Explorer Pod Build

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That really just depends on what you're used to. I find metal easier to work with. I find it's easer to join two pieces of metal than two piece of wood. Also, minor gaps bewtween parts can be filled with weld, and be airtight. You can also hammer things into shape.

The only thing I find easier with wood is the cutting.

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks ...

That poor coat has been around forever, it makes a great shop and working around the place coat. That lift ticket on it must be 10 years old.

I think I'll leave the debate of wood verses metal alone, being a multi-skilled DIYer, they both have their place.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Love when people use wood.Maybe it's because my dad is a carpenter.
Maybe because i don't know how to weld.
Anyway keep up the great work:victory:

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks ex m38a1er, Nothing like the smell of fresh sawdust in the morning!

Been a busy week, little progress on the trailer, did buy the metal for the frame and got my springs order. Hope to start cutting metal this weekend.

dzzz

I like it.
I do wish you guys would build the main shell body with synthetic laminates so that your creations will last.

compactcamping

Explorer
Dzzz, Thanks, I'm curious, what are your longevity concerns about building with plywood?

From a synthetic laminate perceptive, what would you recommend building out of?

compactcamping

Explorer
Been really busy so didn’t make a lot of progress over the last week. Started cutting and tacking together the frame. Using 2x2-1/8” square tubing and 3x2-1/8” for the tongue. I plan on using Jeep YJ springs, looks like removing a few leafs on a 5 leaf rear pack will be about right for my planned 1000-1100 GVW. Unfortunately it will be a week before my spring hangers get here.

3522576387_dbc7f11b27.jpg
3523384864_9129b69720.jpg
3522576441_28c387d1f2.jpg
3523384916_cacfce5e9c.jpg

compactcamping

Explorer
Thanks Stomperxj, This is the first one I've done with a "cut-in" tongue so the main and nose box are on the same level. More work getting the frame square, but I'm happy with the outcome.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have that same Milwaukee chop saw. You have any problems with the button getting stuck? Not the button, but the internals. Button comes out, but the saw keeps going. I'm not setting off the button hold feature. The blade contact inside gets stuck.

tommudd

Explorer
Doing a great job so far, I will keep watching for more updates.:coffeedrink: Going to see where you go with this and then finish mine. All my extra funds are going for my upcoming trip to Tanzania for a month, so the trailer has to wait until my return! BUT by then yours will be done and I can get more great ideas!
Tom

compactcamping

Explorer
No, my chop saw is 7-8 years old, switch is still working fine. Looks like the handle comes a part easily for servicing it.

Thanks Tom, glad to hear you see ideas worth leveraging. A month in Tanzania sounds like a good reason to let your trailer wait for a while. I hope mines completed by the time you get back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles