Expo Build for a fiberglass camper.

I bought a 1975ish Hunter Compact, which is a fiberglass egg style camper. I gutted and am building out the interior in a minimalistic/expo way and was wondering if anyone on here has any examples of an off road frame mod they have done on a similar camper. I've been real excited about this project since the onset but want to make sure I have a bomber frame when all is said and done. I believe the weight should end up in the 6-800# range when completed. This particular model is very small compared the the typical Casitas ,Burros. etc. Like every other project in my life, I am doing this on a virtually nonexistent budget. One of the things I've considered is removing the axle and bolting the frame and camper down to a flat bed trailer. I could even use a slightly larger trailer in order to add external storage space. It would be a great plan if I had that flat bed trailer. Anyway just fishing for previous experience. This forum is amazing and while I have used my vehicle to land me at hiking trailheads and hunting camps for the most part, the idea of overland expo type trips falls very much in line with my needs when it comes to vehicles and shelters. I've never been interested in taking a jeep trail just for the sake of the drive but i do find myself in remote situations often and don't like to turn back based on lack of preparation. Life is too short to own crumby gear. -David

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
David,
You are so far in advance of almost anyone one here i don't think anyone is in your league when it comes to major building/re-building. You are an original minimalist, and it's good to put an actual given name to the moniker: seldom seen smith. Now if i could only see an actual picture of this hermit. Only you can determine if a truck based or trailer based camper box will work for you. It all depends on how much off-road you actually do.
I have no advice (nor has anyone else) about your project, but i think you will turn on your creative juices and let 'er rip.
Just today I picked up my Dodge/Lance Lite from the local RV guru who actually has talent and can do anything you want. Anything. After ripping my sissor steps and door threshold off on an Eastern Sierra Nevada trip with my bro, the guru heli-arc'd in a new threshold for the door and firmed up the attached framing with extruded aluminum stock. It is purdy. If these new steps get ripped off again (by a passing rock) it will take the entire wooden under frame with it. The guy is an artist. He calls himself a fabricator and has all the tools to work with wood, aluminum, fiberglass, steel, plumbing, electrical, and paint with a huge dose of problem solving.
Let us know how the project moves along.
regards, as always, jefe (aka jeff reynolds)

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Really no different than the very popular off-road pop-up campers people build.

Lots of those on here. Cruise over to the trailer part of the forum and look around :ylsmoke:

BTW, have fun with that Hunter!

Ive seen them before and thought it would make a great lightweight camper!

Like this right?

3056.jpg

If it were me, Id do just like this guy..... build a heavy duty trailer with taller springs to fit larger tires, and toss the entire camper onto it.

2011-06-17_17-52-45_717.jpg

Really no different than the very popular off-road pop-up campers people build.

Lots of those on here. Cruise over to the trailer part of the forum and look around :ylsmoke:

BTW, have fun with that Hunter!

Ive seen them before and thought it would make a great lightweight camper!

Like this right?

3056.jpg

If it were me, Id do just like this guy..... build a heavy duty trailer with taller springs to fit larger tires, and toss the entire camper onto it.

2011-06-17_17-52-45_717.jpg

Yeah thats the camper although mine is a bit more rough around the edges. And that popup pic is the right idea. I'm looking for a trailer frame that is a bit longer than the shell in order to bolt down lockers on the back end. This camper is really not much bigger than all the military rigs people are rebuilding and the top is no taller than my 4runner on the frame it sits on. Will be a bit taller when done but nothing like a full height camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles