ExPo build base advise diesel - G vs. G55 vs. G500

paachi

Thanks a lot for all the advise guys. I took the last few days of down time to research extensively. The diesel route is temporarily out. Too much hassle to find an appropriate truck, bring it in and register it in CA. I still haven't given up hope in the long term for a diesel. I just love the torque and range of the oil burners.

The Toyota LC 81 was a good suggestion but in the end it didn't tug the heart strings like the LR or G. I read quite a bit on the LR4 reliability and seems like it and the RR Sport from the 12-13 MY are quite reliable expect for some known issues which can be addressed.

Now I have shortlisted one of each vehicle. The LR4 is low miles (35K) has the HD package and comes with a good warranty. The G500 is a Europa with low ish miles (60K). Of course no warranty.

Both are priced at $50K. A bit steep but they are incredibly clean vehicles. I am still torn and would love your thoughts. The LR4 is very clean and I will have peace of mind for another 75K miles.

The G feels like a platform that I can build and own for a long term (200K miles) but I don't know if I am paying too much for a G500 Europa just because it's unmolested. I am going to end up modding it and taking it on trails. Maybe I should go for a high miles or potentially a non Europa vehicle and spend the money saved on fixing and modding.

Thoughts or suggestions on how to best proceed??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kotton

If youre looking at the LR4, have you though about checking out the current Jeep Grand Cherokee lineup? I dont have any personal experience with it, but it keeps getting great marks year after year, and the suspension setup looks comparable to an LR4. With your budget you could get one new with a full warranty on it, plus you could get the 5.7 in it and to scratch the "soul" itch.

MLu

Adventurer
Seeing as the P38 is generally considered the most troublesome rover ever, if you're used to keeping that running reliably then... well, I wouldn't sweat it about perceived reliability.

paachi

@mlu True dat

SITREP: The analysis paralysis continues. But thankfully I have shortlisted some vehicles. Hopefully will make a decision soon and post back.

Any ExPo folks in the SF Bay Area?? Would love to go out exploring with you guys/ gals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles