Exploring backroads of Connecticut

This past Sunday, 7wt, Carl, and I decided to do some exploring around some old roads here in Connecticut. The goal was to take pics of my new truck set up for reference stuff and go over some photography techniques. Unfortunately, those plans were squashed when an hour into the adventure I got a call that my Grandmother only had a few days.

I was going to take a lot of images of the area, but with this on my mind I decided to just switch to full automatic mode and only take a few images. Most of the images I took were out of focus and uninteresting. Hopefully, we can get back soon and do some proper trip recording of the local scenery and history without outside forces clouding our minds.

This area turned out to have a pretty extensive road system, complete with a pit area for play. Anyways, here are some pics. Some are mine, some are 7wt's. I won't do much commentary this time.

IMG_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

One of the few set up pics I took.
IMG_0061-1.jpg

Damn zipper
IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

IMG_0087-1.jpg

IMG_0097-1.jpg

Too tight....thankfully the vines were easily pulled back with the help of a spotter. I stopped once I realized I would do damage to the surrounding trees.
IMG_0100.jpg

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Before others comment about the damage caused by driving up a stream bed, let me say that lots of the old farm trails in Connecticut look like the photos here. In use over hundreds of years, the road bed is worn down until it's much lower than the sides of the road. In some places, the sides of the road are higher than the vehicles. Water tends to collect in the trail.

Chip Haven

Before others comment about the damage caused by driving up a stream bed, let me say that lots of the old farm trails in Connecticut look like the photos here. In use over hundreds of years, the road bed is worn down until it's much lower than the sides of the road. In some places, the sides of the road are higher than the vehicles. Water tends to collect in the trail.

Chip Haven

Thank you Chip. I did not even think about that. Things are a bit different here in New England then out west. I know some of these old roads I travel on were here before the Revolution and some of these roads use to be main thoroughfare for stagecoaches. While they are hardly traveled now, they at one time use to be booming with traffic. Of course we do our best to Tread Lightly, but we live in a wet climate and so much of our travels deal with watery areas that travel like this is unavoidable. Oh and to make things clear, it was raining that day and we have had an unusually wet summer.

Thanks Chip, now you got me feeling all guilty now....;)

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
To echo chip's comments, not a single stream was driven in. Not that anyone questioned it. NE has some of the most spectacular trails. They are well hidden, short but oh so scenic. I can't wait to go back in the fall when the leaves start to turn. If you haven't ever seen fall in the North East, you owe it to yourself to do so at least once in your life.

Most if not all trail I have found are extremely tight. The narrow front end of the Tacoma fits the old trails perfectly. Even the slightest bit wider than a modern Taco and you are out of luck. There are times when I wish I had folding mirrors. I have kissed my rear quarter panel off more than one tree.

611830033_2FDQW-M-0.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Looking good mate. Sorry to hear about the damage, and I hear you about the trails. It's like that here in Oregon too remember??? If it rains EVERYTHING is a stream or a lake etc... ;) Great pictures and looks like ya had fun. That forest just looks wet adn cool. I love it.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
... I can't wait to go back in the fall when the leaves start to turn. If you haven't ever seen fall in the North East, you owe it to yourself to do so at least once in your life.
OH NO IT'S THE LEAFERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry that just reminded me of a Family Guy episode :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior