal for around a year also and followed the exploring NH build. Good to see there are many people building out the KING of SUVs.

Let's see her!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles