Exploring Southern Utah Episode 3, The Maze District

The Maze District of Canyonlands National Park is one of the most remote places in the U.S. The roads are a mix of dirt, gravel and slick rock. The views are stupendous and the campgrounds are just a patch of dirt.

The upper portion of the area can be reached from either Hanksville or Green River on reasonably good dirt/gravel roads. You can get to the lower section from the Hans Flat Ranger Station by dropping down the Flint Trail. Another option is taking Utah Highway 95 across the Colorado River a few miles northwest of Hite Outpost.

I was in my stock JKUR and hit bottom a few times getting out to the upper section attractions, Cleopatras Chair, Panorama Point, a slot canyon and several campgrounds with no issues. Reservations are required for the campgrounds.

The road in from Hite Outpost to the start of the Maze District (33 miles 53 kilometers) has some amazing scenery and is in good shape. I would like to go back and explore this area some more. The only problem I see going in this way is that the campgrounds in the Maze District require reservations and you need to check in at the Hans Flat Ranger Station to get your camping permit. This means that you have to climb up the Flint Trail. You will be gaining 880 feet (268 meters) over 2.4 miles (3.9 kilometers). The trail is steep with tight switchbacks.

Written trip report and photos

Exploring Southern Utah Episode 3, The Maze District

Walls of Stone near Utah Highway 95
A7S00199.jpg

Starry Night at North Point Campground
A7S00166.jpg

View from Panorama Point
A7S00139.jpg

High Spur Campground
A7S00122.jpg

Last edited:

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I'm reading this post and thinking, "What a coincidence, I just went on a trip to the exact same places"

Then I click on your link and realize I was on this trip with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior