Expo LJR Update

LJRubiReal

TheRealDeal124
Good Evening everyone, thought I'd post an update as to how my jeep build is going. Next on the build is a regear from my factory Automatic transmission 4.10 gears to 5.13s to get my LJ back into the power and efficiency band I had before modifying everything. Then I will upgrade the control arms from factory to Rokmens with JJs. After that I will upgrade my steering to Curries Currectlyncs system. After that comes upgraded heavy duty brakes from Vanco. This is just to get the jeep as close to factory performance as possible while having a really capable vehicle. I'm debating a snorkel or not, since I know the doors will be harder to take off if I install it. Thanks for reading everyone!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
I have a built LJ too, installed an Atlas II and Currie front HP Dana 44 this past summer; ARBs in both axles. With the propensity to have frame rust in these vehicles, I’d skip the deeper water crossings. Living in the Midwest now after six years of living in Arizona and lots of ‘dry’ wheeling, now I’m facing more mud on trails and water. Jeep won’t be happy about that!

LJRubiReal

TheRealDeal124
I have a built LJ too, installed an Atlas II and Currie front HP Dana 44 this past summer; ARBs in both axles. With the propensity to have frame rust in these vehicles, I’d skip the deeper water crossings. Living in the Midwest now after six years of living in Arizona and lots of ‘dry’ wheeling, now I’m facing more mud on trails and water. Jeep won’t be happy about that!
The jeep hasnt crossed deep water, I want the snorkel for more engine longevity and cleaner and cooler air. Shes rust free and I'd like to keep her that way haha.

LJRubiReal

TheRealDeal124
Hello everyone! The LJ is currently being regeared by a friend of mine who also installed my air compressor and Genright Safari Gas tank. So far this year I've had to replace the O2 Sensors. Exhaust manifold is cracked and needs to be replaced as well as my entire exhaust. Transmission cooler is waiting to be installed as well. The gears I went with are 5.13s

Hristo34

Sounds like a good build. My LJ suspension and steering is Currie too, you won't be disappointed. I have 4.56 gears, but it's a manual. I sometimes wish I'd gone with the safari tank but couldn't justify the cost. Got any pics?

LJRubiReal

TheRealDeal124
I love the Safari tank! My favorite modification besides the ARB Twin Air Compressor. Once I get the regear done I should be able to get 450-500 miles out of a full tank of fuel. Now with 35s and the 4.10 gears I get 320 miles out of a full tank.

Hristo34

The safari tank is a great add on. I decided to go with the Titan Trekker tank though due cost, and the ability to lose the weight when not in use. It gives me an extra 200km in range, but I only use it while on longer camping trips. I think the LJ is a great expo platform, yours looks awesome!

LJRubiReal

TheRealDeal124
I believe when I purchased the Safari tank it was $1500, now its $2000!! I've camped with the LJ once and I loved it. This year I've been repairing wearing bits here and there. She no longer sees daily duty so I'm able to slow the mileage and wear down to the weekends only. Exhaust Manifold is next, then getting my half doors painted to match. I appreciate the kind words!

pittsburgh

tacocat
@LJRubiReal what size tires have you run with 4:10 gears? I have an Unlimited Sport with 3:73 and the auto and I want to run 33's, but even on just 31's it feels so underpowered.

LJRubiReal

TheRealDeal124
@LJRubiReal what size tires have you run with 4:10 gears? I have an Unlimited Sport with 3:73 and the auto and I want to run 33's, but even on just 31's it feels so underpowered.
I had 315/75R16 KO2s, it lugged bad on the highway. It comes from the factory underpowered if it has the 42RLE Automatic transmission. 4.88s shouldve been the factory gearing since the OD of that transmission is .69.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Next on the build is a regear from my factory Automatic transmission 4.10 gears to 5.13s to get my LJ back into the power and efficiency band I had before modifying everything. Then I will upgrade the control arms from factory to Rokmens with JJs. After that I will upgrade my steering to Curries Currectlyncs system. After that comes upgraded heavy duty brakes from Vanco. This is just to get the jeep as close to factory performance as possible while having a really capable vehicle.

I am NOT a Jeep guy and as such do not know a lot about the new Jeeps, their capabilities and performance so don't flame me for trying to learn from these observations and questions:

It sure seems to me that you have spent a Hell of a lot of money, time and effort just "To get the jeep as close to factory performance as possible".

Your words.

Therefore my questions:

Why spend all that time, money and effort just to get back to where you started from when stock?

What am I missing here?

Bullseye240

Adventurer
Therefore my questions:

Why spend all that time, money and effort just to get back to where you started from when stock?

What am I missing here?
I believe he simply means that he would like it to start off, drive/handle and stop as though it were still stock while having been modified to preform better off road as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles