Expo WK

KSJeep

Explorer
Not knocking my TJ for off road travel, it's been great for short adventures. However.......after our first long off road trip and feeling like we had just been beat to death (either that or were just getting old...er) We decided a little more comfort was in order. The wife 05 Grand has just been waiting to take over duty, so she is becoming our new expo/adventure vehicle. First mod was new shoes (needed them anyway) decided to give the Wal Mart/Goodyear Wrangler ATs a try. Didnt want to go any wider so just went taller (gained 1" in clearance) with no problems so far, 245/75/17s. Of course the usual lift, skids, and roof rack will be in order, but all in good time.

So here she is with her new shoes. I know the WK may not be perfect, but shes ours.

2758268190054084051S600x600Q85.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Nice, think I'll be going with the 2" lift, after that it pricing just gets out of hand.
2" worked very well on my Commander, which has the same suspension as the WK.

Reading your case study however, I think you would be ready for a JK Unlimited. Comfort-wise drives like a WJ (and my Commander did not ride any better than my WJ), but it's a "real" Jeep :eek: :D

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
The one I rode with in Bandelier had no low range t-case and struggled significantly with the altitude change at Sandia. Be very careful adding weight... you will make it hard to go uphill!

KSJeep

Explorer
The one I rode with in Bandelier had no low range t-case and struggled significantly with the altitude change at Sandia. Be very careful adding weight... you will make it hard to go uphill!

Ours does have the low range along with elec auto lockers front and rear. A JK would be nice, but we allready own this one and not really in a position to trade her in.

I've been eyeballing a WK for future mild expo duties. The 2" lift is all I would do also (due to cost factor). I don't know how they handle over the rough stuff, but I imagine with the V8, eLSD's, a short lift & some nice AT's, things would be looking really good behind that windshield.

Enjoy :sombrero:

bugman

I know you like the Grand but if you want to expand and grow in your expedition ventures then I would consider the TJ Unlimited. There are MANY more parts and upgrades to suit your specific needs with the TJ. The longer wheelbase will dramatically improve your ride over the short wheelbase and will also be able to handle more weight. You need to look at where you'll be in a year or two after spending the money on your Grand, which will ride smooth but be far less capable for the trail, as opposed to spending the money on the Unlimited and have the comfortable ride as well as trail capability. Whatever you decide, don't be hasty in your decision. Look at where you want to go and the end result.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the WK.

He's got the good 4x4 system with the ELSD.

Put some skid plates on it.

Lift it a bit with spacers or equivalent.

Drive the wheels off it.

Be happy.

KSJeep

Explorer
As for the future, the WK will take us everywhere we want to go and then some. One issue Iwe have not addressed here is our future plan of full time RVing with a well set up trailer (ie: Every Miles A Memorys set-up) This plan has been in the works for some time now and the WKs towing capacity fits the bill just right. Were not looking for an overbuilt rig, just a mildly built rig to get us in and around the backcountry plus double as our tow vehicle.

Viggen

Just here...
I like it. I often think about a diesel powered WK for extended camping/ mild off road duties. Something like what you are describing would fit the bill. There are a lot of overbuilt rigs out there that wont see anything remotely close to what you will be doing out there. Build it for what you plan on using it for. If youre not planning on serious off roading with a lot of rocks and such, then theres nothing wrong with your WK. I like them a lot and everything that I have read about the Quadratrac system sounds very good to me. Build it for what you plan on doing and get out there and use it. In my opinion, the best vehicle is the one you own. Keep updating what youve done to it. I for one will be watching

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior