Expoordition 2011 Thread

cbradley

Adventurer
"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul." ~Moshe Dayan

This post marks the beginning of something I have been after for quite awhile, real freedom. Those that may have seen my contest entry know that I have been living life "imprisoned" in an office cubicle for a number of years. As a kid, I once had big dreams of adventure, but somewhere between high school and career those dreams were replaced by much less satisfying desires. Following these latter desires resulted in me shackled to a computer desk for most of my waking hours. The Expoordition will be my taste of freedom. The trip itself may be short in duration, but my hope is that it will be a springboard into a bigger change.

I. Background and Goals
For those not familiar with the concept of the Expoordition, it is a trip intended to demonstrate that overlanding and its attendant adventure, exploration and escape is possible on both a tight budget and limited time frame. Though the expensive vehicles and gear are often lust-worthy and make such travel easier or more comfortable, they aren't necessary and sometimes become the priority over the travel itself. The Expoordition focuses on travel over truck.

The Expoordition started two years ago when Nathan (Alpine Hoo Ha) set out on a multi-week adventure in his '95 4Runner and a budget of only $21 per day. The resulting travel and prep thread ended up with nearly 33,000 views as much of the community cheered him on and eagerly awaited updates from the road.

Given the wide appeal of the original Expoordition, Expeditions West decided to sponsor another one. Through what can only be some kind of divine intervention, I was selected for this year's sponsorship.
:wings:

This thread will record the trip and vehicle prep, the adventure itself and hopefully a great deal of discussion and advice from the ExPo community. I'll be the first to admit that I'm still pretty green when it comes to overlanding and can use all the input I can get.

Both out of necessity and in the spirit of the trip, I plan on doing all my preps in true Expoordition style: on the cheap. My motto for this trip is going to be "beg, borrow and steal." Well, not really that last part, but I do want to make this an experiment in prepping well, but on the cheap. That will mean buying stuff used, borrowing or renting gear, and maybe some DIY solutions. Any ideas off the bat would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting a summary of my vehicle and gear in the coming days and hopefully can get a good discussion going on where I ought to go from here.

Last edited:

cbradley

Adventurer
II. Trip Details
The Expoordition will in Yuma and proceed up the Arizona Traverse through Prescott and then up to the south entrance of the Grand Canyon. The trip will conclude at the Hollister Overland Rally, where hopefully we will have plenty of stories of adventure to share.
More details to follow as I learn/figure them out.
DRAFT ROUTE
This is a very early draft of the big picture loop we are considering, time willing. The points themselves are correct, but the path from Yuma to the Grand Canyon does not reflect the Arizona Traverse. http://g.co/maps/tbjj

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
One fun way you can save money is to post your trip dates and possible camp locations....let some of the find Arizona folks join you for a night here & there and let them cook up some fine camp grub for which you get to enjoy but not have bought :)
I would be happy to make that happen if the dates & locations match up to work/life.

cbradley

Adventurer
One fun way you can save money is to post your trip dates and possible camp locations....let some of the fine Arizona folks join you for a night here & there.

Sounds like a plan to me! I'll post the itinerary once it gets worked out.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
II. Trip Details
The Expoordition will in Yuma and proceed up the Arizona Traverse through Prescott and then up to the south entrance of the Grand Canyon. The trip will conclude at the Hollister Overland Rally, where hopefully we will have plenty of stories of adventure to share.

More details to follow as I learn/figure them out.

Congrats on being selected for this Chris, this is going to be great!

See you at Hollister!

cbradley

Adventurer
So cool.

Chris, what is per-day the budget?

Not including the gas to get there and back, I'm figuring about $32.50 per day, which will need to include food for two people, gas on the trail and incidentals. When I get to planning the budget in detail, I'll post what I have come up with.

cbradley

Adventurer
III. The Rig
I'll be piloting my daily driver, a 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport V6 on the trip. Modifications thus far have been modest and most were done in the spirit of the Expoordition: frugally with an eye towards the effects on gas mileage. Instead of simply listing the things I've done so far, I figured I would offer my two cents on them since I've developed some opinions on several of the mods.
Suspension: Icon Stage 1
The suspension is the one place I splurged, and represents most of the cost for improvements thus far. After reading far too many reviews and thus wasting many months stuck with stock suspension, I chose the simplest setup from Icon Vehicle Dynamics. Though I had gotten very close to buying the OME system, I ultimately was glad to have spent a bit of a premium on the Icons.
The front coil-overs in particular have far exceeded my expectations. I have spent a bit of time "testing" them at 65 mph in the washes on the west side of the Mojave Road and they have more than returned my investment in pure fun. I'll admit to liking the aesthetics of them as well.
While the rear shocks have been otherwise great, it is on such higher speed adventures that the rear shocks have let me down a little. While the front suspension has soaked up jolts that were frankly stupid to have put the vehicle through, the rear of the vehicle has tended to bounce up like a pogo stick. I haven't totally figured out the cause, but my guess is that I'm overheating the shocks. Perhaps someday I'll move up to the larger Icon shock in the rear.
Upper Control Arms: Total Chaos
As with many vehicles, as soon as you do a suspension lift on the 4Runner, you start having problems getting the alignment back into spec, as well as running into clearance issues with even slightly wider tires. Though I had lusted after those beautiful, aluminum billet Icon control arms, I ended up going with the significantly cheaper Total Chaos alternatives. From a functional stand point, they have worked fine, but truth be told, I hate them. They squeak. A lot. Embarrassingly so, and loudly. I have yet to find the magic grease that will shut them up, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will eventually figure it out.
Sliders: White Knuckle
The White Knuckles are pretty much anything you could ask for in a slider: strong, have a great fit and finish, are relatively cheap and are made locally (to me anyway) in Southern California by one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I've abused them pretty well so far and they've taken it without any issue. There really isn't much more to expect from a slider. Some people won't like the kickouts (I didn't initially), but they've been helpful on a couple occasions and probably saved me chewing up my rear wheel at one point.
Tires: 285/70/17 BFG KM2s
I love these tires; they work. They've worked well on rock, sand, snow and pavement. I have 60k miles on the current set and they just now are getting to worn down to continue on. My only complaint is that they are heavy at 59 lbs a piece. I'm pretty sure I know where most of those roughly 3 miles per gallon went when I left OEM land. Since they will need to be replaced long before the trip, my current plan is to stick with the KM2s, but go with a narrower 255/80/17. It's a few pounds lighter and will allow me to get a bit of my stock turning radius back, not to mention providing enough room for chains should I need them.
Communications: Cobra (not Wilson per original post) 75 WXST CB / Firestik Antenna / Diamond Lip Mount, iPhone
The Wilson is small and fits under my seat and is totally out of the way when I'm not on the trail. It works as well as any other CB, which is to say, sometimes, under ideal conditions, when Venus is in retrograde, I am wearing metal sunglasses, I've recently brushed my teeth with Crest Whitening Toothpaste (TM) and parted my hair on the left, I can hear what someone is saying in the vehicle 20 feet away. Gotta love CB...
Other
I have a rear differential breather extension I picked up used on another forum sitting in the garage waiting to be installed when I eventually get around to it. Other than an iPod connection (USA Spec) and the brighter Sylvania headlight bulbs, that is really all that I have done so far.
I'm interested in what other items people, especially those familiar with the Arizona Traverse, think I need to modify before the trip.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That CB is a Cobra. The antenna is a Firestik.

Suggestions:
1. Decent tiedowns
2. Remove one rear seat, build platform
3. Add 12V outlets, maybe hardmount an inverter and 110v outlet for recharging a laptop and camera batteries.
4. Optimize cargo load, either with physical drawers or well fitted containers.
5. Water storage of some sort.
6. Recovery points up front. What do you have from Mr. Toyoda?
7. Spare tire carrying options?
8. Spare fuel carry options?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I read elsewhere that Scott doesn't use his iPad anymore. Maybe we can borrow it and use it for preloaded maps and stuff? Can a GPS antenna be connected to an iPad? Don't you have a GPS antenna for that mapping experiment/project you started a while ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior