Exploring Options for an Expedition Vehicle for Global Travel

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Really up to what creature comforts you want.

Id certainly go with the FX4 package, regardless of trim level.
FX4 gets you skid plates and a rear locker.

Once real bonus with Ford is that you can go FX4 in any trim level.

Personally, Ive stuck with XLT trucks throughout the years.
Decent fitout, without a huge price penalty.

And with these newer can-bus trucks, adding options such as remote start and running board lights is very easy.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd go with an F350, 6.2, STX, with the FX4 package. It will be a couple of grand cheaper than an XLT and have most of the same options.

If you wait until the 2020 model year you can get a 10 speed instead of the 6 speed.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
While I like pickup trucks for various uses, They are not well suited for full time overland travel. Mostly due to the extra weight and reduced space created by the bed, and the long hood eating interior space. You are saddled with an unnecessary leftover from the trucks previous life with the bed. Ditch the bed and go with a camper that replaces it if at all possible.

Before you decide on the vehicle to buy, I strongly suggest you rent/borrow a few different options. A compact class C/B, truck-bed camper, campervan, anything else that suits your fancy. I see way to many folks jump into the full time travel life. They pick whatever vehicle first caught their imagination. Be it #vanlife, #trucklife, or just a wrangler with a RTT. Often they find themselves limited by their initial impulse choice. Either by space, weight , reliability, capability. Given you may put a year of hard daily work into a custom overland camper, this is not something you should trust your gut on. Open your horizons (if they are not already open), and work through the gambit of options.

Look at what current overlanders are using successfully long term. People spending less than 6 months on the road, and those with a stick-house home base generally don't count. There is a huge difference between semi-full time, and true international overlanding. Search for honest unvarnished reports (NOT influencers). These types of reports include the good and the bad in an objective manner.

Most long term travelers in this category opt for vehicles that have the most usable floor space, while balancing exterior footprint. You will not see many pickup trucks (there are some folks who use the platform, such as @locrwln, see his build thread).

Don't be lured by the "Exponess" of a vehicle. Everyone seems to want a big 4x4 on 40" tires. One with the widest stance, biggest bumpers, and heaviest "armor". The truth is you will definitely avoid dragging your home across 200 miles of brutal washboard if possible. You won't be driving technical trails, and 95%+ of your driving will probably be on maintained roads. The truth is you may not even even need 4x4!

Instead of sacrificing heavily in many areas of comfort, storage, fuel economy, etc. Many opt to use a modest size commercially produced RV. Add a carrier and a small motorcycle. The moto will take you places you would never take a car/truck/RV. While many folks try very hard to find empty car-camping, I find that the best spots are found backpacking/hiking. Nothing deters the seething tourist hordes like a 5 miles trek.

As far as vehicle parts go, in wide reaching travels, you will inevitably be the mechanic, or at least by the one advising the local. Parts will have to be shipped air mail. Even if you find a XXXX dealer in another country, they may not have access to the parts you need, or even know what your engine type is.

Sailmike

That's a good idea to rent first before buying. I may do that depending on how much they charge for the rental. I agree that 95% of my trips will be on paved roads. While, the AWD Honda CRV handled the gnarly roads I was on pretty well, I would have been more comfortable in an F350 4 x 4 with the tires to match. It'll take quite a bit of getting used to though.

sg1

Adventurer
I have been on the road in Africa, Europe and the Americas since 2010 and I can only confirm what luthji is saying. If you are full timing you want enough creature comforts to be reasonably comfortable even in bad conditions when clean washrooms and showers are scarce and you spend a lot of time indoors. It helps a lot if your vehicle is light because if you are stuck or you need a tow any light duty truck or van can help you. Being small helps with shipping costs, narrow roads and fuel consumption. Except for older model Sprinters there are no vehicles in North America which you can find outside North America. 4wd is nice to have but many Overlanders on a budget manage any continent without it. If you really want to travel outside North America you should think about an older model Sprinter van. They are everywhere in the world. The new model has emission control systems that are not reliable in the third world. If you will likely stay in the Americas get a pick up, remove the bed and put a composit fiberglass box on it.

shade

If you decide on an F350, opting for a chassis cab model would make sense if you're already considering removing the bed.

Instead of sacrificing heavily in many areas of comfort, storage, fuel economy, etc. Many opt to use a modest size commercially produced RV. Add a carrier and a small motorcycle. The moto will take you places you would never take a car/truck/RV. While many folks try very hard to find empty car-camping, I find that the best spots are found backpacking/hiking. Nothing deters the seething tourist hordes like a 5 miles trek.
It's good to know that North American mobs aren't the only kind that fear stepping off the boardwalk.

I'd at least have a bicycle along for those reasons. If you have a two-wheeler with you, having the ability to strap a 20L jerry can to it for fuel or water transportation back to your main vehicle would seem useful. A bike would also help save on fuel cost and wear on the main vehicle, especially if it meant keeping it off rough tracks.

Being small helps with shipping costs, narrow roads and fuel consumption.

I'm looking from the outside in, but this seems like a point that can have a significant impact for world travel. I'm guessing that major differences in shipping costs can come down to just a few inches in vehicle size.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The biggest limitation for shipping is the height and width of a high cube container door. If you can't fit in one, you are stuck with RORO, which is more expensive and limited in routes.

shade

The biggest limitation for shipping is the height and width of a high cube container door. If you can't fit in one, you are stuck with RORO, which is more expensive and limited in routes.
I noticed you used "shipping wheels" to lower your Sprinter. Is that a common tactic?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I noticed you used "shipping wheels" to lower your Sprinter. Is that a common tactic?
Not very, but some purpose built overland rigs can fit using them. I got the idea from euro cabover campers.

Joe917

Explorer
RORO is cheaper than container shipping.
Ford pick ups seem to be almost non existent in most of south America. The hood of an American pu is a huge waste of space that also increases turning radius, not an issue in the US. Friends with a chev pu travelling in Argentina needed to replace their rad hose, a Toyota part was the only option.
Forget mailing parts to most of South America unless you have lots of time to wait and lots of money for duties.
If you want to travel the world look at world vehicles, Mercedes, Toyota.
North America buy a pick up.

sg1

Adventurer
Container shipping certainly is more flexible than RoRo because you can ship basically from anywhere to anywhere. But in my experience (we shipped 6 times so far) it is only cheaper if you can share a 40 foot container with someone else. But given your budget the priority is to get some reliable wheels which aren't too big and heavy and are a good base for a build. Easy if you're likely to stay in the Americas, more of a challenge if you actually venture off shore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles