Expo Suburban/Tahoe thread

fnjeep314

Observer
I have been looking at doing either a Suburban or Tahoe as an expo rig. I was hoping that I could see what's out there and get some ideas. Plus I figured that it would help others to see what others are doing with their Suburbans and Tahoes.

TKSC01

Adventurer
UGh this SO hits home!

I am in the middle of a Bronco build right now, and I have a baby coming in May....I am thinking about a Suburban becasue I dont think another Bronco in the family is a great idea. UGH! I would like to see were this thread goes.

jturkey69

Observer
subscribing for sure...we have 6 kids, and while not all of them would go on a trip, we have to have the room in case.lol. I am currently looking to trade our muscle car project for a excursion (had one before..miss it dearly) or trade off my mild modded LT1 caprice wagon for an old straight axle suburban, or I might consider a newer style up to 97. I have owned a couple of 89-91 suburbans, and only after getting rid of them, and my beloved excursion did I stumble across this site, and a year ago ran across the monster black suburban with 46" tires...lol

fnjeep314

Observer
TKSC01- I too have a baby coming in May. Number 1 for me, but we also have 2 75lbs dogs too, so I need the extra space for us all.

HenryJ- Nice looking Avalanche!

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
ive got a tahoe semi set up: leveled, xd enduros, bfg 287 r 17 km2, hella black majic 1000 ralleya lights, n-fab light bar

DSC_0222-2.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

1009001551.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

Little Red

Adventurer
Suburban as an expedition rig

Buy an 89 to 91 suburban, they have the best of both worlds and are cheap to get. The old body style is easy and cheap to get parts for. They are new enough to have EFI and old enough to still have solid axles. Or even better get a diesel suburban.

I have had 2 suburbans and they are strong and reliable trucks, although a Ford excursion with the 7.3L power stroke diesel would be nice too or a Ford Centurion (4 door bronco) or even better a 4 door ramcharger / ramburban with a Cummins! Well I am just dreaming now but here is a picture of my suburban, (still being built to be an expedition truck and far from finished)

Copyof2011_0213.jpg

Good luck

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
just a set of 255/85 KM2s, and the favorite of the stable, '83 Suburban w/ 48k on the clock, factory did the rest, 2500 4x4 350 carb w/ 700R4- strong comfortable and cheap to keep...

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    383.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 173

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
What leveling links did you use? Did you do it yourself or have it done?

i used ready lift 1.5 inch, i do not recommend it, not that the parts are bad, there great. I just wish that I had the 2.5 inch done. I was unaware at the time that there was a 2.5 available. Now if you are trying to fit some bigger "street" wheels and tires, then the ready lift 1.5 is what you want. I did not do it my self, i had a local shop do it for me.

fnjeep314

Observer
I am really liking the older solid axle Suburbans, but i like the interior of the newer 95+. How good are the IFS Suburbans and Tahoes? My concern is breaking or bending one of the torsion bars. Anyone have any issues with that?

People have been off-roading the ifs's for a long time, with few problems. I

have a 99 half ton suburban and love it. One of the best forest/fire service road

trucks we have ever had. 165k and NO problems at all. I dont do anything real

crazy, lots of dirt roads and easier trails. Torsion bars cranked a little and add a

leaf in the rear. Plenty of room for the 32 10.50's that I have on it now. Great trucks
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier