Exploring Options for an Expedition Vehicle for Global Travel

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Another option for fitting into a container.
… BTW, I believe that diesel is the ONLY option for international travel and it is certainly the touring fuel of choice in Australia by a huge margin. Safer, more readily available, longer range, better reliability.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Roll on roll off. There are many freight companies. You will be dealing with the even more numerous agents.

Joe917

Explorer
Just as you design to fit a container you need to design for RORO. This means the ability to completetly block the living space from the driving seat to prevent theft of contents during transport.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
A lot of the cost difference shipping RORO/container has to do with the routes, and demand. For some ports container is the only option, or RORO ships visit infrequently. If there is a high demand for RORO my limited experience indicates that containers can be significantly cheaper in those cases. For frequent RORO routes you can catch a mostly empty ship for half the regular cost. Container ships visit most ports every 7-14 days, while RORO ships may only be once a month, or only a few times a year for certain routes. I had some friends end up waiting 2 months for an RORO opening. They booked with one carrier, but it kept getting put off/canceled due to lack of cargo or similar. With container you can just opt for another container ship, as they come and go frequently.

Sailmike

Sounds like it's just a matter of planning the trip around the RORO ports and shipping dates leaving room for error. Is there some way to find out which RORO shipping companies are best for certain destinations? Or just ask around on this forum?

Just as you design to fit a container you need to design for RORO. This means the ability to completetly block the living space from the driving seat to prevent theft of contents during transport.
How do you mean?

shade

If there's an unsecured passage between the cab & living space, someone with access to the cab can easily enter the living space - your home. You'll want to restrict access so the Bad Man won't rifle through your belongings while you're away from your vehicle with it in their care.

Seems like a good idea to incorporate something like that whenever the interior lends itself to it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The payload for each configuration is listed in the sales information. If there is an option you can unbolt to reduce weight, that adds directly to the payload. In general the following increase payload, but follow the MFGs info.

Stiffer springs
lower ride height
smaller wheels
gasoline engines (big diesels are heavy)
stiffer anti-sway bars
bigger brakes

Sailmike

The Ford website doesn't give details on what each of the options adds. The 11,400 GVWR package option doesn't explain what that option adds. Likewise, the snowplow/camper package option. I noticed that some posters on this forum mentioned the snowplow/camper package, but I don't know what it adds.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Do you need to know the details of every package? I would take the MFGs payload limits as law. Knowing what parts are changed would be helpful, but there is no easy way to work out a vehicles safe payload once you start changing parts. The MFG takes huge amount of data and experience into that determination.

Last edited:

shade

The Ford website doesn't give details on what each of the options adds. The 11,400 GVWR package option doesn't explain what that option adds. Likewise, the snowplow/camper package option. I noticed that some posters on this forum mentioned the snowplow/camper package, but I don't know what it adds.

I would take the MFGs payload limits as law.

Not that it comes up often with light trucks, but law enforcement officers consider it that way. It's the only source that has significant engineering behind it that evaluates the entire vehicle.

Bama67

Snow Plow package will get you heavy duty front springs which will net you about 1-2" of lift on the front as well as the bigger HD alternator.

Camper Package on the back gets you overload springs on an F250 which basically makes the rear end a F350.

Whatever you do, get the 4.30 gears. The 6.2 likes to rev.

I bought a 2018 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed STX with power everything, productivity screen, 360 cameras (nice) and a few other options for $40,000
Hell of a deal for such a capable vehicle.

Oh and it's huge and I average 16-17mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne