Expo Trailer Build flatbed, rooftop tent, teardrop style kitchen box on back

bluebruin

Adventurer
Looks great.

Question re the tents being the first point of contact in a tight turn. Why is the RTT on the JK so far back? I'm sure there's a reason, but moving that forward would resolve that.

yes! that's true. see back further in this thread. They are the first point of contact, so I built a stout rack on the front of the trailer, with a rubber bumper, that is now the first point of contact since it hits my rear steel bumper. Reason for the jeep RTT being so far back, is that I enjoy driving the jeep with the front freedom top panels removed. So, I don't want a big RTT blocking the view. In its current position I still can take the panels on and off and have the front fully open. My Gobi rack has a large "hole" in that area for the same reason. Its a bummer not to be able to take the whole hardtop off and enjoy going totally topless, but can't have it all I guess. Besides, with a 2 and 5 year old, they don't like all that wind and get cold easily. So, its probably best to have the rear portion of the hardtop stay on anyway.

When the trailer is in full jack knife, it makes contact with the the jeep RTT really far foward actually. So, I am not even sure I could move the jeep RTT far enough forward to eliminate the problem entirely even if I tried.

bluebruin

Adventurer
I thought I saw a different trailer. I live up by Maxwell Falls and I have been checking out your old trailer for a while.

The build looks great. The drawers and details are great. I am guessing this rain will give it a good test.

hello neighbor!
yes - had it out in full downpour for a few hours the other day. No leaks. yippee! But, just to be safe, I am keeping a tarp over it now. Want to make this one last if it works as well for camping as we are hoping it will.

The other trailer is for sale now. stop by and see it sometime. There are a couple minor things it needs to be "fully functional" but its a good trailer in many respects. Even if someone didn't want to use the camper top, you could easily remove it and have a bad-***** M416.

Bluebruin,

I am wondering what a shop like the one you work at charges for such CNC work… I want to build a drawer system.

If one was to deliver a SketchUp file, do you guys provide the lumber and cuts? How does pricing work, or do you guys even do such projects?

Thanks for the feedback!

Again, nice build!

bluebruin

Adventurer
hi brandon! well, I actually am an engineer and designer of preschool toys. I also organize and oversee all of the manufacturing, including our contract manufacturers. I am sure that I could help you with your request. Let me PM you.

bluebruin

Adventurer
nearing completion

Made some final touches today.

Put sheets into the RTT's. Full size fitted sheets work well.
Screwed on some levels to help us make sure we are not sleeping on an incline. My five year old like them :)
20150516_085706.jpg

Put on a bottle opener. Decided on the outside so I have easy access. That way I can crack open a cold one while setting up camp :)
20150516_090903.jpg

My water tank is removeable, in case it needs cleaning or is damaged. It has a union type pvc joint underneath it to disconnect from the fixed pvc piping leading to the faucet.
20150516_090918.jpg

I don't have a hose connection at my house (dont' ask. houses are odd up in the mountains). If I did, I would just use a hose to fill the tank. But what if you are on the road and are out of water with no hose? I have a separate 5 gal jerry can I can take into a gas station and fill up. Then, you bring that out to the trailer and fill up the water tank.
But, to make filling the tank easier while its installed, I put on a pvc pipe connected to some vinyl tubing. It stays in place, here
20150516_085644.jpg

Then you pop on some pVC pipe with a funnel I screwed onto it, and stick the vinyl tube into the tank.
20150516_090147.jpg

Nothing but gravity pressure. Makes a really forceful stream of water at the faucet! Should me great for doing dishes.
20150516_091032.jpg

Here is another look at that little storage thing I built and put behind the stove. I needed somewhere to put our griddle, cutting boards, and a step stool. But, so it doesn't bounce around, it needs to be fixed. But, then you can't the stuff out of it since it would hit the underside of the upper storage. So, I put it on hinges. And made a little latch using an angle bracket and a spring actuated pull pin.
20150516_091003.jpg

20150516_091020.jpg

Last project to finish is some storage inside the RTT's. I am too tall to sleep with a bag of clothes at my feet. So, I am building some hanging shelfs. They are just going to be a plank of wood, handing from webbing straps. So, when you collapse the tent, the shelf will just sit on the mattress, and the straps will decend with the roof if that makes sense. I will be hanging it from these d-rings.
20150516_125207.jpg

I also plan to mount a tray onto the shelf to hold shoes. That's always a problem getting in/out of a RTT. where to put your dirty, wet, or muddy shoes!

bluebruin

Adventurer
hi dan
yeah, still have it. Been working on a few things that needed fixing including painting the top black. I'll send you PM and pretty soon I'll posting a proper for sale thread. thanks

bluebruin

Adventurer
Made our first trip with the new setup. Been raining in Colorado for nearly 6 weeks every day, overcast all day. No fun for camping, but we needed to get out and do something. We checked the weather all over Colorado, Salida was the only place showing a high above 60deg and sunny, besides far western slope. So, we went for it. We checked out an area around O'haver Lake, near Poncha Springs Pass. Found a nice spot in national forest not too far up. Rained and snowed on and off, but sunny some too. Was pretty cold at night, I am guessing right around 30-32 degrees. But our RTT's were pretty warm and we survived. Overall very successful first outing. Just a few small details to fix.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

This is O'haver Lake. Has nice pay spots if that's your thing.
IMG_2361B.jpg

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

Came home early to avoid traffic and today I installed some shelves I made. They hang from straps inside the RTT's. So, when you collapse the tent, the plank just sits on top of the mattress. These will hold our bags. And there is a tray for wet/muddy shoes.
20150525_095522.jpg

20150525_095512.jpg

bluebruin

Adventurer
update

used the trailer again this weekend. 230 mile road trip, performed flawlessly. Went on some pretty tough 4x4 trails and worked great. Some photos

AoOjwDVJYZ-4gKHI5VtdF-zQXe9SL_LX6PvUTXufxxjK=w1396-h785-no

F5vH9vX2pyk7DIOO8T-46iFogkNrkEKwpO2B_vkqWNrN=w1396-h785-no

fTSPhyqqeZ_hWLZq9Enfj0tzOZ2vcjtDYOOV5R3Sujp8=w1396-h785-no

Things I have to add or change:
- quick release mounts for ladders
- lighter holster inside kitchen box for quick access
- better sink plug. sand and dirt are drifting up into the sink on the dirt roads
- drain water tank between uses to prevent algae or mold growth
- Shelves might be wearing on inside of tent walls when collapsed for transport. Might need foam or something added on shelf edges to prevent wear

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne