Exploring Colorado Becomes Redhead Down

turbodb

September 15, 2019.

It was 2:00pm when I parted ways with Pops in eastern California - our relaxing trip into the Sierras just the start of a 3 week journey for me. The next two weeks would be adventuring to - and then through - Wyoming and Colorado with some of the normal folks - Mike @Digiratus and Monte @Blackdawg (and his dad Steve), and also a new face to me - Brett @Squeaky Penguin.

I've been wanting to meet Brett for quite some time now, so I was definitely looking forward to the opportunity. But here I am getting ahead of myself already - first, I needed to make my way east. I'd save myself 18 hours or so by leaving from California vs. going home before heading east - but it was still an 18-hour drive to our rendezvous in Rawlins, WY.

With 24 hours to get there, I figured I would be just fine. Plus, the first leg of the journey would be amazing - I was driving through Yosemite National Park!

My route through Yosemite took me up and over Tioga Pass - one of the most scenic drives in the park if you ask me - and shortly after starting the climb, I was rewarded with a spectacular view. There, in the distance - El Capitan and Half Dome. Wow.

48824423958_a8b6ff12c6_h.jpg

48824423738_8c67d4a113_h.jpg

I continued my climb, the speeds slow due to both traffic and park speed limits - but I didn't care. This was the first time I've been through Yosemite in 25-30 years or so, and I was happy to soak it all in!

48824790236_60cc42833b_h.jpg

48824790086_8438dbec66_h.jpg

Eventually I found myself at Olmsted Point and figured that I this must be the pinnacle of the experience - the distant and foreground views of granite so stunning as they unfolded before my eyes.

48824948982_8c82312a34_h.jpg

Little did I know that I was only just starting to see the wonders of Tioga Pass. Here, on the upper plateau, many gems awaited me along the next several dozen miles of road, starting with a rather distant view of Tenaya Lake and the surrounding mountains.

Glad I'm headed that way!

48824789586_751d7bcbd3_h.jpg

48824789486_3f17a90f3b_h.jpg

48824948372_de3c4a0cff_h.jpg

Not knowing that I'd be lucky enough to get to the lake's edge, I was like a kid in a candy store when I discovered that not only did the road skirt much of the lake, but there was almost no one out and about at the lake itself. Well, no one but me that is.

48824422343_f83e62f2a1_h.jpg

48824422183_9823158d7f_h.jpg

The color of the water - and clarity - was spectacular. Blues and greens. Oh, I could have spent many more hours enjoying this spot - but as it was, I knew that I had a limited time to make my journey...and Google Maps hadn't allocated me much time for sight seeing! ?

I continued on - noting the vehicles parked on the side of the road as granite faces rose around me. These were climbers, and having recently watched the movie Free Solo, I was doubly mesmerized by their daring heights.

48824788571_aebfd53bc6_h.jpg

48824947422_45c0d89f89_h.jpg

From Tenaya Lake, a turn here and a hill crest there spit me out at something I thought I'd missed entirely: Tuolumne Meadows. A stark contrast to the granite and trees I'd experienced so far, the bright yellow of the fall grass was like a magnet, pulling me across the highway for a closer look. A hike here would have been special, and is something I will return for in the future.

48824788191_8a6a597709_h.jpg

48824425008_3e6f546ae6_h.jpg

By this time, it was already 5:00pm and while my GPS assured me that I'd only lost about 17 minutes on my overall journey, I was starting to feel the pressure - after all, I still had to make it through the rest of Yosemite, Nevada, part of Utah, and a bit of Wyoming before rendezvousing with Monte and his dad.

So as I came upon Dissappearing Meadows, I did the only thing I could - I stopped to soak it in again. Who knows - if this place really is disappearing, and it takes me another 25 years to return...I may never see it again. At least, that was my justification.

48824424908_232b170bcd_h.jpg

48824791596_02cc97b6fd_h.jpg

From here though, the park boundary wasn't far - Tioga Pass itself marking the beginning of my descent towards the Nevada border. If I've ever seen this place before, I have zero recollection of it - a fact I was thankful for as I got to experience it for the first time (perhaps again).

48824791446_f998e8ad62_h.jpg

Out of the park and onto more traditional freeways, my speed increased dramatically. Or at least comparatively. Cruising along at my standard 62mph, I pressed east. My goal for the evening was to make it across Nevada to near the border with Utah, somewhere around the town of West Wendover. From there, I figured it to be around six more hours to Rawlins, WY - something I could accomplish after a few hours sleep.

As the sun set behind me, I pushed on. Stopping only for food and fuel it was between 1:00am and 2:00am when I pulled of I-80 onto a gravel road and wound my way up into the hills.

48824424433_daef898dac_h.jpg

A few miles from the highway I found what I considered to be a reasonably good spot to stop. A bit of wind break from some junipers, and a barely-there road were enough for me to feel confident that I wasn't going to see any other folks in the few hours that I'd be resting, and I turned the wheel in order to maneuver the truck into a more level position.

Except that I'd missed a rock that was below my line of sight. Within seconds, the front skid plate bounced up the rock and came to a stop on top of it, all four wheels still on the ground, but traction such that I was essentially high centered.

Yeah, go ahead an laugh. I know I wasn't.

I tried a few different things - forward and reverse obviously, but also various combinations of lockers. Nothing was getting me off that rock. Ultimately, I busted out the Hi-Lift and used it to lift the passenger side of the truck via the slider, so I could then roll backwards on three wheels, away from the rock - hoping that the Hi-Lift would fall away from the truck as I came down.

It worked a charm, and with only my ego bruised, I set up the tent and promptly fell asleep.

- - - - -

September 16, 2019.

I was up just before sunrise, knowing that since I was about an hour shy of West Wendover. With a 2:00pm meet time in Rawlins, I knew that I'd be cutting it close. Luckily, it was a meet time with Monte - so I figured I probably had a couple hour buffer as well!

The miles ticked by as I crossed vast fields of high desert. Windmills, churning around and around broke up the skyline as they generated clean power for thousands of homes.

48824424318_9214ef6c2f_h.jpg

I think it was around lunch time - at least for me - when I crossed into Wyoming. This was a sign that's become familiar for me the last few years - many of my trips seemingly making their way through this underappreciated state.

48824950087_51b29f9818_h.jpg

As I pulled into Rawlins, it was a little before 3:00pm. The truck needed fuel, I needed a restroom, and soon we'd be on our way to new sights and experiences. I found a nice spot in the shade and set myself up to relax while I waited for Monte and Steve to arrive from the north.

Little did I know that what was shaping up to be a splendiferous trip would turn into something that none of us could have ever expected!

turbodb

Redhead Down #2: ******, There's a Bat in My Tent!

I didn't wait in Rawlins long before Monte @Blackdawg and his dad Steve @woodnick showed up at the gas station across the street. Their trucks fueled up, we said our warm hellos and set about our first task of the trip - buying firewood.

It's here - before I even really get into the story - that I have a confession to make. I do this only because it may be my last opportunity - this trip changing the way we approached camp fires all together.

I don't like buying bundles of firewood.
To me, it just seems like burning money. :ROFLMAO:

It feels that way because - yep - that's literally what's happening.

And, for any really good camp fire, you need at least two or three bundles of wood, which means you're out a good $15 per night of camping. Or - and this is how we often ended up - you try to go sparingly on the wood, making two bundles stretch over three nights - and then everyone is freezing from 8:00pm to midnight when it's finally time to go to bed.

Regardless, we hadn't yet gotten to the point in the trip where we were past the need for bundles of wood - so five more bundles were purchased, to supplement the wood I'd brought from my workshop, and the bundle that Monte already had in his truck. And then, we headed south towards dirt!

48830295811_a9b48d265e_h.jpg

We soon found ourselves on that dirt as we thundered down Sage Creek Road - which was really more of a gravel highway - until we blew by a sign next to a cattle grate where we caught only one word: closed. Turns out that there was apparently active logging on this road, and so it was closed to public use during working hours. Luckily for us, it was 4:57pm, and the road was "open" from 5:00pm to 6:00am, so we waited three minutes and set off once again. It was soon apparent that the closure was warranted.

48830461832_d6e53c46f8_h.jpg

We continued for less than an hour before arriving at the spot that Monte had thought we might camp - a little lake (reservoir) off of the main road. Unfortunately, the last half mile or so was gated, and while there was clearly a well-traveled bypass, it was labeled "Private Property ... Foot Traffic Only." Still keen to see where we could have camped, we set out on foot and discovered some old cabins and a spot that would have been sweet to camp at.

48829918698_e05a12b1b8_h.jpg

48830461657_8460c882d4_h.jpg

A bit bummed, but knowing we'd have plenty more awesome spots on our journey, we headed back to what had become a makeshift camp area at the gate where we'd left the trucks and set up for the evening.

48830295461_72cdfee72f_h.jpg

We'd all had long drives over the course of the day, and a few sprinkles of rain helped us to keep dinner and the camp fire relatively short - all of us retiring to our tents by around 10:00pm. All of us except the dogs that is - Bix and Satch - they were keen to stay up all night, protecting camp and investigating the surrounding area; oblivious to the fatigue that would cause in the morning.

- - - - -​

September 17, 2019.

It was a pleasant night, the cloud cover that brought a few sprinkles the previous evening keeping the temperatures a bit more temperate than the clear sky nights we'd encounter from this point forward, but they'd cleared by the morning - a beautiful blue sky spread above camp.

48829918498_27cc6f47ee_h.jpg

With Steve in camp, Monte was tasked with preparing breakfast - eggs and bacon - and I took the opportunity to head back up to the reservoir to check it out in the morning light. It was a nice walk, nature waking up around me, and while the lake was still in the shadow of the mountain to it's southeast, there were plenty of other things vying for my attention.

A small stream flowing out of the reservoir, fingerling fish darting here and there. Bright green algae in the water, waving in the current. And huckleberries - tons of huckleberries. I picked a few to bring back to camp, having learned on our trip to Canada that Monte had never seen these wild delicacies before.

48830295261_2e0076040a_h.jpg

48830295146_3a7fc8f2da_h.jpg

48830295076_1f13b7052b_h.jpg

As I arrived back in camp, breakfast was ready and - having assumed I'd eat cereal that morning - I was thrilled that an extra serving of bacon and eggs had been prepared for yours truly! We ate up and chatted for a while - we were in no rush this morning, since we'd planned to meet Mike @Digiratus around noon, not too far away.

It was 10:00am or so when we finally started getting our things together and as I lifted the ladder to fold my Mt. Shasta @Cascadia Tent onto the bed rack, I was shocked at what I saw between my mattress and the anti-condensation mat. It was a bat!

48830461167_9c56209eb4_h.jpg

That bat had been in my tent - likely all night! I hoped that it'd been crushed quickly when I got into the tent, and that it hadn't suffered as I'd slept soundly through the night. It was a tiny bat - probably only a few inches long - and nearly weightless.

48829917958_a046ebd4a5_h.jpg

Regardless, there was definitely a bit of excitement around camp as the discovery was made, and it delayed our departure by a few minutes as the situation was remedied. But before long, we were on the road - finally airing down, something we'd skipped the previous evening since the road to this point had been reasonably smooth.

48830460992_022493bc39_h.jpg

With that, and a little after 11:00am, we entered Medicine Bow - Routt National Forest and started our climb up Bridger Peak. This was a summit that Steve had planned to activate using Morse code on his HF Ham radio rig, and I for one was curious what exactly that would entail.

48829917793_3eaef29351_h.jpg

48830460687_bcddc1a638_h.jpg

48830294506_5819a88ca2_h.jpg

The climb to the top wasn't a long one - it probably only took us 45 minutes or so to get there from camp, and that included stopping for photos. But what it lacked in time, it made up for in views. We'd climbed to over 11,007 ft here along the Continental Divide, and as one of the highest peaks around, we had an amazing view of our surroundings.

48830460462_2f1dde0f45_h.jpg

48830460372_71e54877e0_h.jpg

48830294246_3f28dc88c1_h.jpg

We also had amazing views of the storms all around us. Not just any storms either - we could see even from a distance that these were lightning storms. All of us wondering how long we'd want to be up here in the highest place around, Steve set about activating the mountain - or at least attempting to.

Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos that don't fit here (due to max post size). Hopefully that can change in the future, but until then...

Hourless Life

You are a great story teller! Really made me feel as if I was right there with you guys. Are Jeeps allowed? How about Jeeps that aren't red or green? Seriously, great story and photos. Thanks for sharing, definitely worthy of a follow. I look forward to reading more of your adventures. ~ Eric

turbodb

You are a great story teller! Really made me feel as if I was right there with you guys. Are Jeeps allowed? How about Jeeps that aren't red or green? Seriously, great story and photos. Thanks for sharing, definitely worthy of a follow. I look forward to reading more of your adventures. ~ Eric
Thanks for the kind words! Given that we all met on Tacomaworld, we've never had a Jeep on the trail, but I don't think we'd be against it! Of course, you'd likely have to put up with a bit of ribbing, hahaha.

Speaking of ribbing, I ran across this the other day. All in fun.

48845728122_d2b59c6864_h.jpg

Hourless Life

I'd be the black Jeep of the family I'm sure. And for what it's worth I can dish it out as much as I can take it. Usually however, I'm too busy helping recover my Yota brothers. ?Meme away. But there's actually a bit of truth in that statement. Though not going to lie, I wish I had the payload capacity and cargo space y'all have.

Actually a really good friend of mine runs a very popular Toyota Forum and I stayed outside his home (basically in his front yard) in Utah for a couple weeks. My Jeep was the talk of every guest and visitor because of his prominence in the Yota community. It was humorous to say the least.

Seriously though, great story and sounds like a fun crew. A little lost on that whole activating the peak thing, but hey everyone has what they are into right? Glad 4 went up and 4 came back out. We'll be in Colorado for most of May and June 2021, close to the Denver area. Not sure where you are based, but it would be great to grab some grub and swap stories.

Eric

turbodb

I'd be the black Jeep of the family I'm sure. And for what it's worth I can dish it out as much as I can take it. Usually however, I'm too busy helping recover my Yota brothers. ?Meme away. But there's actually a bit of truth in that statement. Though not going to lie, I wish I had the payload capacity and cargo space y'all have.

Actually a really good friend of mine runs a very popular Toyota Forum and I stayed outside his home (basically in his front yard) in Utah for a couple weeks. My Jeep was the talk of every guest and visitor because of his prominence in the Yota community. It was humorous to say the least.

Seriously though, great story and sounds like a fun crew. A little lost on that whole activating the peak thing, but hey everyone has what they are into right? Glad 4 went up and 4 came back out. We'll be in Colorado for most of May and June 2021, close to the Denver area. Not sure where you are based, but it would be great to grab some grub and swap stories.

Eric
Honestly, you sound like you'd fit right in - we all give and dish quite a bit over the course of a trip! ? All good fun - shoot, if you can't joke around, what's the point, right?

The activation thing was cool - not something we usually do, but Steve was totally into it, and it was cool to watch a guy in his element, having a great time! Rest of the trip was a bit more "traditional" in the wheeling/camping sense!

I have no idea what next summer will bring - it turns out we were in CO for both our long trips of 2019 and 2020 - but there's a lot to see there, so who knows! Would be cool to cross paths, for sure.

Hourless Life

Where are you based out of? We travel fulltime, but we're currently "stuck" in Corpus Christi, TX for the holidays and through the end of February giving my in-law's some grandson time before we whisk him away on a drive around the world.

turbodb

Where are you based out of? We travel fulltime, but we're currently "stuck" in Corpus Christi, TX for the holidays and through the end of February giving my in-law's some grandson time before we whisk him away on a drive around the world.
I'm out of the Puget Sound these days, but find myself all over the west on a very regular basis: https://adventuretaco.com/index/ (and then I recommend the by Destination view)

Hourless Life

I've totally hijacked your thread with a convo and I apologize. Should have done it via PM. So this will be my last response here unless it is on the topic of the story. Anyway, we were up in Seattle for a bit this year helping my mother transition into assisted living. While there we connected with a group called Overland Central Washington on FB. You may look them up. Fun group of folks that we were able to spend time with on a few runs. Gave you a follow and look forward to many more of your stories in the future! ~ E

turbodb

Redhead Down #3: We Cross into Colorado

The clear Wyoming skies meant that it was a very cold night. Everything covered in frost - including our pillows and sleeping bags where we'd been breathing on them as we cozied down for warmth - even Monte @Blackdawg came out of his tent in the morning, glad for the warmer temps that the sun beamed down on camp and started to melt the frost away.

48834485632_62504af939_h.jpg

48833944513_434a692d00_h.jpg

As we all warmed up in the sun, we set about our usual morning routines - intermixed of course with chatter about what was on tap for the day, and what amazing things we hoped to see along the way. Breakfast for me was a chilly bowl of Cheerios, for Mike @Digiratus a couple cups of coffee, and for Steve @woodnick and Monte - more bacon and eggs. It was also Steve's last morning in camp, so he graciously handed over the extra eggs and lunch meat he'd brought along - we'd have more use for it in the next couple weeks than he would!

48834485302_c95f74275d_h.jpg

It took an hour or so, but everything eventually dried out and we all started to warm up - enough that I was back in the shorts and t-shirt that I'd been wearing the previous day. By 10:00am or so, we found ourselves pulling out of camp - still four trucks, but not for long!

48834314621_45f772f046_h.jpg

Somehow ending up in the lead, I enjoyed five minutes of dust-free travel as we sped along FS-80, right at the Wyoming-Colorado border. This was where Steve was set to peel off from the rest of the group to head home - leaving Mike, Monte, and me to continue west - weaving our way along the state line for much of the day before finally committing to a southern route in the state we'd planned the trip around.

48834484837_f73087da39_h.jpg

48834484652_8fe830f288_h.jpg

48833943413_ff15f122aa_h.jpg

Hugs and handshakes all around - except Monte, who was the recipient of a minute long embrace - Steve bid us safe travels and headed east as we shuffled our truck order and took off on our planned route. Our first order of business for the morning was to search for a special "camp bench" that Brett @Squeaky Penguin had built at what we could only assume was a special camp site along one of the roads we planned to drive. Unsure exactly where it was, the first half hour or so was along a nicely graded gravel road, before we turned off onto a trail signed as "MOST DIFFICULT." At least, I think that's what it said - because all I can remember is "TURN HERE FOR FUN."

48834313921_94e8244dd7_h.jpg

48834313801_bd68e57fd5_h.jpg

48833951648_42e2ab09de_h.jpg

Of course, as is often the case, this most difficult trail was perhaps slightly over classified. Sure, there were a few tight turns, but nothing here really taxed our trucks or skills in any way that could be considered noteworthy. All that meant, really, was that - as we would our way through the woods, up and over ridge lines, and along re-routes that had been created before us - we could enjoy ourselves out here in the middle of nowhere as we searched for a bench. A bench that ultimately alluded us.

48834492302_59172cbf15_h.jpg

48834492172_a40a7c2e23_h.jpg

48833951043_b856e7653e_h.jpg

To this point, we'd been lucky in that all of the road clearing had been taken care of by earlier travelers along these routes over the course of the summer. But as we headed down a section of FS-499, Monte came over the radio to let us know that there was an obstacle in the road, and my chainsaw services would be required.

48834321431_fe1f5470df_h.jpg

That was just fine with me - so you can imagine my reaction when I approached to see Monte digging around in the back of his truck for his axe! I was having none of that - this was my time to have a bit of fun, and I calmly informed him that he was crazy when we had a chainsaw right here. :sawzall: A bit of back-and-forth banter about how it might only take a few minutes longer with the axe, and I reminded him that we could get some nice campfire rounds with the chainsaw should we choose to go that route.

Checkmate. I won, and we got to work as a team - me cutting up the tree and Monte throwing the rounds into the beds of the trucks. It was a symphony of motion which lasted all of about 10 minutes before the tree was cleared and we were ready to get on our way again.

48833950473_b91c669afc_h.jpg

Underway again, we continued on our generally westerly course, looping up toward Hog Park Reservoir where we found a beautiful little spot to have lunch. We - or at least I - had no idea at the time that we'd been through Colorado in order to get here, but it didn't matter because we were once again in Wyoming as we assembled our ham and turkey sandwiches and kicked back at the lake's edge, the long grass billowing in the breeze.

48834491217_efabf7be84_h.jpg

48834491037_a51a1ce76e_h.jpg

48834490922_4b93b92504_h.jpg

Don't miss the rest of the story, and all the remaining photos that don't fit here (due to max post size). Hopefully that can change in the future, but until then...

Keep reading the rest here
Redhead Down #3: We Cross into Colorado

turbodb

Redhead Down #4: Follow Me on the Trail, Not on the 'Gram
Night was chilly but not really cold, validating our move to a lower elevation camp site the evening before, and the sun quickly warmed camp in the morning as it rose over the Agnes Mountains.

48835399261_b25ff4f1cd_h.jpg

Happy to be a band of four again, and excited to get underway, we all set about our normal morning tasks, Mike @Digiratus now in what he'd call "good company," since Brett @Squeaky Penguin was also a coffee drinker. :pc-coffee: We also took the opportunity to add five gallons of fuel to our trucks - or at least, Monte @Blackdawg, Mike and I did - so we'd have enough to make it to our next fuel stop in Steamboat Springs. Then, in what was perhaps the earliest morning departure of the trip, we were off! It was just before 9:30am.

48835571787_d1fac64cea_h.jpg

With Brett in the caravan it was like having our own living Colorado almanac and guide, and we took full advantage of it. While Monte's planned track had us making a roundabout loop on the way to Steamboat Springs, Brett instead suggested that we skip that altogether and instead spend our time on a little offshoot that he knew about. That it led down to a stream he wanted to cast a line into was just a bonus, I'm sure. ?

It was of course fine with us - we had nowhere to be but out here in the woods - and we made our way through the beginnings of fall as we headed out FS-471 toward Big Creek.

48835571662_171d41f1cf_h.jpg

48835571412_de06af76a7_h.jpg

Most of the road was reasonably tame, but as we descended from the ridge down into the valley, we got a little taste of some fun terrain. We'd get plenty more of this as the days progressed, but for now it was one of our first stretches of rockier road, and I think we all appreciated it as we stepped our way down toward the river.

48835571292_da513f20f4_h.jpg

At the bottom, the road once again flattened out - a few whoops doing little to slow our progress, everyone either running reasonably good suspension or liking speed so much that they didn't really care if they got into their bump stops.

48835398376_526229066d_h.jpg

A mile or two of higher speed travel and we'd arrived at Brett's secret fishing hole. As he pulled out a rod and line, I set about extracting the Blue 242 Loctite from my kit so I could secure a troublesome bolt on my mid-skid plate that had been working itself loose the last couple of days. Ultimately, this wouldn't be a successful trail fix - I think because the threads on the frame were a little too loose for the Loctite to grab - but I figured it was worth a shot.

48835570762_ad00cf2ec6_h.jpg

My repair taken care of for the moment, Brett too was sort-of successful. While he didn't land anything large, he did pull in a smaller trout - and I'd call that a success!

48835570692_b2b8d8f797_h.jpg

Note: Not the actual trout, but a twin in length.

Our fishing detour complete, we headed back the way we'd come, the road that had been fun on the way down, just as fun on the way back up. We also got some nice Aspen color as we made our way back, each day seemingly turning the leaves a little more golden as summer's grasp on the landscape slowly slipped away.

48835026348_96250ae9c4_h.jpg

48835397606_eddf5f343a_h.jpg

48835025878_311f25ecc9_h.jpg

It was noon - or thereabouts - when we reached the end of the dirt road and were ready to pound pavement to Steamboat Springs. We'd planned to take the Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) at this point in order to keep ourselves on dirt, but our local guide insisted that we'd just be wasting our time - time that would be better spent at a taco joint in town. That was hard to argue with - even for three expert arguers - and so we proceeded to air up for the 30 mile jaunt into town.

48835397286_f84b3f4c63_h.jpg

48835025583_b3c9a666cc_h.jpg

Steamboat Springs it turns out is a nice little tourist town with a population of 15,000 residents or so. At an elevation of 6,700', it's clear that there's lots of year-round recreation, and there's a bustle in the a historic downtown that makes the place feel fun. Not to mention - driving through town it's impossible to miss the olympic ski jump on the hillside overlooking the community - something that's got to be a lot of fun during the winter and is part of an 80-year Olympian tradition. All with the free-flowing Yampa River running right through the heart of the town makes for a seriously cool place to live. It's probably going to be hard to pull Brett out of this place.

48835397071_4d1487f455_h.jpg

Our destination was a hip joint named Taco Cabo, and while the food was tasty, it was clear to me that the hipness of the town had influenced the prices just a tad - my carne asada burrito setting me back right around $14! Next time - and for anyone who finds themselves here - I'd recommend the carne asada torta, a Mexican sandwich that looked amazing (and at the same price, like a bit better deal) when I saw it on the table next to us.

48835396986_88924520ca_o.jpg

Unfortunately, while we were enjoying our lunch, Brett wasn't feeling well and bid us farewell for a few hours so he could head home and catch a short nap. That actually worked out quite well for the rest of us - we needed to fill up on fuel, and do some restocking at the grocery store. After all, we needed to stay flush with avocados - and the guacamole we'd become addicted to at night. Oh, and we had to make one more pit stop - Advance Auto Parts for some power steering fluid - after Monte discovered that he was over a quart low when his steering started acting up! :eek:

48835569542_c74c0b27c4_h.jpg

Everything taken care of and Brett feeling well enough to re-join us, we headed south out of town, the highway weaving its way through the foothills, our four 1st gen Tacomas, their usual bad-ass selves, eyes turning as we drove by.

48835396866_976cd20a2c_h.jpg

With the 30 miles or so we'd done before lunch, and the 30 or so we had to do here, airing up had been a good call. But, as always, we were happy when we hit dirt once again on FS-100 - the joy of slower travel and new sights always winning over the opportunity for better mpgs. Having spent much of the afternoon in town, it was already 4:00pm in the afternoon, and so the discussion as we aired down was about how far we wanted to make it for the evening. Of course, our original destination - whatever that was - had long been cast aside, and ultimately we decided that we'd just start looking for something that seemed reasonable as the afternoon turned to evening. And with that, we were on our way!

48835396726_f20f3ba26f_h.jpg

One of the great things about this group is that the trip really is the destination. We never care all that much if we're on time or on track; it's no problem if at the end of the day we've traveled twice - ok, that's never happened - or half the distance we planned just a few hours earlier. And so it was this afternoon. The miles ticked away, but we stopped frequently to get out and enjoy the surroundings. After all, to speed through them would be to miss exactly what we'd come to enjoy - the time together in a beautiful place.

turbodb

Redhead Down #5: The Race
Everyone was up around about the usual time, our spot in the trees giving us a bit more shade than normal, but also helping to keep the frost at bay during the night. As everyone made breakfast, I headed over and asked Mike @Digiratus one of the strangest questions I think I've ever asked.

Did you bring your toothbrush charger?

See, for the first time ever, I brought my Sonicare toothbrush, knowing that I'd be away from home for over two weeks, and that my teeth just felt better when I used it. Anyway, it turns out that he had brought his charger and was happy to let me borrow it.

There was only one problem. His charger had some wonky pin on the platform - probably some change that Philips made in order to prompt new purchases. Undeterred, I figured I could outsmart those marketers.

Unfortunately, it turns out I was not smarter than the marketers - or at least their engineers. Even after charging all day, the toothbrush must have been just a little too far from the inductive charger - because even though the charging light flashed, it was still dead when I used it that evening!

Anyway, with my toothbrush plugged in and not charging, we headed out of camp around 10:15am, excited to get another bunch of miles under our belts. We weren't driving to the top of any spectacular Colorado peaks today, but our travels would take us to the precipice of what we'd come to this state to experience - 14,000' mountains rising up out of 10,000' ranges.

We continued along the route we'd started the evening before, winding our way south along FS-242 towards Radium Springs. As we did, one thing was for certain - the further south we went, the more colorful the Aspen seemed to be. This was a bit surprising to all of us - our assumption that colder temps up north would result in the color moving from north-to-south - but we weren't complaining. Quite the opposite; we stopped to take it all in.

Even Brett @Squeaky Penguin got out of his truck. I mean, as much as he does. ? This clearly was not one of the three* photos that would make up his detailed trip report.

<p style="font-size: .75em;">* a later declaration by the man himself increased this number to six, I believe.</p>

As the miles ticked away behind us, the road continued to zig and zag - up and over a hillside, through forests and meadows - our trucks like tiny ants along the path, trails of dust visible in the distance as the sun shown down through the billowy clouds.

Leading the way, Monte @Blackdawg would periodically pipe up over the CB or Ham - I don't recall which we were using at this point - to let us know of oncoming traffic or other notable things for us to be aware of as we followed at a distance to keep the incoming dust to a minimum. So, when he called out a "white Ford" parked on the side of the road with a couple people standing nearby, none of us really gave it a second thought.

That is, until we pulled up behind him to see two uniformed women chatting and laughing with him - they were a couple of game wardens!

Curious what we were up to, they of course assumed that we'd been out hunting and were going to check our licenses when they saw us coming down the hill. Naturally, we didn't have - or need - any, and Monte let them know that we were just out camping and driving around in our ************ rigs.

And that's when the laughing started. "Hey, you guys are all in Toyotas!?" one of them said. "I think my husband follows you on one of those forums."

<p style="text-align: center; font-size: 1.75em;">Guilty. As. Charged. :anonymous:</p>

Anyway, a bit more ********-chat and we were on our way - the radio chatter quick to poke fun at Monte for flirting with the "cute" wardens; something none of us could actually know for sure, given that we couldn't hear a word that was said. That of course spawned an argument about which warden was the cuter one, and whether she was the one with the gun or not.

With that, we completed our final descent into Radium Hot Springs along the Colorado River and took a few minutes to admire the water as it rushed by with rafters in tow.

A quick restroom break, some snacks, and a bit more ********-chat were all that kept us from getting back in our trucks immediately. But eventually it was time to set off again - now in search of a place to have lunch. Ultimately that wouldn't happen - with some entertainment - for another couple hours, though we initially planned for it to be much sooner.

Still headed south, our sights were set on a short - couple mile - side trip up to Cottonwood Peak. Still in the distance, it rose up above the surrounding hills, surely a great place to get a look around.

Along the way we passed hunters camped here and there - each of the spots we thought might be a nice place to eat lunch, already occupied. Ever closer, Cottonwood Peak in the background.

Eventually it was clear that we simply weren't going to find a good place to eat down in the lowlands, and we started our ascent up the side of Cottonwood itself. The views as we climbed were incredible - the colors around us, the rock faces on one side, and expansive views to the other were exactly the reason we're always stopping every few hundred feet.

Keep reading the rest here
Redhead Down #5: The Race

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior