Explorist 210 questions

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
So while it may not be the greatest GPS unit, my dad just up and handed it to me before they got off to Australia and said: "here maybe this will be fun to have on your rafting trip" My dad is so damn cool. So I've been playing with it for a few days and I'm kind of getting the hang of it. What I really am having trouble with is that as I go to install the Map software on my Lap-top at my place, it says that it needs a newer 1.079 version of the software... oddly enough it came with the 1.0 version and has never been used so I don't know why it needs the new stuff???

Any ideas on what to do???

Any sources of maps for overlay on this thing? Like can I get a Portland Street map? and I'd like to find some maps of most of the West Coast (don't need the East, I stay away from there ;) ) espescialy Idaho/Montana and N. Cali seeing as thats where I travel to go rafting the most.

Anyone else got one of these units who can give me some tips on set-up and use??

basicly right now I've set my place into it and all of the local pubs around my place that I've been to in the past few.

I'm really excited to have gotten this thing. I'll probably get something nicer at some point, but like I said, the old man just gave it to me and it works so why not use it. My dad truly is one of my favorite people ever.

Anyway sorry for the disjuanted rant and questions, but I'm excited to officialy be pinpointed on the globe.

Cheers

Dave

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I think you just need to upgrade the firmware on the unit so that it will be compatible with the software.

You should be able to find it on the Magellan site under support.

I have owned 3 Magellans over several years. I currently have the big brother in the explorist line (the explorist XL). It works the same as yours does.

What software are you looking to install on your laptop?

I have the topo 3D software and the direct route software. You need to create maps using the software and then transfer those maps to an SD card. Once you load the SD card into the unit, you need to load whichever map you wish to use at that time.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Nice gift, BTW.

TD

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
thanks mate. I'm trying to install the map transfer software that came with the GPS itself, that's why I was a bit surprised to see that it wanted a newer version... I'm guess ing that it's the same software you're talking about, I actualy had it figured the oposite. I thought that i'd set way points and then transfer them over to another map, but I like the way you're describing better.

SO question: Are there available topo's of more or less popular areas already made for this unit? Basicly I'd really like to find some Maps of N. Cal and ID/OR/WA for rafting and my spring/summer excursions.

Edit - You answered my question already... thanks

thanks for your help.

Cheers

Dave

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
You can plan your trip using the software. Create waypoints, select an area to create a gps map to transfer later, create routes, etc.

Then, once you get all of that created and saved, then you can xfer the data to the gps.

The Magellan TOPO 3D software will provide you with maps.

If you don't have this already, you might consider purchasing it.

Lemme know if you have more questions.

Good luck,

TD

bovw

Explorer
tdesanto said:
You can plan your trip using the software. Create waypoints, select an area to create a gps map to transfer later, create routes, etc.

Then, once you get all of that created and saved, then you can xfer the data to the gps.

The Magellan TOPO 3D software will provide you with maps.

If you don't have this already, you might consider purchasing it.

Lemme know if you have more questions.

Good luck,

TD
You wouldn't happen to have a spare copy of the Mapsend data CD would you?

bovw

Explorer
I have the Mapsend software, but lost the data cd. I need to get the Topo software, can that be installed without the Mapsend software?

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
bovw said:
I have the Mapsend software, but lost the data cd. I need to get the Topo software, can that be installed without the Mapsend software?

I do happen to have an extra copy of the Magellan Topo 3D USA new in the box. If you're interested, let me know. I'll sell it for $50 + shipping.

It's compatible with eXplorist, SporTrak, and Meridian series units.

Tony

tibaal89

Adventurer
I have the eXplorist 210 as well and love it.

I've not played with their mapping software much, though. Becuase the waypoint and track data are stored on it in such a simple format, I generally plan my route in whatever software I happen to prefer for that (Google Earth, USAPhotoMaps, or the National Geographic thing generally) and then convert the output of that into the eXp-210 format using a combination of homemade software and voodoo.

I believe the same can be accomplished using the free GPSbabel software (google it), though I'm not entirely sure... it might be worth looking into.

As for having a more extensive basemap on the unit itself, a friend of mine has the eXp-400 and has somehow loaded it with a very impressive set of maps. That model has the SD card where the 210 does not, so I don't know if that's possible with the 210...

bovw

Explorer
tdesanto said:
I do happen to have an extra copy of the Magellan Topo 3D USA new in the box. If you're interested, let me know. I'll sell it for $50 + shipping.

It's compatible with eXplorist, SporTrak, and Meridian series units.

Tony
May just do that. Shipping to VA 22960?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior