ExploringNH's 2000 Ford Excursion build

ExploringNH

Explorer
ExploringNH's 2000 Ford Excursion build - Now with more pop-top!

1/8/2015 - Work on pop-top roof started.

Current state of chaos:

DRAM010.jpg
VOT006.jpg
MaineCoast007.jpg

ENHExcursion.jpg
First Draft Mockup

After building a 4Runner for tight NH trails and a Defender 110 for a trip to South America, I knew what I wanted next. Something big and comfortable. I am done with the long days offroad crawling over rocks and bouncing around just to end up back where I started. My interests now lie solely in exploring and long trips. This means more time on pavement and less time on hardcore trails. In the end, I decided on a Ford Excursion. Based on the Ford Super Duty platform, the Excursion is a heavy duty truck with an SUV body and solid front axle. Plenty of space inside for a sleeping platform, fridge, and anything else I will need on the road.

Purpose:
Extended camping, exploring, and road trips in comfort while maintaining the ability to tackle most trails, obstacles, and challenges we may encounter. Must retain ability to tow a trailer for personal use. Must be able to be driven easily by anyone. No poor road manners acceptable. Must be self-sustainable for up to 4 days. All of this for a reasonable budget.

Vehicle:
2000 Ford Excursion
6.8L V10
44 gallon stock fuel tank
4x4
Limited

photo (3).JPG
Day 1

Once I decided on the vehicle, it was a matter of finding one for the right price. With a low budget I ended up looking for about a month before I found one that was worthy of taking home. The truck had a few issues when I brought it home. The range sensor on the transmission was bad (a common problem) which made shifting difficult and resulted in no reverse lights, a check engine light, and transmission errors. About $50 later and 20 minutes of time and all was resolved. The front end needed a couple of balljoints (super common on Super Duty trucks) and the rear brakes needed new calipers, pads, and rotors. All said and done, I put just under $400 worth of parts into the $3250 truck.

The downside of this truck is that it is BIG. It will not fit down a lot of New England trails. That won't be a huge problem because that isn't the type of wheeling that I intend to do with it. This truck is going to be built for mainly dirt road and mild trails. Occasionally I will encounter a tough spot but I hope to build the vehicle enough to be able to deal with it. I've been wheeling for years and know the limitations. Every vehicle has it's downsides and the downside to the Excursion is simply size. There is no way around it. The modifications chosen have taken this into account. The 44 gallon tank will provide impressive range even with the low mpg of the Triton V10. The Sterling 10.5 rear and Dana 50 front should provide adequate for the 37" tires given that we are not excessive on the throttle and bouncing around. A rear selectable locker will be added in the future and the front and rear will be re-geared at that time.

Parts acquired:
37"x13.5"x18" Toyo Open Country tires
6" Zone Offroad lift with Nitro shocks and stabilizer
Buckstop front and rear bumpers
Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio with Firestik antenna

Planned Modifications (immediate):
Winch
12v fridge freezer
Dual battery
Roof Rack with 50" LED bar and aux lighting
2005 style grille/headlights
Compressor
Sleeping platform

Tires/Lift: With the vehicle being so large I needed to find a tire size that would allow me to tackle the terrain and handle the weight. The 18" wheels were not my first choice but they are a compromise. A 16" wheel will allow more airing down for a larger footprint. The 18" wheel will allow for a better on-road ride. Unfortunately, no one makes a ~37" radial tire in a 16" wheel size anymore. 17-18" is the new standard. I believe that choosing a tire size is the first step for any vehicle build. Everything else is based around it. For the type of driving and terrain that this vehicle will see, I feel that a 37" tall tire is the best compromise. To fit the 37" tire we will be running a 6" Zone Offroad lift. This lift is supposed to fit a 35" tire but we will be cutting and trimming a bit to make it all work. I wanted to run as low of a lift as possible and still be able to clear the tires. Keeping a low center of gravity and low overall height is important. The Zone lift was chosen because of a few factors. One is price. It is very reasonably priced for what you get with the kit. The front lift is a full leaf pack which was important for this build. The factory Excursion pack is soft from the factory and doesn't age well. My truck is sagging quite a bit and with some off-roading, I would be bouncing off of the bump stops most of the time. A new front pack will bring the truck up and back to having a decent ride. The pack has a fair amount of leafs which should provide a nice progressive rate. The rear is an add-a-leaf setup which will be mated to a fresh pair of factory Ford C-code rear springs.

photo (2).jpg
37" Toyos at stock height

Interior: After spending quite a bit of time sleeping in vehicles, ground tents, and roof top tents, I decided that I wanted to build a sleeping platform inside the vehicle for this build. A roof top tent is great because it takes up no interior space and is very comfortable and cozy. The downsides are that it is cold in the winter, takes a long time to set up (10-15 minutes), and raises the vehicles overall height and center of gravity. It is also inconvenient to set up in the rain and in non-secure places. I feel a lot more comfortable sleeping inside the truck in a sketchy or busy area than deploying a very conspicuous roof top tent. Having a sleeping platform inside the truck takes up valuable space but that is a compromise I am willing to make for 0 setup time, warmth, security, and inconspicuousness (is that even a word?). The platform will be built with storage underneath to keep recovery gear, spare fluids, work gloves, and all of the other stuff that finds it's way into our vehicles. The goal is to keep the platform as low as possible to allow for as much headroom in the sleeping area for sitting up, getting dressed, and spending time. The height will be determined by the tallest item that has to be stored under the platform. The third row seat will be removed but I will be keeping the second row. I need the vehicle to be functional for everyday use as well as long road trips. Some sort of heater will be added to the interior to help cut the edge on cold nights. In the future a water tank will be added for showering or cooking. A small inverter will be added to power laptops or other small 120v items. A Cobra 75 WX ST CB radio will be added to allow for communication on group trips. The Cobra CB was chosen for it's small form factor. Everything is in the handle and it can all be hidden away under a seat when not in use. A 43qt fridge/freezer will be added to store drinks and food. A small fridge will be enough for me and I will probably go with an Edgestar because I have had great luck with this fridge in the past. It holds plenty of stuff to keep us stocked between re-suppplys. In all honesty we are never more than a day or two from food and even when we are, we don't need to keep most drinks and food cold and can plan around it. An extra battery will be installed to help with the overnight loads of the fridge. In my experiences a single battery has no problem powering the fridge in even scorching temperatures for a couple of days without killing the battery. A second battery will just add some peace of mind and the capability to leave the truck unattended for several days without worry or to run lighting at night with the truck off for an extended period. In all honesty, if the truck is left for a week, it isn't worth it to leave the fridge on. Whatever is in it will likely go bad.

Bumpers/winch: The bumpers are more of a luxury than a necessity and I have no problem admitting that. The factory Excursion has adequate tow points front and rear from the factory. A winch was a necessity for this build since there is a high probability of solo travel. A Warn hidden winch mount is available for the stock bumper at a cost of about $500. I didn't like how it pushed the factory bumper out and made the truck look like it had a fat lip. Access to the winch is limited with this setup and it wasn't ideal. To find more excuses to upgrade the bumpers, the factory rear bumper was damaged when I bought the truck and needed to be replaced. The front grille was the old style and I wanted to upgrade to the newer headlights and grille. This upgrade is nothing more than cosmetic. All of these flimsy excuses added up and led to the purchase of a set of Buckstop front and rear bumpers. These will provide a lot of strength and protection to the front and rear and allow for easy and accessible winch mounting up front. The rear bumper will have integrated LED lights that will be on a toggle switch to provide extra reverse lighting or just for lighting up a campsite behind the truck. The front bumper will have some 6" LED lights mounted into the frenched light buckets. Buckstop bumpers are very well built and have a great reputation and who can argue with the looks (I'm sure some will, haha). Don't get me wrong; steel bumpers are great but if I had a very small budget, they would not be included. As long as you can fit a winch, I consider them a "Phase 2" addition. Not to be added before a rear selectable locker. In our case we needed a rear bumper anyway and couldn't fit a winch nicely behind the front bumper. Instead of spending $500 to make the front useful and $280 on a new factory rear bumper, it made sense to just go ahead and put that money into good bumpers since we would eventually end up with them anyway.

JF008_l.jpg
Buckstop Baja and 2005 style grille and headlights

Lighting/Rack: Having extra lighting has a lot of uses. Most people picture driving at high speeds with lights blazing down the highway or off-road desert tracks. Where I live, that isn't possible. First, pretty much all of these lights are illegal for on-road use. Second, in NH there is almost 0 high speed driving. Everything is twisty and visibility of the road ahead only lasts for a couple hundred feet before a hill or bend blocks your view. The lights will be used for off-road trails, inclement weather on back roads where the likely hood of a passing vehicle is slim, and for lighting up camp sites or work areas. We will have 360* lighting provided by small LED lights. These will not be super bright scorcher high power LEDs. They will only provide enough light to set up camp and do what we need to around the vehicle. Low power consumption is important as is small form factor and low weight. The roof rack is designed to hold an occasional load but will mostly be up there as a low profile way to protect the roof line from trees and hold a 50" dual row LED bar for the front. This bar will provide our forward lighting. After having run a 50" dual row Rigid bar on the Defender I knew it was a mandatory inclusion for this build. The 7" HID lights will not be included this time as they proved fairly useless. They allowed for a big throw of light but took too long to warm up to be useful for most situations.

roofrackmockup.jpg
MSPaint of roof rack. 50" LED goes in front.

That is all we have done so far. We will continue to acquire parts over the next month and plan to have it all installed in late January.

Last edited:

bjm206

Adventurer
Look forward to following your build. The stock rear axle on Excursions is a Ford 10.5 Sterling.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I'm looking forward to this build! Just found out we have a third child on the way and an Excursion is at the top of my list of vehicles to replace my DD.

TKSC01

Adventurer
Sounds like a great idea

I look forward to this build! I am doing the same build myself. I have already swapped out the Dana 50 for a Dana 60 out of a Ford F350 Dually. This is a must! I broke the Dana 50 on my first adventure into the snow last year with stock tires. I put bumpers and a Warn 12000lbs winch. I have dual optima yellow tops and a 200psi compressor already. As well as a fridge inside and a camper potty for the little ones on road trips. I recently purchased 5 Michelin XMLs I am awaiting shipment now. They are 38" tall and should fit with fender trimming, I like the idea of the military grade tires for some reason. Oh yeah, also I swapped my springs in the front to x code springs to compensate for the weight of the bumper and winch up front. Heres a pic, I hope to see you on the trail someday!scurge in the snow.jpgfront back a little.jpg

xbox73

Adventurer
Having a sleeping platform inside the truck takes up valuable space but that is a compromise I am willing to make for 0 setup time, warmth, security, and inconspicuousness (is that even a word?). The platform will be built with storage underneath to keep recovery gear, spare fluids, work gloves, and all of the other stuff that finds it's way into our vehicles. The goal is to keep the platform as low as possible to allow for as much headroom in the sleeping area for sitting up, getting dressed, and spending time. The height will be determined by the tallest item that has to be stored under the platform. The third row seat will be removed but I will be keeping the second row.

I have an '00 X too. My quick & dirty make shift sleeping platform inside was to also remove the 3rd row & put 6 Action Packer 24 gallon boxes for gear in the cargo area behind the 2nd row, and then drop a sheet of marine plywood on top, and 3" camping mattresses on top of that.

Disadvantages are:
- the sheet of plywood is bulky, so one either has to put under heavy Action Packers until needed, or reach under plywood to get to Action Packers, or chop the playwood down into smaller pieces, possibly with hinges or latches so they stay together.
- the Action Packers are approx. 18" high (tops are a couple inches below top of 2nd row seat), so that doesn't afford much headroom, but works for an occasional quick & dirty solution.
- if you replace one of the Action Packers in the rear with a fridge that's a different height, then the sleeping platform would only fit 1 person, or 2 with a narrowed foot box
- (the one that you are probably most interested in) the length from the hatch to the back of the 2nd row seat is only approx. 5'6", so it's not ideal for tall people who like to sleep stretched out (I have to curl up)

To fit the 37" tire we will be running a 6" Zone Offroad lift. This lift is supposed to fit a 35" tire but we will be cutting and trimming a bit to make it all work. I wanted to run as low of a lift as possible and still be able to clear the tires.

My X has an 8" lift, and the same 37" Toyo Open Country MTs (but in 17" diameter), and has the hidden winch setup you refer to that pushes the stock bumper forward several winches. I can't say for sure, but I think you might have some trouble stuffing 37" tires under a 6" lift without much rubbing, with bumpers the same dimensions as stock & stock fender flares, even if you do some trimming. I think the general guideline is 4-6" lift fits 35" tires, 8" lift fits 37" tires. Note though that I believe a 6" lift for a F250/F350 SuperDuty might equate to an 8" lift on an Excursion due to lower stock height of an Excursion vs. SuperDuty. Also, with an 8" lift and 37" tires, the rear cargo floor is above waist level for me (and I'm 5'10 - 5'11), so makes loading heavy boxes in the rear cargo area a bit of a hassle (though your X may be an inch or 2 lower if you can get away with a 6" lift).

xbox73

Adventurer
I have already swapped out the Dana 50 for a Dana 60 out of a Ford F350 Dually. This is a must! I broke the Dana 50 on my first adventure into the snow last year with stock tires.

I wish mine had a Dana 60, instead of the stock Dana 50. Admittedly mine has an ARB air locker in it (and 4.56 gears) which may increase the strength of the carrier etc., but so far I haven't managed to break mine with either Goodyear Wrangler H1 military surplus radials in 37x12.50x16.5 or Toyo Open Country MTs in 17x13.5x37 with mild to moderate off roading. While not as strong as a Dana 60, the Dana 50 is more than a glorified Dana 44 & stronger than most people give it credit for. For tires larger than 37", heavy duty off-road use, or when traveling to remote places or in environments where breaking down is highly undesirable, an upgrade to a Dana 60 might be a worthwhile investment. But for the OP's purposes i.e. traveling, exploring, occasional mild to moderate off roading, the Dana 50 will likely suffice.

If the previous owner of my X hadn't already dumped a bunch of money into the front diff i.t.o. 4.56 re-gear & an ARB air locker, I'd be tempted to upgrade to a Dana 60; but since mine already has those components and an upgrade to a Dana 60 can be a costly proposition (if one doesn't find a high pinion front Dana 60 cheaply in a scrapyard & has the ability to rebuild it oneself), I'll just make do with my Dana 50. If at some point it breaks, depending on the circumstances & what broke, I'll either get the Dana 50 rebuilt or upgrade to a Dana 60.

Some more info on the similarities & differences between a Dana 50 & Dan 60, and what's involved in swapping from a Dana 50 to a Dana 50, see here:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/1309-ford-super-duty-dana-50-to-60-front-axle-swap/

ExploringNH

Explorer
I look forward to this build! I am doing the same build myself. I have already swapped out the Dana 50 for a Dana 60 out of a Ford F350 Dually. This is a must! I broke the Dana 50 on my first adventure into the snow last year with stock tires. I put bumpers and a Warn 12000lbs winch. I have dual optima yellow tops and a 200psi compressor already. As well as a fridge inside and a camper potty for the little ones on road trips. I recently purchased 5 Michelin XMLs I am awaiting shipment now. They are 38" tall and should fit with fender trimming, I like the idea of the military grade tires for some reason. Oh yeah, also I swapped my springs in the front to x code springs to compensate for the weight of the bumper and winch up front. Heres a pic, I hope to see you on the trail someday!

I've seen your truck before. It looks good. That's The XMLs are big. They wear very well but are very stiff and have poor traction in wet or cold. They are also super heavy.

I have an '00 X too. My quick & dirty make shift sleeping platform inside was to also remove the 3rd row & put 6 Action Packer 24 gallon boxes for gear in the cargo area behind the 2nd row, and then drop a sheet of marine plywood on top, and 3" camping mattresses on top of that.

Disadvantages are:
- the sheet of plywood is bulky, so one either has to put under heavy Action Packers until needed, or reach under plywood to get to Action Packers, or chop the playwood down into smaller pieces, possibly with hinges or latches so they stay together.
- the Action Packers are approx. 18" high (tops are a couple inches below top of 2nd row seat), so that doesn't afford much headroom, but works for an occasional quick & dirty solution.
- if you replace one of the Action Packers in the rear with a fridge that's a different height, then the sleeping platform would only fit 1 person, or 2 with a narrowed foot box
- (the one that you are probably most interested in) the length from the hatch to the back of the 2nd row seat is only approx. 5'6", so it's not ideal for tall people who like to sleep stretched out (I have to curl up)

My X has an 8" lift, and the same 37" Toyo Open Country MTs (but in 17" diameter), and has the hidden winch setup you refer to that pushes the stock bumper forward several winches. I can't say for sure, but I think you might have some trouble stuffing 37" tires under a 6" lift without much rubbing, with bumpers the same dimensions as stock & stock fender flares, even if you do some trimming. I think the general guideline is 4-6" lift fits 35" tires, 8" lift fits 37" tires. Note though that I believe a 6" lift for a F250/F350 SuperDuty might equate to an 8" lift on an Excursion due to lower stock height of an Excursion vs. SuperDuty. Also, with an 8" lift and 37" tires, the rear cargo floor is above waist level for me (and I'm 5'10 - 5'11), so makes loading heavy boxes in the rear cargo area a bit of a hassle (though your X may be an inch or 2 lower if you can get away with a 6" lift).

Sounds like a good setup. In my 4Runner I had a platform that fit behind the second row that was permanent. The front section was able to be flipped out when the seats were folded down. Combined with a futon mattress, this allowed me to fold the mattress in half and flip the seats back up when driving, and fold it all down for the night. It worked really well. I'll do a similar setup in the Ex. I haven't quite decided where the fridge will end up yet but I want it to be within reach of the passenger seat. I was hoping to put it right behind the center console in the center of the second row foot area. Unfortunately, it isn't even close to fitting. I have to re-measure and see if an Expedition center console will free up some space and then possibly move the second row back a few inches. Since there isn't enough room behind the second row to sleep without folding it down, it doesn't really matter how far back it is.

The tires will not fit without trimming. I stuffed them under the truck at stock height and I have some ideas of where I will need to cut. At least I don't have to chop off body mounts like the FJ Cruisers. It should be pretty minor on the Ex. The Zone Offroad lift is a 6" Excursion lift, so equal to a 4" lift on a Super Duty. I fit 35s on my 4Runner with a small lift, so I know what it takes to fit big tires. I would rather cut a little bit than be higher than 6". I would rather be around 4", but everything is a compromise. The added advantages of breakover, approch, and departure angles will be nice to have on such a long truck.

Elkhntr121

Looks good, nice compromise of lift height vs tire size. Offset appears perfect too.

Three questions:
1- where did you trim if at all (maybe pics too, if you did trim)?
2 - what wheel did you wind up with, and perhaps more importantly what is the specific backspacing?
3- do you have rubbing on the front leaf spring at full turn?

Thanks much!

ExploringNH

Explorer
Looks good, nice compromise of lift height vs tire size. Offset appears perfect too.

Three questions:
1- where did you trim if at all (maybe pics too, if you did trim)?
2 - what wheel did you wind up with, and perhaps more importantly what is the specific backspacing?
3- do you have rubbing on the front leaf spring at full turn?

Thanks much!

I trimmed the front black air dam at the bottom of the bumper. In the second photo from snow wheeling you can see the cut. I took it off at an angle from the top. That was the only place I trimmed. On big articulation with the wheels turned you can catch the lip of the bumper but not enough for me to trim it. It barely touches.

The wheels are ION wheels and are:

Size: 18x9
Offset: +12mm
Backspace: 5.47"

They do rub the leaf spring at full lock...barely. You can adjust the steering stops to compensate but I think I will find wheels that stick out a little farther instead. For now I am just running it the way it is because if the wheels move even 2mm out, I will fail inspection unless I get fender flares. Since I need to promote responsible offroad recreation I need to have a 100% legal vehicle. :)

Last edited:

shellb

Adventurer
Great looking rig! I look forward to your build and details as well. Comfy and capable is a great combo!

ExploringNH

Explorer
umydaqe4.jpg

7a2u7esa.jpg

ane9ese7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94