Exploring the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bears Ears and more! (Oct 2018)

turbodb

I'd returned from The Re-Tour a mere three weeks before our departure date, but that didn't mean there were only a few short days to plan for our next epic adventure. In fact, quite the contrary - we'd been planning our trip south to Arizona and Utah for nearly a year - knowing that there was way more ground than we could cover in the two weeks we had allocated for the excursion.

Our plan was simple, if long. Start in St. George, Utah, and work our way east - first along the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then through Glen Canyon National Monument (Lake Powell), and then through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument to Bears Ears National Monument and Natural Bridges National Monuments. Then, finally, we'd work our way back north through Capitol Reef National Park, having seen the plethora of sights and plenty of dirt roads along the way. It was, to be sure, the most ambitious trip to date!

Over the summer, invites were extended and permits were obtained. We'd have six trucks making the run, the max we were allowed in the National Parks. But as is often the case, as the departure date neared, not everyone was able to make it - so it was that on the last Saturday in September, Monte @Blackdawg left from his home in Montana, and Mike @Digiratus and I left from Washington to meet up the next day in St. George.

It was - to say the least - an early morning, when I headed out at 4:15am - 12 hours or so of driving to meet up with Mike, and then another 6 hours to our rendezvous with Monte.

As I cruised south, the miles unfolded in front of me, slowly. You see, I'm the slowest driver of our group - moseying along at 62 mph - taking in the sights, and hypermiling. For me, it's enjoyable. This morning, I enjoyed an amazing sunrise about the time I crossed from Washington into Oregon.

And then, not long after - I hit a major milestone for the truck. One I thought I'd hit returning from The Re-Tour, but which I was just a couple hundred miles shy of when it was all said and done - 100,000 miles! Clearly, after some 19 years of ownership, the truck is just getting broken in.

I continued south and east, stopping only for fuel and food until early afternoon when Mike and I finally realized that we could communicate not only via ham radio, but also via some new-fangled SMS technology, which had distances much greater than our radio transmissions! ? We found each other around Boise, Idaho and were from that point on, a caravan of two - our speed increased or decreased depending on which truck you were riding in - to a middle-of-the-road speed around 67 mph.

Our destination for the evening was just south of Wells, Nevada, and we made reasonable time getting there - again, our stops only for fuel and food. And so it was that shortly after sunset, we found ourselves looking for a place to camp on BLM land, where we'd enjoy a propane camp fire and wonder how late Monte would be to our noon rendezvous in St. George the next day.

In the end, we figured that if we showed up around 1:00 pm, we'd probably only have to wait an hour - so we set our alarms and hit the sack, eager for the adventure that lay ahead.

- - - - -​

September 30, 2018.

We awoke the next morning just a few minutes before sunrise. It was beautiful and clear, and we'd slept well - protected from the wind by the surrounding trees. And, as we got to putting away our tents, sunrise played across the sky.

It was only as we were pulling out of camp - the sun hitting the mountain range to our west - that we realized we had a "problem." Monte had found a spot to camp the night before that was closer to St. George than we were, and he was already on the road - now a good couple hours ahead of us.

Hmm. We booked it out of camp, a trail of dust in our wake.

As we headed south and a bit east, we stopped only once for fuel - opting to skip breakfast in favor of having Monte find us a tasty-looking Mexican eatery for lunch. After all, it was clear he was going to have a bit of time on his hands.

In the end, it turned out that Monte was early - a first in my experience, though he insists that he's be "on time" twice before - and we were half an hour late (or, an hour and a half late, if you considered that we were technically now in Mountain Time). Happy to have met up - and for the beginning of our adventure - we promptly sat down in a booth in a Mexican restaurant and ate a leisurely lunch.

Eventually, it was time to head out - picking up fuel, firewood, and a few last supplies on our way out-of-town and out-of-Utah - St. George being right on the Arizona border.

That border also turned out to be the end of pavement, and we were more than happy to air down and hit the dirt, even as clouds started to gather in the sky. This was Arizona after-all, and it was still September - how could the weather be anything but fine?

31652656228_d8f8aecf6f_h.jpg

43707744280_f6077bcb39_h.jpg

Tire pressure's lowered, we hit the trail. There were a few hours of dirt ahead of us to our first Grand Canyon National Park destination - Whitmore Overlook - where we'd camp for the night, but that didn't stop us a few miles in from pulling over and taking the first of what would be thousands and thousands of photos.

31652657978_25927b11f3_h.jpg

43707745720_636748aba4_h.jpg

It was also here that the first raindrops feel on us and our trucks. "******** you rain!" Monte joked as we climbed back behind the wheels of our first gen Toyota Tacoma's and sped off along the trail, sure that what we'd felt was just a fluke.

31652660058_fd86e4431f_h.jpg

We probably shouldn't have been quite so sure with what was behind and ahead of us - but it didn't matter, we were out in our element, sights to see; excitement (more than we knew) ahead.

- - - - -
Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos - it'd all be included here if it fit. But until then...

Keep reading the rest here
Exploring the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Bears Ears and more! (Oct 2018)

Or, to get notified of all new adventures, sign up here!

WOODY2

Adventurer
Outstanding adventure report, probably the best I've read. The after report is especially welcome and it's easy to lose the details. Thank you very much.

turbodb

Outstanding adventure report, probably the best I've read. The after report is especially welcome and it's easy to lose the details. Thank you very much.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed - always fun to go on the adventure, and then of course to relive it through the write-up!

turbodb

F.U.Rain Day 3 - Stop It You Guys, I Can't Watch!

The night was a bit windy, parked on the edge of the canyon wall. But warmish temps and a late night, combined with the fact that we were a few hundred feet from the top of the canyon - so there was no reason to get up early for the orange glow of sunrise on the horizon - meant that we slept well and I didn't even think about getting out of bed before 8:30am.

Like the evening before, the sky was mostly cloudy - the resulting light being both muted and mysterious at the same time as I re-explored the area around camp, taking in our surroundings at the beginning of this new day.

It wasn't long before Mike @Digiratus was up as well - his new stove and the coffee it'd produce beckoning to him as it does every morning. As he made his coffee and we each enjoyed the peacefulness of our newfound seclusion, the silence was broken by the thump-thump-thump of a helicopter in the distance.

And then, it was no longer distant. Flying low and fast, it came hurtling down a path similar to the one we'd taken to our camp the night before. We looked up, we looked at each other, and we reached for our cameras as he plunged down into the canyon and toward the Colorado River below, skimming the surface as he headed upstream.

It was then that we saw a group of rafters - new arrivals during the night - 2000 feet below, and half a mile upstream of our camp. With practiced skill, the pilot alighted atop a small pad - just large enough for his skids - next to their camp. People got out, others got in, and it wasn't long until - with the same skill and speed - the pilot was off again, climbing quickly out of the canyon and directly over our camp - banking sharply as he did - and then disappearing to the north from where he came.

We knew two things for sure - he was good, and it looked like fun!

We puzzled over what was going on and then got back to our routine. Until - a second fly-over, and then a third. It was at this point that Monte @Blackdawg finally climbed out of his tent - just as curious as to what was going on as we were. In all, there were four trips down to the river - and we decided it was either a major injury on a Grand Canyon rafting trip, or a much more expensive rafting trip than any of us were accustomed to, that necessitated all the commotion.

Eventually we'd get the real story, but that would have to wait - for now, we worked to soak in the last of the views of our first night in the Grandest of Canyons and get camp put away.

And then, we were off - sort of. As Mike headed out to explore the path of the helicopter, Monte started up his truck to pull out of my way. As I turned the key, I was rewarded with no response from my truck - no starter, no click, nothing. Uh oh. The first night of our two week trip and I'd apparently killed the battery - which I'd borrowed from Mike after mine had died after the previous trip.

Hoping that a recharge would set things right, I had Monte pull up to give me a jump, just as Mike was returning from his exploration.

And so it was - with all three trucks running once again - that we pulled out of camp and headed back north the way we'd come the day before - unsure how far we'd need to backtrack before heading to Toroweap Overlook - a cut-off road hopefully shortening our route...if it was passable.

As we headed up and out, we marveled again at the scenery we passed. With seemingly a bit more time, we stopped here and there - either for photos we'd missed the day before, or because the light was in some way better this morning. As we did, I made sure to leave the truck running to charge the battery, not wanting to be the guy who needed a jump each and every day for a two-week trip.

As it turns out, Whitmore Overlook is the site of a 180,000 year-old lava flow that once dammed the Grand Canyon. Over the next 20,000 years, a lake grew behind the dam, eventually causing it to fail and sending a wall of water 600-feet tall thundering down the Grand Canyon - so powerful that boulders 115-feet in diameter were swept along downstream. We got a great sight of some of the lava from this flow - a stark black in an otherwise orange-white-and-blue landscape.

Eventually we made our way back to the Bar Ten Ranch, the point where we thought there might be a cut-off road saving us several miles on our way to Toroweap. The road to Whitmore had passed through their land, and we decided it would be a good idea to stop to thank them for keeping it open and ask about the viability of the road in question.

Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos - it'd all be included here if it fit. But until then...

F.U.Rain Day 3 - Stop It You Guys, I Can't Watch!

turbodb

F.U.Rain Day 4 - And So It Begins...

It rained on and off throughout the night - not too bad, actually when it comes right down to it. The rain stopped by early morning, though a cloud cover remained, allowing me a second reprieve from an early-morning to capture sunrise. It was 8:00am by the time I pulled myself out of the tent, Mike @Digiratus also up, getting his coffee started.

A bowl of Cheerios in my hand, I ventured to the edge of the canyon - it's reds and oranges now deeper from the overnight rain. The dramatic clouds causing a flat-if-not-a-bit-ominous light.

We poked around for a while, knowing that the tents would go away wet, but hoping we could change that to "damp" if we let them air out a while. But, we had a long day of driving ahead, so it wasn't long before we dried out the best we could and folded the tents up, hoping the evening would be warm and the rain would be gone so that everything would dry out by the time we crawled into bed.

Oh, and with no chance to refuel the previous day, and another overlook to hit before heading to town, we'd need our spare fuel - 10 gallons each - so before heading out, we transferred it from our jerry can's to our fuel tanks, Monte @Blackdawg and Mike racing with their spouts; both teasing me about the (slow) speed of my siphon. But, I'm still a fan of the siphon, even if this time I did manage to pull it out of the neck of the gas tank, spilling gas all over the side of my truck! Doh! :censored:

Tanks replenished, we were ready to go. Out of camp and back on the curvy road we'd sped down the night before, we had a blast, stopping only once along the finger that is SB point to capture the canyon as we headed onto the plateau.

Away from the canyon and back on the flat, the sky may have been dreary, but the landscape was as vibrant as ever - the water having scrubbed the dust from foliage, and pollution from the air. As we made our way east toward Kanab Point, we took it all in - reveling in the nearly dustless roads as we went.

We made good time, and it was only 11:00am when we reached Kanab Point - really, a series of four points with views of the Grand Canyon. As usual, we couldn't explore just one and so it was that we got out of the trucks to see just what the first overlook had to offer. Photos can never really capture something as large as the canyon in any way that convey's it's magnitude, but we were all once again stunned as we tried to make out which of the deep ravines was the main channel and marveled at the erosive forces of water all around us.

And then we were off to what turned out to be the main overlook at Kanab Point. Mike was the first to roll up, and over the CB he let us know that it was a "Top-of-the-World" situation. Excited as ever to lean out over nothingness, Monte and I headed over. It wasn't quite as we'd expected, but we lined up anyway and took it all in once again - definitely no complaints from us!

The views of the Grand Canyon here were great too - helped by a few breaks in the clouds that let a bit more sunlight down into the crevices. But still, there was no way to capture the vastness.

And with that, we checked out the remaining overlooks. One of them was right on a finger - a cool view to see the rim of the canyon and it's crumbling boulders just a few steps ahead - for now, but not forever. And in the distance, the layers of rock, eroded over millions of years.

F.U.Rain Day 4 - And So It Begins...

turbodb

F.U.Rain Day 5 - Amazing Aspen and Electrical Storms
October 3, 2018.

It was a breezy (but dry!) night on the edge of the canyon, the updrafts from the walls constantly buffeting the fabric of the tent. Little did we know that we were in for much, much worse!

But, we're getting ahead of ourselves.

The breeze did help to clear out the clouds a bit by early morning, and knowing that we could have a spectacular view, I'd set my alarm for "before sunrise" - to try and catch that orange glow that I love on the horizon.

I'd also put the camera in the tent with me, so it was oh-so-nice to snap a few shots while cozy under the covers (balancing the camera on the spare tire), and then curl back up for another hour of sleep! Of course, that sleep was restless - having seen the orange, I knew that as the sun rose, it would light up the sky - so eventually I gave in and climbed out of the tent.

Totally worth it.

Lucky as I was to experience this, I could see in the distance that cloud cover was on its way. Now, it was a race between the sun and clouds - would we get any sun on the trucks? On the walls of the Grand Canyon? Monte @Blackdawg was clearly wondering the same thing as he climbed out of his tent - the earliest I'd see him all trip!

And then, the sun poked through. It was a fleeting moment, and it barely lit the canyon, but the long orange rays spilled over the trucks in all their glory.

And with that, the clouds moved in. We were bummed to not have a longer display in the canyon, but still - it was a nice way to greet the day...for two of us. Realizing that Mike @Digiratus wasn't awake yet, Monte headed over to his tent and climbed the ladder - "For a better angle!" he joked as Mike woke enough to push him off. ?

We all set about with breakfast and camp tear down as the sun struggled to peak through the clouds again.

Eventually, everything put away and us ready to go, the sun started to win it's battle against some of the clouds, finally lighting up the canyon a brilliant maroon.

With that, we were off! With only a couple more days along the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, we wondered what today's views would bring. Little did we know that the highlight might not be views of the canyon at all!

Our journey began - as usual - by retracing the last of our steps from the evening before. Back to the main road, under the sun - the clouds breaking up above us, the blue sky beckoning us forward. Even better, the bit of rain we'd gotten the day before was helping to keep the dust down - allowing us to stay closer together as we made good time.

So it was that by 10:30am - a time when we might normally just be heading out of camp - we were already many miles into our day, already having made a turn east towards our next destination. As we continued forward and climbed in elevation, the landscape around us changed. Gone were the Junipers and high-desert scrub that we'd mainly driven through to this point; oaks, and then a mix of oaks and pine covered the hills all around us.

And it was fall. And they were colorful!

This was definitely not what any of us thought of when we thought of the Grand Canyon, and it was hard to continue to make good time on this section of road - the views so different than what we'd experienced thus far. So we didn't, for a while. In fact, it was so nice and our pace was such that I even decided it was time to change into shorts - something I was sure wouldn't happen again for the remainder of the trip after our rainy encounter the day before.

Eventually of course, we continued on - having a blast, or should I say blasting - through the remains of yesterday's weather.

- - - - -

F.U.Rain Day 5 - Amazing Aspen and Electrical Storms

turbodb

F.U.Rain Day 6 - Less Than Two Seconds

By midnight the wind had picked up significantly. 40-mph gusts buffeting our tents. Rain, blowing sideways. And then, at 2:12am - lightning, and a lot of it.

I'd slept well through the rain, earplugs doing their job to mute the noise of the drops on the tent. But they did little to soften that first clap of thunder. It wasn't until the next flash of lightning that I could count the delay - about 8 seconds - not too bad.

But then more lightning. And more. It was constant, as the wind continued to whip at the tent. And it was getting closer. 7 seconds. Then 5. Eventually, I could barely count "one-one-thousand, two-one" before the thunder would crash through the night. Less than two seconds.

"******** you rain."

Needless to say, my heartbeat picked up rather dramatically at that point and I hoped I was as safe in the tent as I'd be in the truck.

The electrical storm lasted a stressful hour before moving on, at which point my earplugs went back in and the patter of rain on the tent lulled me to sleep until 5:45am when my alarm went off and I looked out the window to see a sliver of orange on the horizon, and a bit of sunlight on the tops of the clouds above.

The rain had stopped, and unsure what was in store, I contemplated getting up and putting away the tent immediately. Instead, as I climbed down the ladder, I was distracted by an eerie glow all around - it seemed that the early morning sun was somehow reflecting off the orange ground back up to the clouds. I knew what it'd be to view the word through orange glasses.

Excited to see the view from Point Sublime, I donned my jacket and headed down the road, through the mud. I could tell immediately that - unlike previous days where the rain mostly knocked down the dust - this was not going to be a fun drive.

The view from Point Sublime was expansive. I'd have loved it to be sunny, clear, and warm, but it was hard to complain as I looked out over the Grand Canyon - the only person in the world with such a view at that moment in time.

My solitude didn't last long however - Monte'd @Blackdawg heard me leave camp and that had been enough to get him out of bed and down the road to the point a few minutes after me - a welcome companion with which to share the moment.

"How about that lightning?" - I'm not sure which of us said it first, but it was top of mind for each of us - Monte just as uncomfortable as the storm passed as I'd been. We discussed it for a while, reveled in the fact that we were still alive, and then got back to enjoying the early morning light as the sun tried to break through the clouds.

But then - as we'd seen the night before - a storm across the canyon, moving directly toward us. Sharing a quick glance, we both knew we needed to get back - and after a few final shots, we headed that direction. Too late. About halfway to camp we were caught in a downpour; and then hail. Lucky for us, the hail was small - pin-head size - and so luckily no risk to our gear.

We huddled again under Mike's @Digiratus awning waiting for the storm to pass, Mike still asleep above. I kicked myself for not getting the tent put away (wet, but at least not in the rain) earlier - it being so much nicer to put gear away when you aren't getting drenched yourself!

After about an hour, the storm cell passed and we ventured out from the protected area - Mike now awake as well, working on his coffee.

The tents went away sopping wet - all of us hoping that we'd find a dry camp in the evening where things could air out before we had to crawl back inside, Monte informing us that this was the benefit of keeping your sleeping bag and pillow in the cab, rather than packed in the tent all the time. Of course, that's super inconvenient so Mike and I both just kept doing it the way we've always done it - the right way.

And with that, we headed out of camp - Mike in the lead - to our final destination on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon - the North Rim Visitor Center.

We didn't make it far before stopping though. An astute reader may recall that the day before, we'd found an overlook with amazing fall colors that simply wasn't well-lit. With the partly-cloudy morning, it still wasn't ideal, but the sun was definitely in a better place - the canyon wall ablaze in color, even as clouds stacked up over distant folds.

Eventually we bid farewell to Point Sublime and got on our way, hoping that the rain from the last 12 hours wouldn't cause us too much trouble. And of course, there were parts of it that we enjoyed...

This section of trail - as had been the case with the trail the day before - was also surrounded by Aspen in full fall display, crisp and clear in the clean air, and reflected in the plethora of puddles that we continually paused to capture as they catapulted away from the trail and our tires.

And so it was that we continued on - our pace once again slowed by the unexpected scenery we found just back from the edge of the Grand Canyon. Mike leading, we hit the edge of a small meadow and I called over the CB for him to stop (again). I mean, how could we pass up a view like this?

- - - - -

F.U.Rain Day 6 - Less Than Two Seconds

Gs WK2

I just read your whole trip report on your web site. Very nice and love your pictures. The overlook of Lake Powel I had no idea was so pretty. Added some places to my Google Maps want to go places. Thanks for taking the time!

turbodb

F.U.Rain Day 7 - We Arrive at Alstrom Point
October 5, 2018.

I'm pretty sure it didn't rain all night. It was amazing. You can imagine my surprise when I awoke just before sunrise and could see blue sky along the entire horizon, my open tent window (door really) facing east.

But it was chilly, and rather than get up to take photos, I opted instead to stay warm and toasty under my comforter - definitely the right decision! And so I stayed for another hour or so until the sun started peaking over the horizon, warming the air, my tent, and ultimately me - to the point where I figured I might as well get up have some breakfast. It was 7:43am after-all!

Dressed, I climbed down the ladder. Of course, to descend the ladder, I was now facing west - and imagine my surprise when I looked up and saw dark, ominous rain clouds bearing down on us over the mountains. In fact, so close were they that just as my feet hit the ground, the first drops of rain hit the top of my head, the sun still shining on camp from the east.

"******** you rain!" - this was becoming somewhat of an unwelcome tradition, to say the least.

Then, as fast as I could grab my camera, it appeared. And boy, was it (were they!) bright.

Unsure what to do next, I moved under the overhang of my tent to stay dry - only to notice that the other end of the rainbow landed right on Mike's @Digiratus camp.

Well, needless to say, I wasn't going to let a little rain get in the way of the opportunity that was clearly presenting itself. And with that, I donned my jacket and headed out to really capture the situation. See, it turns out that when you have really bright, warm, morning sunlight shining below the clouds, and a rainstorm moving directly overhead, you apparently get some of the coolest, most vibrant rainbows imaginable.

It was unfortunate that I was the only one up to experience it!

The rain tailed off after about 30-minutes, and so did the rainbow - clouds now covering the eastern horizon. The pitter-patter had obviously woken both Mike and Monte @Blackdawg, since as soon as it stopped, both of them made their way out of their tents to see what the day had in store.

It was obvious from looking up that the likelihood the tents would dry out before we put them away was near zero, but that didn't keep us from eating breakfast first - in the hopes that some random act of warmth would spontaneously dry the tents. There was no such random act though, and by 9:30am breakfast was over and we had everything folded away - wet again - and were back on the trail - just a couple miles to go until we hit highway 89A near Vermilion Cliffs.

With some real pavement in front of us, for the first time in five days we aired up our tires. We'd traveled over 500 miles in that time on dirt roads, with just a few miles of pavement mixed in for fuel. Awesome!

Highway 89A turned out to be a beautiful route in it's own right as we traveled past Vermilion Cliffs National Monument, stopping several times to capture the red plateau as it grew nearer and larger. Oh, and of course we couldn't pass up the pull-out on the highway with a matching (though still stock) Tacoma to my truck - so little looking next to our rigs!

Then, it was back on the pavement - amazing how smooth it felt after five days on dirt - for a few more miles to the Navajo Bridge. This is one of only 7 bridges across the Colorado River over a stretch of 750 miles, and has a colorful history, matching it's surroundings.

In the 1870s, pioneers from Utah began to expand their settlements into northern Arizona. Nearly 600 miles of deep canyons along the Colorado River stood in their way. One of the only places a wagon could reach the river from both north and south was at the mouth of Glen Canyon, 5 miles upstream from today's bridge. The area was a natural corridor between Utah and Arizona, and in 1873 a ferry was established there; named Lee's Ferry after its first ferry operator, John D. Lee. The ferry understandably became an important route for pioneers, settlers and local traffic so when automobiles started using it in the 1920's, it was clear that a safer mechanism needed to be put in place.

It was an historic day when, on January 12, 1929, the bridge was opened to traffic. At the time, it was the highest steel arch bridge in the world and made traveling between Utah and Arizona significantly safer. As Prohibition was in effect, the bridge was christened with a bottle of ginger ale and for the next five years was known as the Grand Canyon Bridge. In 1934, after great debate in the Arizona legislature, the official name was changed to Navajo Bridge.

Today, there are two bridges where there used to be just one. After 66 years, as automobiles and trucks became larger, wider, and heavier, the need for a stronger, wider bridge became evident. So it was that in May of 1993, construction of a new bridge began. It'd take two years and a lot of care to ensure the safety of the Colorado River traffic below, but on May 2, 1995, traffic was diverted onto the new Navajo Bridge.

Today, both bridges are still in operation - the historic bridge an amazing viewpoint for the new one, and a great way to get an amazing view of the Colorado River as it passes through Marble Canyon.

We spent a good amount of time at the bridge, taking in all of the history as well as some of the Native American art/craft work that was for sale in the parking lot. Beautiful work really - the handmade stuff is clearly very labor intensive, and you pay for it - the main vase in this photo had a $450 asking price.

Eventually we pulled ourselves away and hit the road again. We had a destination in mind for lunch on Lake Powell, with at least two stops before that - and it was already 11:00am - time to get moving! So it was that we headed northeast - up and over/through Antelope Pass, the Vermilion Cliffs and Marble Canyon now in the near distance; us on our way to a sight Monte'd been talking up all trip - Horseshoe Bend.

- - - - -

F.U.Rain Day 7 - We Arrive at Alstrom Point

turbodb

F.U.Rain Day 8 - The Grand Bench is a Grand Mess
October 6, 2018.

The warm, pleasant weather continued through the night - a welcome respite for us all - so as morning rolled around and I woke just before sunrise, I was excited to look out the tent window and see the sky starting to light up over Lake Powell.

As sometimes happens, I'd planned ahead - hoping really for this situation - and I had my camera in the tent with me. So, having woken at exactly the right time, I spent the next several minutes enjoying the pinkish-orangish-purplish light as it illuminated the surroundings. And then, as quickly as it started, it was over. I'd had only a single perspective and a few minutes, but it was perfect.

Content - and frankly, happy with myself for having the camera in the first place - I proceeded to fall back asleep for another 45-minutes. Morning sleep is definitely some of the best! Eventually though, the light started to pick up outside and snapped one more photo from the warm of my bed.

I then ventured out of the tent to start the day. Clouds had moved in overnight, adding drama to an already amazing view and I wandered out to the end of the point, enjoying the peace and quiet (our neighbors were still asleep - or at least quiet as well).

By the time I got back, the Mike @Digiratus and Monte @Blackdawg were up and about, equally thrilled with the morning we were having - never underestimate the joy of a dry tent! ? As I arrived back in camp, we had a quick pow-wow and decided that this would be a great morning to do a big breakfast - a relatively short bit of trail in front of us for the day, and this amazing view to soak in that much longer.

Monte got started on bacon and eggs, and Mike fired up his stove for hash browns.

Meanwhile, I got to work replacing my AC idler pulley - the bearing on it having started to go a few days earlier, and my hope that it would "fix itself as I continued to drive through muddy washes" turning out to be more fantasy than reality. Having done this just a year earlier, I had a spare in my kit and the swap (to this new, higher-quality replacement) was a straight-forward procedure; re-tightening the belt the hardest part.

Still, I made sure to be efficient about the whole thing since it doesn't take long to cook bacon and eggs, and there was no way I was going to miss this breakfast when it was ready! And let me tell you, breakfast was amazing - thoroughly enjoyed by all three of us!

Stomach's full, we embarked on our morning ritual of packing away camp - a much easier task when everything isn't wet and muddy - and then rolled out just before 11:00am, making our way north and then east to the next finger/viewpoint - a pattern we'd established in the Grand Canyon and were now repeating here at Lake Powell.

Unlike the day before where we'd been in a rush to be the first to camp, it was nice to make the drive at a more leisurely pace this morning, stopping to check out the various overlooks as we passed them. Lots of these overlooks had fire rings as well - really, any of them would have been amazing places to stop for the evening.

- - - - -

F.U.Rain Day 8 - The Grand Bench is a Grand Mess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier